Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Evolution TPS .46

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Evolution TPS .46

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Mfromsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution TPS .46

This past winter I purchased a Arrow trainer with a Evolution TPS .46 engine and a JR Quatro radio. From day one the airplane didn't perform, the engine never ran right, I never got a complete flight.We sent the engine back, they put a new carburator on it and said it was fixed. In the mean time the guy at the local hobbie shop loaned me a .51 to use while my engine was being repaired so I could get some stick time in. While my instructor was flying it with the .51 on it the radio quit during a dive, the plane went vertical into the ground wide open, it was quite spectacular. I then sent the radio back and they found that the reciever was defective, the guy at the hobbie shop said that JR would make good on the radio but the plane was my responsibility, I then bought a ARF to replace my crashed plane, this was when I kinda lost interest.I have since decided to try and learn to fly, I took the flywheel off the TPS .46 and replaced the prop with a 2 blade 10 x 6, I also took the baffel out of the exhaust as it was causing so much back pressure that it caused the muffler to try and separate no matter how tight the screw was holding the muffler together, now the motor wont idle, it runs great wide open. The only way we could get it to idle somewhat was to close the idle screw all the way closed, it still wont transition to full throttle well at all, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you
Old 10-11-2004, 07:05 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Evolution TPS .46

If you took the baffle out, then you probably aren't getting any pressure to the fuel tank. This may be why it won't idle. Other than that, maybe the low needle valve, or a bad glow plug? I'm fishing on those, I would really bet that you need that baffle to create pressure in the tank. The pressure nipple on the muffler is in front of the baffle. JR should have made good on the plane, too. My dad had an elevator servo strip on a new trainer from hanger9, and they offered to replace the whole thing, but it was too late, he had already trashed the plane itself, so they just replaced the servo.
Get it to idle, and pinch the fuel line shut. If it speeds up before dying, then your low speed needle is too rich--Screw it in. If it dies immediately, then the needle is too lean, back it out some. It should run pretty much the same until all fuel has been burned--maybe a second or two, then die, without speeding up. These are just my ideas. I certainly don't know as much as most others on this board do, but I'm still learning like most. DB or minn flyer could probably help in this situation.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:35 PM
LuckyArmpit

I have an Evo .46 in my Twist. 1st, they say "engine broke in from factory. Basically no adjustments necessary". BS!!! The low end needle was screwed the whole way in. Engine wouldn't start period. I then took off the stupid adjustment ring so you could at least adjust needle. 2nd, use an 11x6 prop. Throw away the 3 blade prop.
I have 2 problems with mine. When you go full throttle, the rpms go up....but it sounds too rich. Then, 3 seconds later, it will hit full.
Also, you can fly the plane and then land with plenty of fuel left. Once you push up throttle to taxi back to the pits, the engine will die.
Thats if you don't gradually give it throttle. Weird engine. It runs a little better once its warmed up.

Dave...
Old 10-11-2004, 08:35 PM
tychoc

I have the same Arrow with the Evolution 46 (actually a .45). The plane flies very nicely when the engine works, but I have had tons of trouble with the Evolution. Twice the muffler has come apart, and as you have discovered, it's virtually impossibly to get the muffler to stay together. When I posted a similar question a few weeks back, one suggestion was to throw away the muffler and replace it with the Tower hobbies 46 muffler assembly. I have not had a chance to try this out yet. I sent my engine back to Horizon hobby for repair since it also started making a lot of noise both at idel and at WOT.
I did order the muffler from Tower Hobbies though, and will try this when I get the engine back. Costs $14.95.

I also found that the glow-plug that came with the engine didn't work very well. Seems like any other standard plug works better and as 2slow2matter suggested, you need to make sure the low speed needle is adjusted right.
I didn't have any problems with tank pressure and the fuel supply when I removed the baffel inside.

Good luck,
tycho
Old 10-12-2004, 04:55 AM
LuckyArmpit

I was told at the hobby shop that the engine only takes a horizon hobbies glow plug. Anyone using any other kind like a
A5 or 8 OS plug? Fox plug maybe?

Dave...
Old 10-12-2004, 06:48 AM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

I have the evolution trainer (.455) engine on a Kadet Sr. (Same as you are talking about I assume). Bought it brand new and I have never had a lick of trouble out of it except for the glow plug. The plug that came with it burnt out after the first flight. I use only OS#8 plugs in it now and it purs like a kitten.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 AM
jettstarblue

I've got two of these engines, and they both are flawless. I've never had a problem with the glow plug, but it can use an OS or Fox as a replacement. I didn't take out the baffle, but instead just punched out the holes a little bit. Also, I use an 11X6 Zinger prop on both. A 10X6 is too small!
Do a search on this engine here on the RCU, there is some good advice on adjusting the carbs, especially the low end.
I DID have a problem with the JR Quattro radio on about the 10th flight, and again on the 15th. Both times the elevator servo crapped out, (technical term) got rid of the bad servo, and didn't have any problems with the radio again, until it was run over by a semi....don't ask!
Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 AM
ActionVerb

Got the EVO TPS on my Superstar 40. Has run smooth and trouble free 20 flights in. I think I'm experiencing what LuckyArmpit commented on. A slight delay between WOT and max RPM, but it's minor and likely could be fixed if I knew anything about tuning an engine.

One suggestion about idle. Try putting the flywheel back on. Supposedly it's there to help give a reliable idle.

I just switched from the 3 blade to an 11x6, nice speed increase, but definetly faster landings.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This comes straight from the factory:

Remove the blue collar on the low end adjustment screw.
Close the throttle so that it is only open 1mm.
Close the Idle adjustment screw and re-open 1 and 1/5 turns.
Replace the blue collar in the middle of it's adjustment range.

PS, I would replace the baffle ans use Loc-tite on the screw
Old 10-12-2004, 05:15 PM
flbynt

I had a similar problem with the .46tps quiting when climbing from take off. It ran great on the ground. The problem was a small crack in the fuel tank.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:34 PM
phread59

Us some blue loctite on the screws to keep the muffler together. As others have said your low speed needle sounds off. You actually run on the low needle untill around 3/3rds throttle. The low needle adjustment is critical. I also agree, ditch the 10-6, too small. Start with an 11-6 and go from there. Good luck with it. A Fox or an OS plug should help. I have read where these engines sometimes have a taste for an idle bar plug. Try one and see how it works. I have used Fox's for years and always had good service from them.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-13-2004, 04:52 AM
LuckyArmpit

I had my Twist out yesterday as it has an Evo .46 in it. While running the engine full, you could see the needle valve knob turn!!!!!!
You could even see the "O" ring. We had it turned out 4 turns and 1/2 turn. Didn't make a bit of difference. We decided it may be
that some dirt or foreign matter may have gotten in. So we pulled out the needle and just blew air threw it. Seemed to help.
I flew it 3 flights after that without too much trouble.

Dave...
Old 10-13-2004, 06:33 AM
Mfromsc

Thank you very much for your responses, I have since given the engine to the guy at the hobbie shop, he claims he has it purring like a kitten, I'm gonna pick it up today, I'll let y'all know about the outcome
Old 10-13-2004, 03:10 PM
LuckyArmpit

Hope it works out for ya!!!! Nothing worse than going to field, putting the wing etc. Fueling up and your engine starts acting like a hemorrhoid!

Dave...
Old 10-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Mfromsc

Finally got it fixed, it was the blue collar like the factory said, it wouldnt let the low speed idle screw go all the way in, that is why it would still run with the screw all the way in, thank you all very much for all the advice and support
Old 10-13-2004, 05:54 PM
jettstarblue

No problem my friend! You are welcome.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:57 PM
javcr

Hi friends

Good tha te problems whit the Evo are fixed.. my history, 3 months ago i can get a RTF (EASY STAR) whit Evo and the 5 chanells radio that come with the pack, i have to many problems whit the plane, the incidence angle is not right, with the trailing edge of the wing raised about 1/8 the plane still wants to go up, i have checked the CG, The engine angle etc. and nothing, the engine is very hard to tune on idle, and when is on the air maybe 4 or 5 minutes the engine rpm's are very variable from top to midle , i landed the plane and on the ground all is ok, about the radio, i don't know if the problems is the radio or a bad servo (all electronics come installed) the last flight the plane made 2 loops alone, inmediatly land the plane and perform radio check with and without engine running ,all looks good, again on the air, 3 or 4 minutes and the plane again made a loop, the engine start to fail and the better was to land it and go home for better check...

Any comments?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:29 AM
thermal

I bought the Alpha trainer with the Evo .45 engine and never had any problem with it. I liked the engine so much that I bought a new Evo .46 and put it on a Twist as my second plane...again no problem whatsoever. I took the Evo .45 from my trainer and put it on a Super Air (nice pattern plane from Hobby Lobby by the way) and it still runs great. Both of these engines have been nosed into the dirt on various less than perfect "landings". All I've done is clean them off, rinse out the carborator well with fuel and they've given flawless performance. Sorry to hear about the problems some of you have had with them.

Bob
Old 08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
JDBuddy
My Feedback: (13)

Anyone know how much the weighted flywheel weighs? I took it off of my .45 when I moved the engine from my trainer to an Uproar, but I would like to know the offical weight of the .45 without it. Does the .45 weigh the same as the .46 NT?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM
skiman762

1.5 oz
Old 08-28-2006, 01:57 PM
JDBuddy
My Feedback: (13)

Skiman,

Are you sure. The total weight of the TSP is 19.52 oz and the weight of the .46NT is 13.10 oz. I would expect the flywheel to be most of the difference, maybe 5.0 oz to 5.5 oz. I am only asking because I do not have the old flywheel to weigh. I am thinking of putting the engine on a plane that should really have a 10.0 oz engine on it, so it would be nice to know the weight of the TSP without the weighted hub.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I would like to chime in on this one as well. I have the Arrow trainer and since day one i have not touched a thing on that engine other than the glow plug. It has always given me flawless performance. I have since bought the Evo. 61 and it runs just as good. I even planted the 61 in the dirt and it still runs like a champ.

flyboy76
Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 PM
skiman762

ORIGINAL: JDBuddy

Skiman,

Are you sure. The total weight of the TSP is 19.52 oz and the weight of the .46NT is 13.10 oz. I would expect the flywheel to be most of the difference, maybe 5.0 oz to 5.5 oz. I am only asking because I do not have the old flywheel to weigh. I am thinking of putting the engine on a plane that should really have a 10.0 oz engine on it, so it would be nice to know the weight of the TSP without the weighted hub.
Yes I have one I use as a paper weight I weighed it on my digital scale right before I posted
I think the weight your refering to includes the prop and spinner
I'll got weight the engine without prop for you
it's 17.1 oz with the bare prop shaft and muffler,, no nut or washer or flywheel of course
must be a misprint on the website my scale is pretty good

horizon shows for the .46nt
Total Weight: 16.96 oz
Engine (Only) Weight: 13.76 oz
Muffler Weight: 3.20 oz

and the .45 tps
Total Weight: 19.52 oz
Engine (Only) Weight: 16.32 oz
Muffler Weight: 3.20 oz