Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sun Kissed Girl Ain't Coming Back

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sun Kissed Girl Ain't Coming Back

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:49 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun Kissed Girl Ain't Coming Back

Yeah, its sad to say, but she got into surfing and boogie boarding . She only had about 5 flights to go till she soloes, but she wants a surfboard that she saw for around $400. She gave me her second airplane, her Hangar 9 Twist, that she never flew and come to think about, it only has one flight on it. She has been into RC cars for about 2 years, and RC airplanes for about 10 months. She currently has a skim board and a boogie board, and once her R/C stuff sells, she is going to get a longboard and roof rack for her 'Stang. Good luck on your surfing!

I was going to get a crystal for the reciever in the Twist so I can use it with my 7CAP, but now that I think of it, I think I'll keep the Futaba 6YG because if I swap it out, then it will just sit there collecting dust for eternity. Plus, I'd like to keep it just how we built it for memory's sake.

The funny thing is, the only reason she can understand what the surfboards are made out of and how they are constructed was because of RC! She showed me a description of a board and it read something like "...foam rubber and fiberglass construction...constructed using high strength epoxy..."
Old 07-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Machinegun21

Default RE: Sun Kissed Girl Ain't Comming Back

Well that sucks but who knows, she might get back into it later on
Old 07-29-2006, 02:07 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

surfing and RC are not mutually exclusive been doing both for a long time I have been surfing 32 years about the same time as I started building plastic and balsa wood models traveling for surfing has been a awesome part of my life literally been arround the world . I also took a 20 year lay off from modeling thankfully I rediscovered it a few years ago, my point being after becoming involved in such a cool hobby as this ,you often come back to it after a break I shouldn't have waited so long . BTW after checking the surf this morning I am going down to the shop and work on my planes . she might just find out it aint as easy as it looks surfing that is I surf in San Francisco, and surfing in paso robles is pretty tough, after the heat wave you can count on the cold , fog , and plenty strong waves good luck SKG.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:13 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Hey I brake, Remind that sister of your's that women invented & were born to multi-task!! I see no reason in the world why the fact that she is getting into surfing should have any kind of negative effect on her flying. Go for it, do it all!! Back when I was what I presume to be around you & your sister's age group, I was into everything all at the same time. Motorcycle racing, Drag racing, Skiing water/snow, surfing, knee machines, long boards, & boogie boards, as well as skate boards & skims board too. Rc Cars & Trucks & control line airplanes. And when we still had some time left over we did lots of hunting & fishing & rock climbing & repelling, oh yea, tried to play cowboy in the middle of all that too, OUCH![&:] (wasn't exactly my forte').

Point is that just because she is starting to spend a lot of time enjoying something else right now is no reason to just up & quit something else all together. If she does just stop completely & say ok that's it, never again! She's going to regret it. You say she is only maybe 5 flights away from solo. Do her a favor & make sure those 5 flights happen. She can still go surfing all she wants too, but make those 5 flights happen!! If she doesn't solo after all this & being so close, she'll never forgive herself.

See if ya can't talk her into just a few more flights, she will feel so much better about herself if she gets her wings first. Then how often she chooses to use them will be entirely up to her. Paso Robles isn't really all that far away & I have some recovery time on my hands right now. So if there is anything I can do to help let me know. Maybe I can jump in the truck & try to help ya get her soloed. Just give us a holler. The Tower Trainer is up & ready to fly complete with buddy-box & chord. We can use that if she likes or the NexStar could be up & running in short time using some parts from her broken one. I used some stuff from mine on my WM Ultimate. But the Tower is fuel & fly ready. Just give me a holler & let me know. I'd really hate to see her throw in the towel after all this, & being so close. If she can fly pretty well in the air, we can get her landing in no time, I'm sure of it, or at least I'm willing to gamble my plane to try it. So Let's get er done.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:35 AM
IBrakeForNobody

Grumpy-

Don't think I can persuade her into flying more. She doesn't even want to get up early (8:00 AM) to go to the field when her instructor is there. She is giving up RC for surfing because, well, she's a college student and you know how college students have almost no extra money? Well, she has to sell her RC stuff in order to buy a longboard. [&o]
Old 07-30-2006, 01:18 AM
suicidemachine

Put that TX in a gallon size ziploc, then she can surf and fly[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 07-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: suicidemachine

Put that TX in a gallon size ziploc, then she can surf and fly[sm=drowning.gif]

Or she can play with her RC car while surfing and it would be surf and turf... I could'nt resist
Old 07-30-2006, 06:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: IBrakeForNobody

Grumpy-

.... She doesn't even want to get up early (8:00 AM) .....
8 AM is early????? Heck, by 8 I'm already at the field with at least 2 flights under my belt!!!!

Ken
Old 07-30-2006, 07:09 AM
elenasgrumpy

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Grumpy-

8 AM is early????? Heck, by 8 I'm already at the field with at least 2 flights under my belt!!!!

Ken

I heard that!! My Daughter & son inlaw both want to try to fly, but same problem. "you go too early" Lol I go from between 5 & 6 am when I have a planned flying day. By 8am I'm taking my first break.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Fastsky

Default RE: Sun Kissed Girl Ain't Coming Back

Wish I could!! But can't because the one and only neighbor which is a trailer that decided to move to next to the sod farm that they are operating. To try and keep the miserable woman happy, we restrict our flying time so that we don't start flying untilk 9 am weekdays and 10 am in Sunday!! They knew we were there for years before they moved their trailer out there but then they move in and complain if they even "think" that we are flying maybe over their side of their property line!!! It seems that every 2 years or so, we have to send someone with a radio and have different planes standing by and prove to them that just because they can "see the planes at an angle" doesn't mean that the planes are over over their head! We also had them try to listen for the planes and proved that they are actually so far away that they can't even hear them so whats their problem!?! Talk about a pain in the a_ _ ignorant neighbor! The field is leased from a near by town that owns the land so we do have to try and keep her from Sabre rattling at the town council meetings. The town is happy to have us there and the outside edge of our field is leased by a rancher that brings in his cattle for the summer. After the cattle are there for a day we don't bother them and they don't bother us!! We just have to keep the gate closed or they want to come in a little too close to watch the planes! [X(]
Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 PM
IBrakeForNobody

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Grumpy-

Ken
I would go earlier too, but we are allowed to fly between 9 AM and sunset. 9 AM because we have houses nearby, and sunset because we are within 3 miles of an active airport.

Or she can play with her RC car while surfing and it would be surf and turf... I could'nt resist
Now there's an idea!!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:22 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's just looking for a surfer dude, dude. (Do they say that anymore?)
Old 08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
bigtim

Dude ,we say it all the time bro
Old 08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
elenasgrumpy

Dude! My wife calls me Dude!!LOL
Old 08-01-2006, 08:23 PM
YNOT

My new all custom Taylor 9-4 should be done this week. My daugther took the 7-10 Bingo from me.

No need to choose one over the other, do both.

Edit note. Why was she 5-6 flights from solo???? That is why she is out, took to dam long to get flying. She was running r/c cars before airplanes????? I had a whole group of folks who raced cars that were solo in 3-4 flights. Shame.

Next time I'm in Cali, I will have to look her up and get her solo in an hour.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11000.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	500365  
Old 08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
bigtim

here's my spitfire and its firing variety works and we havnt heard from the girl herself where are you?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33670.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	500817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76605.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	500818  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:26 AM
IBrakeForNobody

Well, I got breaking news...for now, she is staying in RC airplanes. She told me two days ago that she is determined to solo before anything, and she got up around 6AM to get ready to go fly, and she is working on landings right now. They are flying the pattern (downwind, base, and final) at about 300 feet, and they are progressivley getting lower. Today, she even got about 25 feet above the runway on final till her instructor took over to touch down. I have a feeling that she'll solo in the next two weeks. The only things she has to work on is getting her approach right and ground control after touchdown (the ailerons don't do anything to steer the plane on the ground ). I showed her this thread, and she didn't want to post because she felt bad after reading what you all posted, which is what motivated her to get her wings!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:43 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not like we were trying to "shame" her into doing this, Unless that will work . Even if she decides to not stay with the hobby, she should at least give it a serious attempt, solo and then decide. At least then she can put that on her list of accomplishments.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 AM
elenasgrumpy

I'm glad to hear that she has decided to stick it out. I think she will be much happier with her decision. There is a great feeling of accomplishment that comes with sticking it out & learning to solo, as most of us well know. Now she will know it too.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 AM
tychoc

That's great news! Sounds like the solo is just around the corner.

Wish her the best

-tychoc