Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Radios?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Radios?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Carevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios?

So I was thinking of getting a parkzone micro p51 since their pretty cheap. The question becomes if I'm going to stick with this hobby. What radio do I go with? I notice they seem to be pushing this bnf stuff. Which seems to be mostly these spektrum radios. Now most of the stuff I've done in the past with other people has mostly been futaba radios. For some background my gf got me the nexstar combo with the cheap futaba radio with it. At some point I'm guessing for my next glow plane I'll want to do something with retracks or whatever in a warbird down the line. To do this I'll need alot more than 4 channels. So I really don't see me putting that futaba radio from the nexstar into another plane. But if Idid get the parkzone would a spektrum be a good radio to get and grow with? Or should I strive for something like that new futaba 8chan. My issue becomes is 6 channels enough? For instance I really dig this p51 for something I'd want to be flying down the line. It requires 7-9 chans it says. Do most people use a y harness and a 6-8 where they can to get this done? Or just use a 9 chan, not really sure on things like this. Back on topic being that I probably will get that parkzone p51. I'm just dealing with the questions of would it be worth going out and spending the 200 on this 6chan spektrum or should I wait and go for that futaba 8chan or something else. Otherwise I'll need to use cheezy little transmitter in the rtf parkzone p51. Thoughts?

Edit: After looking over spektrums website I have noticed that their max channel air radio is the DX7. However if I look in the recievers I see 9 channel receivers? How does this work?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:25 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radios?

spektrum makes up to a 12ch http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP1200, as for which radio and how many channels? proably start with a 6ch, that will cover what I'll call the basics, alerions, rudder, elevator, throttle, flaps and retracts, then as you progress you can decide what kind of planes you like to fly, and how many channels you'll need. there are many options that you can add, smoke, brakes, lights, dual servos, sliding canopies, etc, etc, each one needing a channel
Old 11-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Montague

JR and Spektrum are comptable, so while Spektrum makes up to a 7 channel transmitter (which is a very nice transmitter btw), the JR 9303 and 12x work with the Spektrum 9 and 12 channel RX's.

I use a JR 9303 with a mix of Spektrum RXs from the 6100 for my park fliers to the 9-channel RX's in a couple of planes.

You can actually do quite a lot on a 7-channel transmitter when you use things like y-harnesses, or even devices like the JR Matchbox that allows you to fine tune the throws for multiple servos working on a single channel.

Personally, between the Futaba and the Spektrum/JR for 2.4Ghz, I'd lean towards the Spektrum/JR gear. You can move your Nextstar over with just a receiver and trimming some plastic off of the servo connectors.

If you want to fly just about anything, the JR 9303 is a great radio, and all those BNF airplanes work wtih it of course. If you don't want to spend that much right now, get the dx7 or dx6, and you can upgrade the TX later and sell your old one later on.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Carevin

What is Modulation:PPM & S-PCM on the that JR radio? Is that 2.4? Because all the pictures Iseem to pull up on the internet show what looks like the old style 72mhz long antenna vs the 2.4 one. Are the spektrum radios also PPM & S-PCM?

Also speaking of which... http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPR1221 what are those 3 little things at the end of the wires which have two wires coming out of them? Is that what a 2.4 antenna looks like now?

Old 11-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Montague

The 9303 comes in both 72mhz and 2.4ghz versions. (I actually have one of each). above, I was just talking about the 2.4ghz version.

I wouldn't bother buying new 72Mhz gear now. of course, new 72Mhz receivers are way down in price, and like new transmitters are really cheap.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Spektrum DX6i is a nice radio system that will work with bind-n-fly models like the Parkzone Micro P-51. It offers 10-model memory and mixing and programming features for both airplanes and helicopters. It's available for $149.99 without receiver, and it will be a long time before the average sport pilot outgrows this radio system.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:23 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather then answer your question directly I suggest you do some research on your own. There are many posts on here that explains most anything you may wish to know. It just takes some reading on your part. This hobby is a great one but it is wise to do some thinking for yourself also.