Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

SIG planes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

SIG planes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 PM
crashontakeoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SIG planes

SIG planes rock! My 1/5 scale cub went 60 miles an hour out of the back of my truck, and it only broke the wing in half and some sliht damage to the tail. Does that count as a maiden?

Crash
Old 08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
wing_man

Im not sure[sm=surprised.gif] take it up with your club
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

Amen to that! I got zapped at work by our electric fence ......
I grew up in the country and I learned a lesson along those lines. Be very careful if you take a leak on a fence line, you never know when there's an electric fence down under the brush!!!!! [:@] Use your imagination, and no it's not fun!!!!!!!!!

Ken
I had to chase down my son's kite and stepped over what I thought was a dead electric fence. I won't tell you were it hit me but I won't try that again. [sm=eek.gif]
Old 08-10-2006, 01:52 PM
tychoc

ORIGINAL: jeff1127

I have to be dating myself . I built lots of Heathkits. On my bench at work right now I have a Heathkit bench power supply that me and the rest of the guys use.
I must have built every one of the test kits they ever sold.
I had forgotten about the Heathkits. I don't really feel very old yet, but as an Electrical Engineer student and a Ham operator I built several of their kits in the early to mid 80's. Brings back good memories thinking about them.

Oh, yes, and one of my favorite planes that I built is the Sig SE.

-tychoc
Old 08-10-2006, 05:11 PM
wing_man

nice recovery to get back to the thread but hey...its my fault we started talkin bout them...i think
Old 08-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: wing_man

nice recovery to get back to the thread but hey...its my fault we started talkin bout them...i think
Sometimes threads seem to just meander all over the place. Kind of like we are all just socializing and topics change as time goes on. But hey that is cool too.
BTW - I built a Heathkit CB base radio and I tinkled on an electric fence (I was young and didn't know it was electric but found out real quick)
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM
wing_man

your rite threads to do change look at the "who are you" thread
Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
rcair08
My Feedback: (2)

I just purchased a Kadet Senior stick kit. I want to build it with ailerons. Sig does not have plans available for this mod. Do any of you have experience building the ailerons into the wing? I would like to find a tried and true plan to make this change. This will be my first kit build, and a nice winter time project.
I am learning to fly RC on a Hobbico Nexstar .46, and this seemed like a good kit to build based on my experience level.

Thanks for any help you can give.

rcair08
Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all but one airplane manufacturer dried up and blew away and we just had one left... I would be hoping it would be Sig. I have had many Sig planes and still do. In no particular order:
1) Rascal 110 with OS 1.60
2) Something Extra still new in box kit but had the ARF and loved it
3) Kadet Sr. New in Box Kit
3) LT-40 with Evolution .46
4) P-51b ARF new in Box
5) Hog Bipe kit new in box
6) Astro Hog kit new in box
7) 4 Star 120 kit is my current project and will have the Evolution 26cc gasser, modified control surfaces andclipped wings
8) Herr Cloud ranger
9) Herr Little Something Extra
Old 09-11-2009, 04:55 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must like Sig too. They are all great flyers. I wish they made their latest ARFs as kits, especially the Rascal 110.
1. Somethin Extra
2. LT40 (2)
3. Hog Bipe
4. Mini Smith Biplane
5. Rascal 40 (2)
6. Four Star 60
7. Four Star 40
John
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM
GaryHarris

Most of my planes are Sig! Lt-40 arf, 4*60 which I currently fly, I have an SSE on the bench which I will soon yank when my 4*40 kit shows up.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:27 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

here is my sig lt 40 in construction, thanks to ken for his great thread in building one. Will post build complete pictures when done and not long afterthat prob will postcrash/rebuild pictures .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45187.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1276482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35766.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1276483  
Old 09-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

LOL, Don't I feel stupid! It's a SSE & I was thinking it was a 4*[&:] Oh well it's still a beauty!!
No problem at all. What's really funny is that of all the planes I have flown over the years I have never flown a 4-star. I recommend it to new pilots all the time, but I've never been at the sticks of one myself!!!

Ken
Well have no fear recomending the plane. In stock form they are slow rollers and a very stable platform. Excellent choice for engine test beds as they fly almost as well without power as they do with The attached photo is of my Four Star 120 I started while deployed to Afgahnistan. It will be covered in a similar manner as your SSE and enjoy a few modification

Name:	Wu61627.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1276552  
Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
GaryHarris

Question. How does Sig ship a kit? UPS or ? I ordered a 4*40 last Friday and haven't heard a word from them. I checked in and it shows my order was filled but I haven't received any tracking numbers or shipping notifications.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Question. How does Sig ship a kit? UPS or ? I ordered a 4*40 last Friday and haven't heard a word from them. I checked in and it shows my order was filled but I haven't received any tracking numbers or shipping notifications.

Thanks.
Last Friday? Thats only 3 business days ago. I understand the impatients but you will likely have to give them at least 7-10 days.

I ordered some parts from Sig and recieved them via USPS but I always got the kits through Tower Hobbies to take advantage of their discounts. Now it seems Sig and Tower have divorced and are going their seperate ways.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcair08

I just purchased a Kadet Senior stick kit. I want to build it with ailerons. Sig does not have plans available for this mod. Do any of you have experience building the ailerons into the wing?

RCair I know of no plans for doing such but have done ailerons on four kit version Seniors and one Seniorita. Have done one with strip ailerons and the rest with barn door ailerons a bit more work but worth it. The strips are difficult because of the narrow trailing edge piece and the only effective way is to let it overhang the original trailing edge in chord.

Barndoors involve cutting the last five bays and installing a new wing trailing edge in the cutout and a new aileron leading edge in the cutout. I prefer a surface mount servo for each aileron. The surface mount is much less work and perhaps more importantly very easy to make at the field with out the need to remove servo plates to make adjustments.

Here the clear covering on my Quad Kaydet shows an idea on aileron size and the cutout.

There is one very important thing that a lot of the fellows fail to do when performing this mod and that is adding ailerons without reduceing dihedral. Adding either type aileron to a kit senior with stock dihedral will result in very poor roll response from the ailerons, in fact the rudder will still be more responsive. To get a reasonable response from the ailerons it will be neccessary to reduce the dihedral to about one half of the stock dihedral and this will do the trick.

John

Name:	Pm34711.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1276897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50124.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1276898  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:28 AM
psb667

Sigs cheaper direct anyway.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM
flynnaire
My Feedback: (24)

Ok john you have to show some more pictures........

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: rcair08

I just purchased a Kadet Senior stick kit. I want to build it with ailerons. Sig does not have plans available for this mod. Do any of you have experience building the ailerons into the wing?

RCair I know of no plans for doing such but have done ailerons on four kit version Seniors and one Seniorita. Have done one with strip ailerons and the rest with barn door ailerons a bit more work but worth it. The strips are difficult because of the narrow trailing edge piece and the only effective way is to let it overhang the original trailing edge in chord.

Barndoors involve cutting the last five bays and installing a new wing trailing edge in the cutout and a new aileron leading edge in the cutout. I prefer a surface mount servo for each aileron. The surface mount is much less work and perhaps more importantly very easy to make at the field with out the need to remove servo plates to make adjustments.

Here the clear covering on my Quad Kaydet shows an idea on aileron size and the cutout.

There is one very important thing that a lot of the fellows fail to do when performing this mod and that is adding ailerons without reduceing dihedral. Adding either type aileron to a kit senior with stock dihedral will result in very poor roll response from the ailerons, in fact the rudder will still be more responsive. To get a reasonable response from the ailerons it will be neccessary to reduce the dihedral to about one half of the stock dihedral and this will do the trick.

John
Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM
charlie1960

Sig 4star 40. because i loved the color.
then clipped two bays off each wing.....still a floater but man will it roll now. Faster quicker, more manuverable
and its just got a Evo 45 on it
should have rounded the tail feathers too...but didnt think about it at the time
i'll get a photo soon
you cant go wrong with that plane in any size.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Thanks.
Last Friday? Thats only 3 business days ago. I understand the impatients but you will likely have to give them at least 7-10 days.

I ordered some parts from Sig and recieved them via USPS but I always got the kits through Tower Hobbies to take advantage of their discounts. Now it seems Sig and Tower have divorced and are going their seperate ways.
It just showed up. Normally when I order from Tower on Friday, it shows up the next Thursday. Sig is just as fast, and the shipping is cheaper. Way to go SIG!

Now if yall will excuse me, I have a box to open!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM
GaryHarris

Sniff sniff, awwwww! I love the smell of a new kit after work! [X(]

Well the sticks are straight as an arrow and the laser cuts are excellent. Typical of Sig's quality.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: flynnaire
Ok john you have to show some more pictures........
[quote]

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...2&hl=en&emb=0#
Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Insanemoondoggie

No problem at all. What's really funny is that of all the planes I have flown over the years I have never flown a 4-star. I recommend it to new pilots all the time, but I've never been at the sticks of one myself!!!

Ken
[/quote]

Actually RCKen , you flew my 4 Star .40 quite a bit at the Minnesota RCU funfly 4 years ago. Orange one ,with a Saito .56. Just to refresh your memory , you used it to do some formation flying and was having a blast. You flew several planes that day ,but the 4 Star got the most flights . The reason I remember it so well , is you had my 4 Star doing things I did`nt know it could do..
They say , the memory is the first to go. lol
Old 09-18-2009, 07:50 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sig is really great people.
I currently have a Kadet Junior .25 size trainer and it flies just amazingly.
Ihave built several of their 1/2A control line kits and they fly great.
And Imanaged to grab a Little Extra before they went extinct, it is still NIB.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 AM
MikeL@Sig

Wow!! I am amazed at how long this thread has been around. All I can say is that we at SIG are glad you all support us. That is what keeps us in Business.

Thank You All

Happy landings!!

Mikel@Sig

[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.