Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FLAPERONS?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FLAPERONS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 AM
cjposada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLAPERONS?

I want to mod my plane to add flaperons. It has individual servos for the ailerons and the JR 6102 can be programmed to do flaperons. My question is how to set the correct throw for the flaps?

The plane is a .40 Sea Bee. Thanks again for your help.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68039.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	489998  
Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FLAPERONS?

I'm not sure that plane is well suited for flaperons but if I was going to use them I'd set the max flap deflection for 50% of max aileron recommended throw as a starting point. This will leave a good amount of "down" deflection for the aileron function. If this combination turns out to be comfortable you COULD experiment from this point.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

I use that same radio. With the R700 reciever, it should be marked for all your different channels instead of numbered, Use Ail for one side & Aux1 for the other side (no y-harness). Then go into your EPAs until you find your aileron throws & set them where you want them on both low & high rates. Then in EPAs find your flaps & set the throws there too. Now you won't need a lot of throw on your flaperons, if you do it will send it right back up in the air. I think I had to do some reversing before I got it all to work right. I believe I may have had to switch the leads between the Ail ch & the Aux1 too because I got it wrong the first time. Then I used a couple of short servo extension wires to plug into the reciever with corresponding tape of yellow for one side & red for the other so I can leave those plugged into the reciever & just plug the servo leads into the matching color tape when I take the wing off & on. You can then assign what switch you want your flaps to be on. When all is said & done, if you have it all programmed correctly you should still have aileron control while the flaperons are down. By that I mean with the flaperons in the down position I can hit right aileron & my left side will stay down as my right side comes back up to neutral. They wont go one side up & the other side down like normal aileron function, just one side down & the other side back up to neutral, but this will give you enough aileron control during a landing approach to level out your wings if need be.

I hope I'm getting this all right for you because I just kind of stumbled thru it the other day with one of my new planes. I should have set it up per the step by step instructions in my manual but I thought I could feel my way thru it. Apparently I got it right because a friend & club Instructor checked it out & told me I have it all working correctly.

If you don't still have your JR6102 book let me know & I will scan & email that section to you.

I have no more than maybe 3/8 to a 1/2 inch of flap set in it right now. Charlie tells me it will be plenty & maybe even more than I need. The plan is to do a high altitude slow landing approach & hit the flaps to see what they will do with plenty of air under my plane in case it is too much. Then I will adjust them accordingly. I will have a flight report on them for you tomorrow. I have a few little things to finish today & will maiden the plane early tomorrow morning & let you know how it goes. I should be able to give you a proper throw measurement then too. Please let me know if you need me to scan that part of the manual for you. Good luck!!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 AM
cjposada

Thanks for all that info! Yes I do have the manual but thanks for your offering and the advise you are giving me is excellent and precise, I will sure try that. It is not that the plane is difficult to land but I want to get familiar with flap use. I will sure be expecting for your flight report and good luck tomorrow. BTW what kind of plane is it?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

http://www.hotbodiesonline.net/dragon.html

This a link to the plane. It is called a Dragon 40 & is no longer available. Some friends of mine found 4 of them sitting at RC Country in Sacramento, Ca so they bought all 4 of them. Then they let me Wife buy one of them for me on Father's Day. As you can see it doesn't needs flaps either, I just wanted to set it up with them to see how they work & get some practice in for future Warbirds to come.[sm=idea.gif] None of my buddies bothered to set up flaperons on theirs but like I said I am just sort of experimenting with it. They seem to be fantastic fliers & land very nicely. Friday I was watching one friend doing some high speed touch & goes with it that were very impresive & smooth. Some of the best landing work I've seen from him yet. So I decided to try the flaperons on mine & try some of those high speed touch & goes myself for good Warbird practice.

I will definitely let you know how things pan out tomorrow. Feel free to pm me anytime with any questions you might have. Between the 2 of us maybe we can get these JR6102s figured out prety well.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:22 PM
cjposada

Since I bought this plane from a friend I did not know how the servo connections were made. I discovered that the servo wiring was cut and joined in a y. seams to be soundly done but will represent more work and hardware than I had planned. I will do the flaperon system on my next project which will be arriving by mid August. It is the U Can Do .46 ARF.

Will be posting again when this happens.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:54 AM
scolpit

I only use flaperons on windy days, to stop my plane in the air