Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

my first kit

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

my first kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 05:07 PM
jerusha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first kit

i am planning on bulilding a nitro powered airplane and a wondering what kit i should build. i am not very good at flying. i would also like to know what all i would need to finish it i.e.(servos, motor, radio) i think that gas planes use batteries to run the servos but i am not shure. all my previous builds and airplanes have been electric. i am short on cash so anything that is sugested should not be too expensive.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Machinegun21

Default RE: my first kit

Well it depends on what your looking to build and how much time you have. a true kit will take you anywhere from 1-2 months to build and you will need an engine, all radio gear, and some building tools. an ARF or almost ready to fly plane will take you anywhere from 20-35 hours to complete and you need engine, radio gear, and building tools. an RTF or ready to fly plane will take you 20 minutes and you will not need as many tools. gas planes run off of fuel and the fuel runs the engine only. all the radio gear runs off a battery.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Hi Jerusha:

From experience, I can tell you a kit is much more expensive in the long run than to just purchase a good
ARF.

I choose to build because I get great satisfaction out of it. But as Machinegun said: it is time consuming and purchasing everything you need item by item is costly. I am currently building a plane with 53" wingspan. Will have about $600.00 to $700.00 in it when I'm through. Could purchase a similar ARF for about $400.00, including motor and servos. It's expensive to build.

I really appreciate seeing the desire to build in someone who is rather new to the sport. It's encouraging. You can find
many complete "Ready to Fly" planes on E-bay, this forum RC Universe or RCGroups. You could probably purchase
a plane to your liking in really good shape for about 1/3 the cost of a new one.

One other suggestion: Check with your local clubs, you might find a member that is ready to move up and
could purchase one that way. Could probably get to test fly it before you purchase.

Jerusha, it's no crime to be short on cash. Most of us in this hobby find ourselves that way from time to
time, so look for those bargains. They are out there, for sure.

Might find a fixer upper (needing a cover job, minor repairs, etc. for nearly nothing, if you are patient. That way you
get some "building experience" in the bargain.

Good Luck.

In God We Trust
Old 07-28-2006, 12:57 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

I agree. While I Know there is great satisfaction to be had by building from kit or scratch, sometimes it just isn't the prudent thing do. I think this may be one of those times. As the guys said, buying each item at a time can get very costly & you pretty much already stated that you don't even know what all those items are yet. No shame in that at all but not knowing what to buy on a budget & buying a bunch of wrong stuff is even costlier yet!! I think if you could manage to come up with an ARF, an engine & a flight pack you might want to think about getting some ARFs under your belt first. Then a little later down the road when you're ready to try a kit you will be in a much better position I believe. There is still a lot of work left to be done to assemble an ARF well, & done right you will have a very nice bird on your hands. You will have a much better understanding of what goes in to the building of a glow-powered plane. Then when you do your kit build you'll know what kind of hardware packs you like or dislike. Which control horn & clevis, little stuff like that you still need to buy with some kits while most ARFs come as a complete airframe including landing gear, fuel tank, push-rods & hardware pack, a spinner & a pilot named crash! I just think you could still learn a lot of good stuff starting out with ARFs & working your way up to kits. I know that I have learned a lot of info about building in here & in hands on, just doing ARFs. Good luck in what ever you decide.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

I agree. While I Know there is great satisfaction to be had by building from kit or scratch, sometimes it just isn't the prudent thing do. I think this may be one of those times. As the guys said, buying each item at a time can get very costly & you pretty much already stated that you don't even know what all those items are yet. No shame in that at all but not knowing what to buy on a budget & buying a bunch of wrong stuff is even costlier yet!! I think if you could manage to come up with an ARF, an engine & a flight pack you might want to think about getting some ARFs under your belt first. Then a little later down the road when you're ready to try a kit you will be in a much better position I believe. There is still a lot of work left to be done to assemble an ARF well, & done right you will have a very nice bird on your hands. You will have a much better understanding of what goes in to the building of a glow-powered plane. Then when you do your kit build you'll know what kind of hardware packs you like or dislike. Which control horn & clevis, little stuff like that you still need to buy with some kits while most ARFs come as a complete airframe including landing gear, fuel tank, push-rods & hardware pack, a spinner & a pilot named crash! I just think you could still learn a lot of good stuff starting out with ARFs & working your way up to kits. I know that I have learned a lot of info about building in here & in hands on, just doing ARFs. Good luck in what ever you decide.
I find it a little disconcerning that so many people push ARF's instead of building. Before I continue with my rant, let me say that I do buy and fly ARF's for various reasons.
Building to me is 50% or more of this hobby. - remember I said to me... I understand that not all people want to or have the time to build a kit. Yes, it CAN also be a bit more expensive. - Usually not as much as you think. This guy aparently WANTS to build a kit and was asking which kit he should build and what is needed.
I strongly disagree that someone should start out with an ARF. There is so much to be learned from contructing an airframe, covering, ect. that will be missed by assembling an ARF.

My recommendation is to build a Sig Kadet, Goldberg Eagle 2, or Great Planes PT 40.
You'll need a flat building board like a ceiling tile (something that you can push pins into).
Glue- 30 min Epoxy, Med and Thin CA
Box of 100 #11 Exacto blades
Razor saw
Various grits of sandpaper
Drill bits and other various hand tools.

All of these items most likely would be needed to assemble an ARF anyway, so there really isn't any additional cost there.

The additional cost would be in the covering material, fuel tank, wheels and maybe some hardware. In the end, the builder now has a plane that he or she has something unique and they can be proud to bring to the field.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:30 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

All the good names, Nothing wrong with kit building at all. I plan to try my hand as well. I hope it didn't sound like I was trying to steer him away from that all together. I just meant that when I hear a statement like, "I think gas planes use batteries to run the servos, but I am not sure", then yes I think you may find yourdelf in over your head & feeling overwelmed in a hurry that's all. When that is the case, an ARF can at least teach you what all belongs on an airplane.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
jerusha

thanks for your guys help, this is my 3rd plane and i want to build a kit so i think i might go with the sig kadet. it sounds like a good plane but ill have to save my money