Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

gas or electric

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

gas or electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 AM
rcplaneflyer
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas or electric

i think electric is the way to go with because the engine wont shut off and they are great trainers
Old 08-08-2006, 06:34 AM
B.L.E.

Default RE: gas or electric

As long as you stay under the size that can be powered by a 2100mAh 3-s lipo. Go to bigger sizes and your bank account will struggle to gain altitude.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
johndou

I must admit I’m a bit confused with this Glow verses Electric. I’ve had a number of people tell me that Electric is the way to the future. I was leaning heavily towards electric until I started looking closer at the cost. When it costs me 3 times the money to electrically power a 40 size trainer that I get to fly for only 8 to 10 minutes before I have to deal with a dead stick I just can’t see it.

$300 + for batteries, a speed controller and a motor just to get a quiet plane that I don’t have to clean seems a bit of overkill. Especially given the fact that for about $100 I can get more power, performance and flying time.

I guess for some people who don’t have access to an AMA flying site or an open area away form people it might be an advantage. But, in a number of cities and counties it’s even illegal to operate an R/C airplane unless you’re at an approved flying site. At least it is in several areas around California. As much as I’d like to, for me to pick-up a little park-flyer and run out to the local open field park is asking for a citation. Under those conditions, electric has no future that I can see.

I figure I must be missing something. What does electric have over glow that makes someone want to spend 3 times as much money for it?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Montague

"It Depends".

Money is an issue. Where you are flying is an issue. What you want to fly later on is an issue. Personal preference is an issue. Really, personal preference is the biggest issue.

I don't think electric, glow, or even gas is better or worse, they are just different, and each has advantages and disadvantages.

Right now, for performance-per-dollar, you can't beat a .60 size glow trainer like the Alpha 60 or Hobbistar 60. They are big, easy to see, rock-stable, can fly very slowly, but can fly in some pretty high winds as well. Getting the same performance from an electric is possible, but very expensive. Especially if you consider the batteries required to allow you to get as many flights in as quickly as you can with glow. Refueling takes a lot longer for electrics otherwise.

Electrics are probably best for most folks who are determined to learn on their own. They are also a good solution for people who live in small apartments or just don't have space to store a larger plane and support equipment.

And, of course, some people just prefer not to deal with the "mess" of exhaust residue or the hassle of keeping lipos charged and balanced with out burning down the house.

YMMV, it's a personal preference thing, really. So I think blanket "this is better" statements here aren't a good idea.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Missileman

I have to agree with the majority here. One is not better than the other.
Especially when starting out new in the hobby startup cost are fairly high for either one. We did a comparrison some time ago and, if my memory is not too bad, long term per flight cost are nearly the same for either one.
This is assuming you are talking about RC airplanes and not some $50 ready to fly package from Kmart. which is an RC toy.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rcplaneflyer

i think electric is the way to go with because the engine wont shut off and they are great trainers

yes they do... and the power source has nothing to do with the flight characteristics
Old 08-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve had a number of people tell me that Electric is the way to the future.
Not if electric batteries cost a fortune and last just months. Till then glow is the way to go. Plus you don't have to stand around waithing for the battery to charge. The electric guys can be pests when their batteries are charging.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, the troll won.

Dave Olson
Old 08-08-2006, 03:59 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

has anyone done a comparison of the cost to rebuild or replace electric motors over glo engines?I'm curious as to how long an electric motor lasts.i know how many hours i can get out of my glo engines.i have some glo engines that are 40 years old and are still going strong.i must agree with Montaque it is a matter of preference and circumstances.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Machinegun21

personally i would do gas because for the most part they are pretty good.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Tommyr

I'm fairly new to this but I started and will stay with electric for several reasons. One they are quieter. Once in the air you don't even know they are there unless you look up and see them. Less of a "problem" with the public. Second, safer IMHO than airplane fuel, less mess. Less to carry/lug around.

I'm not saying electric is better per se, it's what *I* prefer.

As usual your mileage may vary!

Tom
Old 08-08-2006, 06:35 PM
B.L.E.

ORIGINAL: horace315

has anyone done a comparison of the cost to rebuild or replace electric motors over glo engines?I'm curious as to how long an electric motor lasts.i know how many hours i can get out of my glo engines.i have some glo engines that are 40 years old and are still going strong.i must agree with Montaque it is a matter of preference and circumstances.
On brushless motors, the only thing that wears out is the shaft bearings. Wire doesn't wear out, niether do magnets if they are not overheated. You can fry an electric motor in one flight if you don't take the amp limitations seriously. However, if you don't abuse them, they last almost forever. To get an idea of how long an electric motor can last, how old is your refrigerator? How many hours has you computer's fan run so far? Engines have a rpm redline, electric motors have a ampere redline. Stay out of the abuse zone and your motor will only have to be scrapped because it became obsolete.

In my opinion, a amp/watt meter is not optional if you fly electric. I know that a lot of people don't own one, these are the people that give electrics a bad name. Frying a lipo, esc, or a motor is an expensive way to find out that your propeller is too big. When I try a different prop, I hook up my amp meter and see if the amps are within the motor's design limits.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:34 PM
tIANci

I love my glo engines but of late I have moved into electrics. I have started with 90 sized electric planes now and I will say that glo is still cheaper. EP is very affordable if it is around the 400 sized motor. When you get to perhaps something bigger like an AXI 2820 it is still ok. Basically, like what BLE said, as long as you keep it around a 3S pack of 2,100 mAh it does not hurt the wallet.

I am running 6S now with 3,700 mAh packs and you do feel the pinch quite a bit. Is EP better than glow? Well ... are apples better than oranges? What is nice with EP is:

crisp throttle response
linear throttle
cleaner plane
less vibration

I still say both are as fun.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:38 PM
beachyboy429

ok i still cant make a decision. i live in dallas texas, where the wind is 9 mph on a calm day. i have an aerobird challenger trainer that will not fly in this wind. i've talked to a fellow rc flyer and he says in texas, size, weight and motor power make ALL the difference. he suggests a Hanger 9 Twist. its an ARF for 100 bucks. and its a great plane, and takes wind no problem. im stuck between the Twist that i can get a .48 glow engine for and the parkzone P-51D RTF electric with a 480 motor and gear reduction. the electric is 180 and the ARF will be much more. i have a field very close to my house, maybe 250 yards by 300 yards give or take a few. which is best? i want a plane that can take the wind easily and be somewhat easy to fly
Old 08-09-2006, 02:43 AM
tIANci

beachboy - the Twist with a glow motor will be happier in the wind compared with a 480 sized EP plane but then do not expect the Twist to be rock steady as it is still a fun fly plane with larger surfaces and wind does affect it. 300 yards by 300 yards is not all that big a space, perhap the EP is a better way to go. The P51 would be nice for a space of that size.

Another EP plane you can look into is the HOTPOINT, its a great EP plane with a simple brushless set up. Flies very well and is not that difficult to handle, will also do 3D if you like.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:20 PM
beachyboy429

awesome. thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: B.L.E.

ORIGINAL: horace315

On brushless motors, the only thing that wears out is the shaft bearings. Wire doesn't wear out, niether do magnets if they are not overheated. You can fry an electric motor in one flight if you don't take the amp limitations seriously. However, if you don't abuse them, they last almost forever. To get an idea of how long an electric motor can last, how old is your refrigerator? How many hours has you computer's fan run so far? Engines have a rpm redline, electric motors have a ampere redline. Stay out of the abuse zone and your motor will only have to be scrapped because it became obsolete.

In my opinion, a amp/watt meter is not optional if you fly electric. I know that a lot of people don't own one, these are the people that give electrics a bad name. Frying a lipo, esc, or a motor is an expensive way to find out that your propeller is too big. When I try a different prop, I hook up my amp meter and see if the amps are within the motor's design limits.
Of course this ignores the elephant in the living room. The batteries. This is the reason electrics are so expensive, both first cost, and the frequent replacement.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 PM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

Not if electric batteries cost a fortune and last just months. Till then glow is the way to go. Plus you don't have to stand around waithing for the battery to charge. The electric guys can be pests when their batteries are charging

How are the electric guys pests?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:27 PM
beachyboy429

in texas, theres 20 minuites of calm then 20 minuites of gusting wind. i cant charge batteries in time to catch the calmer winds. with glow, its just GO
Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 PM
chevy43

I like electric for the small end.

I really laugh at those Hobby-Lobby ads for coverting bigger glow engienes. They act like spending $500 to replace a $90 glow engine is some great deal you need to jump on
Old 08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Johnc1go-RCU

Not if electric batteries cost a fortune and last just months. Till then glow is the way to go. Plus you don't have to stand around waithing for the battery to charge. The electric guys can be pests when their batteries are charging

How are the electric guys pests?

Thier boredom causes them to be chatty.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
mouthpiec

a glow engine can be listened and smelled! [8D]
Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 PM
skiman762

I have 6 glow planes and 2 electrics
Glow is still my favorite by far but I like my little electrics for sneaking off after dinner there's some fields 3 mins form the house I can run off 3 batts in about 45 mins and be back home it's fun but I don't see me doing a big plane any time soon when I could rig 2 or 3 glows for the same money.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:08 AM
SLFlt
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with skiman. I have multiple electrics and glow. My AMA club site is 40 minutes away. Driving to the site, flying for a good chunk of time, and coming home can eat up a lot of time away from the family. I have a Dark Horse Models E300 with a brushless and a 3C Li-Po that I can run off behind my house and fly and be back before too long. This keeps me "on the sticks" everyday I'm home and keeps me "frosty" for the days I can go to the field. The neighbors barely know I am flying because electric is so quiet. An electric is a nice option to keep in your garage. Cheers....

-SLFlt
Old 08-16-2006, 03:53 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

FLY EVERYTHING!!!

Don't be bothered by the whole debate. Each has it's advantages. I have (flyable) 3 Glow 2 Electric and 2 Gas with more of all three on the way. Fly everything and fly often. An electric 3-D foamie will keep you moving the sticks and really teach you to hover and use rudder with a low-risk airframe, while a 33% gasser will keep you humble and force you to concentrate while learning to fly new maneuvers with precision. FLY EVERYTHING!!

Have Fun!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.