Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second Plane?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second Plane?

Old 01-05-2003, 07:13 PM
kingman5294

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Plane?

What would be a good second plane? I would prefer an ARF but a kit would be fine also. I want a plane that would teach me some aerobatics and eventually get me into more advanced aerobatics and possibly 3D, and also something that's not too hard to fly.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:09 PM
rptrsn
My Feedback: (1)

Default Second Plane?

Super sportster, comes in either kit or ARF, I believe. With a good .46 this plane is very aerobatic and quick, but will still slow down nice for easy landings. Similar to a 4* 40 but I think it is a better looking plane.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:58 PM
flap

Default Second Plane?

Really depends on the skill level. An Avistar can be a great 2nd.
muddpup had a great suggestion with the Super Sportster, or Fourstar 40, 60, or 120.
A little hotter plane? A Something Extra, however, IMO, you really do need to have a programable radio to tame the Fourstar and the Something Extra. Those controlls are huge compared to trainers and need dual rates.
Have fun!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:10 PM
freeonthree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Second Plane?

I really like my Super Sportster but there's something to be said for Biplanes. Nothing looks and sounds cooler than a bipe with a 4 stroke cruising by just above idle. But then again, I could care less about 3D. The occasional loop or roll does it for me. Anyone can slam the sticks and snaproll with practice and come out right, but try landing a short coupled biplane. My Super Stearman and I have been going round and round for several months. Sometimes I let my guard down after touchdown and wind up hopping sideways down the runway on 1 wheel and a wingtip. Now this is fun !!!! Try to keep it straight every time, not easy !!! I believe the bond between a pilot and his short coupled biplane is sorta like a marrige. If you want your mate to come straight home after work, you have to give them lots of attention. I've seen alot a good 3D pilots that can't land a short coupled bipe straight every time. Now you know what my goal is....................Landing is the most important part of the deal and it takes alot of practice to get it perfect every time. Get a short coupled biplane and learn how to land first. You'll go through lots of wingtip skids, and call it names from time to time, but that bipe will be your favorite plane to fly.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:23 PM
Fastsky

Default 2nd plane

I would go with a low good low wing. Super Sportster, Goldberg Tiger 2, Cloud Dancer are all good low aerobatic low wing arf's that will fly fast and then slow down nice for landing and will work well with a good 46 engine.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:28 AM
HOOTER

Default Second Plane?

Hanger 9 Ultra Stik 60 with 60 size two stroke or 91 four stroke.
Will be as crazy as you want to be or as tame as you want to be.
If you don't have a computer radio put the full length ailerons on and use with your four channel radio. You can always put the flaps on later as you step up.

Lands like a dream.

Later,

Jimmy
Old 01-08-2003, 07:42 AM
freeonthree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Second Plane?

Real airplanes have two wings and round motors.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:14 AM
Whirley Bird

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second Plane?

Originally posted by flatbeddennis
Real airplanes have two wings and round motors.
. Yeah,
Your right about that.
I really love the PITTS craft.
That plane on the left is yours
If so how abiut a PIC
Old 01-08-2003, 02:27 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default Second Plane?

Goldberg Tiger 2,Avistar,Stick type,BTE Venture 60
Old 01-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Second Plane?

You're going to get a ton of answeres. I would highly recommend a stick type plane. The ultrasticks and ugly stick planes have very good aerobatic ability, yet can land at a crawl. The have fantastic ground handling too. Worked for me. I got almost 1000 flights on my GP Bigstick 40.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:47 PM
vegas mossie

Default Second Plane?

Easy sport 40, Tiger 60, Cloud Dancer, or maybe a Hog Bipe...
Old 01-10-2003, 02:16 AM
Dennis DiBona

Default KAOS

I love my Super Sportster with a OS 52 surpass in it, is really a nice second plane. In fact am flying it right now on skis in the snow.

But on the other hand how about a KAOS. :idea:
They have them also in and ARF and are really a VEry VEry good flyer and land very nicely. Also the ARF is inexpensive.
The DiBo :idea:
Old 01-10-2003, 03:31 AM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Second Plane?

Don't forget the Sig Four Star .40 or .60 - they come in ARF's, now, and reasonable.

Flies like a beginner's pattern plane, capable of fairly advance aerobatics, yet lands like a trainer. Another close relative, is the Venture .60, by Tharpe. Some say it's better than the 4*, but I have never met a 4* that I didn't like!

All good choices - if you live by a club, go and ask the members what they like. Best bet is a nice, gentle low-wing, with a semi-symmetrical wing, and lot's of wing area.

But for my $$'s, I'd go with a 4*...

R
Old 01-10-2003, 03:52 AM
Wyo_Flyer

Default Tiger 2

Kingman
I built a Tiger 2 for my second plane and loved it. Lands like a kitten and with more throw in the controls, great fun to throw around the sky.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Dennis DiBona

Default 4 *40

I did not know they made the 4*40 in and ARF. IF that is the case I think I would probably suggest that also. I would not recommend the 60 only because of cost restraints. On second thought there is a downside to the 4*s They are not a good wind plane for a novice. Just as you say they float in and are very susceptible to gusts where a plane like a Super Sportster or a kaos penetrate a little better with a fully symmetrical wing.
Just a thought.
the DiBo :idea:
Old 01-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Whirley Bird

Default Re: 4 *40

Originally posted by Dennis DiBona

or a kaos penetrate a little better with a fully symmetrical wing.
Just a thought.
the DiBo :idea:
.I just spotted the post here and you mentioned KAOS.
Do you have more info on it?
Will it do what they call unliminted vertical?
Old 01-10-2003, 08:26 PM
Crashem

Default Second Plane?

Will it do what they call unliminted vertical?
If you want a sport model with this characteristic simply WAYYYY
over power your plane and you will get unlimited vertical.

If you want more info on the KAOS try the search feature I seem to recall a few threads talking about it.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:33 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default Second Plane?

You bet it can be unlimited,put a lawn mower or Volkswagon motor on the front.But with the extra weight the plane loses some of it's good flight handling.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Dennis DiBona

Default Kaos

Stick a OS surpass 70 on it for the unlimited vertical. is more than they call for, but is not something that someone would say is way too much. Is a wonderful plane. The originals were designed by Bridi. ( Killer Kaos, Miss Koas ) Tower sells and ARF now for like $100.00.
Can be set up as Trike or tail dragger. Has long tail moment so ground handling is great. Glides in nicely but is not what you would call a floater which is when you get in trouble with gusts of wind. Does it all as far as pattern flying. Well Not going to say is a pattern ship but is a very good stunt plane. I have had one for years and is a joy to fly. By the way I have a 70 in mine and goes out of site and I can hover with it. You can set the throws as sensitive or soft as you like. Can't beat it for the money.

The DiBo :thumbup:
Old 01-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Whirley Bird

Default Second Plane?

Originally posted by TerrellFlyer
You bet it can be unlimited,put a lawn mower or Volkswagon motor on the front.But with the extra weight the plane loses some of it's good flight handling.
Thats just what was on my mind.
Where or how do you Determine what the maximum engine size should be?
I'd like good flight characteristics and not just an over sized engine bolted on to control surfaces.
What are your feeling about the PITTS?
Thats what i'm thinking of getting but I never saw any info on how it flies so i'm holding off.
I had one person who wanted $400.00 but the shipping was more then half of that.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:00 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default Second Plane?

Evening Whirley Bird,the Koas is an old style kind of pattern plane,basically designed to fly on the wing,and it's a good weekend flying plane,with enough engine one can make a cub have unlimited vertical.Don't known what you are looking for or how much experience you have.If you have three to five models up on the learning scale,and the Pitts turns you on, go for it,I prefer the Ultimate but each to there own,a single wing I like the 300's,these types of planes are designed more for the sure nuff out and out wild flying.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Kaos

If you go with the Kaos, set up the control throw very mild. I flew one once and it was a handful. I don't think it was set up right because it was the most twitchy plane I ever flew. I think they are great planes, but they were designed for getting into pattern flying. I would highly recommend the Kaos for a fourth or fifth plane.

For unlimited vertical, you can't beat the profile planes. I like the ones from Morris Hobbies and most of the guys on the fun fly forum agree. Hang an OS 46 FX on them with an 11-4, 11.5-4, or 12.25-3.75 prop and they'll go up forever. A computer radio is highly recommended as you will want to dial some exponential into those large control surfaces.

I think a profile plane would make a good 3rd or 4th plane. I still think the best second planes are the Sticks and the Sig Kavalier.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:45 PM
jimo811
My Feedback: (17)

Default Good second plane?

Stick type planes are very good choices. My second plane was a bipe. They look good and are fun to own and fly. Go with extra power, while trying to keep the weight down. You don't have to fly the plane w.f.o., but it is nice to have the extra power if you need it. My 2 cents.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Default Second Plane?

Any of the " STICKS" !! The bigger the better !! If you want "Unlimited Vertical" Just go to the extremes on the power requirements ! They don't look like much, but are cheaper and will teach you what you want to know till you get accomplished enough to handle the 3D ships !

Good Luck !

Ugo
Old 01-11-2003, 12:47 AM
Whirley Bird

Default Second Plane?

Originally posted by TerrellFlyer
Evening Whirley Bird,the Koas is an old style kind of pattern plane,basically designed to fly on the wing,and it's a good weekend flying plane,with enough engine one can make a cub have unlimited vertical.Don't known what you are looking for or how much experience you have.If you have three to five models up on the learning scale,and the Pitts turns you on, go for it,I prefer the Ultimate but each to there own,a single wing I like the 300's,these types of planes are designed more for the sure nuff out and out wild flying.
.TerrellFlyer,
Thanks for the info.
I know there are many good planes out there but I sure like that PITTS and also considering the radial engine.
It's sort of in it's on class and a bit unique.
I'm still searching because I sure like to stay away from the almost 6 ft. wing span/
A bit more then I wanted.
Well I have 3 weeks and then I buy so right now it looks like the Great Planes PITTS
Many thanks to al who responded

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.