Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to keep stuff from sliding around in Truck bed??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to keep stuff from sliding around in Truck bed??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 PM
stashu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep stuff from sliding around in Truck bed??

Just picked up a Truck to support my habit I have a bedliner and Tonneau cover on it. What do you guys use to keep your Airplanes, Wings, etc from sliding around in the bed/liner??----thanks in advance for any tips!!

Thanks!! Stashu
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to keep stuff from sliding around in Truck bed??

check the pvc plane holder thread on this page
Old 08-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PVC pipe is mostly used and you can use that foam pipe covering over it to give planes something to rest on. Theres a thosand combinations. I also have a small I use as a plane holder when assembling it at the field. Sort of looks like to X's connected together.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dinged the rear corner of my LT-40's elevator when I transported my newly finished model to a club meeting for a show 'n tell. First stop I made it rolled and "crashed" into the front wall of my pickup bed, putting a significant crunch into the elevator corner.

I picked up one of those kids' 3.5' x 7' foam-backed play rugs from a home improvement store during an after holiday clearance sale. The rug had a design of a town with buildings and roads and is designed to let the kids push their toy cars around the "town". I wasn't so much interested in the design as the fact the foam backing acted as a non-skid surface to keep the rug in place.

Then I bought a set of SonicTronics plastic chocks which clip over the axles. They have small teeth on the bottom which grip the rug.

I haul my model everywhere now with no sliding, rolling or crunching.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Hareman
My Feedback: (1)

For a while, I used my "cargo bar" and fastened the landing gear to it with a light bungee cord. If you watch Harbor Freight you can get a cargo bar on sale for around $10, plus shipping.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Mr. Canadian

I simply put a blanket down on the the bed and place the wing and fuselage on the blanket and then use another blanket on top to sort of anchor it down and provide some form of cushion in case of any incidences. I then simply tie down my flight box to the side of the bed to prevent it from sliding around. I find this works great and is relatively fast to load and unload.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:50 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Since I have out-grown my Trainer rack that I built out of PVC, I now use some wooden blocks in the front of the bed to prevent the models from touching the front of the cab. Then I use rather large bungies to go thru the landing gear of 3 or 4 fuses & back to each of the front corner bed hooks. This holds the fuses in place nicely. I set my field box at the back corner of the bed & it stays put pretty well. It may move a very little bit but never enought to be a bother. Then I put all the wings in the back seat with the Little Ultimate 40 riding on top of those The radio case goes in the front passenger seat & we are ready to go flying!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Dr1Driver

PVC holders, blankets, foam all work well. I use wheel chocks with sandpaper on the bottom to hold my fuselages in my carpeted mini-van. You could glue magnets on them for a steel-bed truck. I hang wings flat with bungees stretched across the rear cargo area.

Dr.1
Old 08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
rlipsett

I used a 4x8 sheet of plywood with some pvc pressed into holes in 2x4 that were attached to the plywood. The pressure fitted pvc allows me to change the configurations for moving different sized planes with and without removable wings. I placed two sturdy handles near the tailgate so I can move the plywood in and out of the bed of the truck and access the planes without removing the tonneau cover. I also have placed eyebolts in strategic locations on the plywood so that I can use small homemade bungees to tie my plane off with. The bungees have a loop tied in one end and a hook on the other end. To fasten them to the eyebolt I slip some bungee back through the loop in the bungee and loop it over the eyebolt and pull the bungee tight then I can hook the other end into another eyelet which makes things fast to change. My flight box gets bungeed between the two handles I use for moving the plywood in and out of my truck. I have also drilled 2 holes near the handles so that I can set up a cradle to hold my planes inverted while attaching wings It holds 2 planes comfortably but it has been known to hold 3 with some creative tetris figureing
Old 08-04-2006, 02:19 PM
scratchonly

I haul my planes in one piece if they fit. I make blocks of 2" blue insulation foam about 6x8 inches, I carve and gouge curves in them to match the wheel shape about 1" deep. watch your sudden stops and starts.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
scratchonly

One more thing, set your planes at an angle. The tail wheel will add a little drag.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:38 PM
TCrafty

my wife had a set of wrist wieghts. They are basically bean bags shaped like a doughnut. I just put the wheels down in the center of the doughnut and they don't slide at all. Had some pretty bad brake tests and they've always been right where I put them. I also have carpeting down in the bed of my truck. The doughnuts work with wheel pants or anything I've seen so far.

hope it helps.

andy