Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Just got a GP extra 300s for first plane UPDATED

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Just got a GP extra 300s for first plane UPDATED

Old 09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
chickenx5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a GP extra 300s for first plane UPDATED

i just got a GP extra 300s for my first plane, with a OS FS90, anyone have any tips for me for flying? i have been flying helis now on advanced level. and the only other plane i have flown is a nexstar, i solode my first flight. it was easy. any tips for me with this new plane as far as flying take off and landin?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:31 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Just got a GP extra 300s for first plane

Stay On The Buddy Box For A Few Flights. Use Dule Rates If You HAve Then.
Go Tear Up The SKY!!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

My recommendation would be to keep flying a trainer or a good second plane for a while before trying that Extra 300. An Extra is extremely quick(not so much fast but agile) and will probably get away from a beginner(which you are when it comes to airplanes). If you feel you're ready for something more advanced than a trainer, look at something like a Sig Four Star first, then try the Extra after you get some airplane hours under your belt
Old 09-04-2006, 10:47 PM
YNOT

Good luck with that.

Don't get it too slow.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
chickenx5

i would also like to ask what plane it is like on the sim ? on rf g3
Old 09-05-2006, 07:00 AM
aerospot

You'll have fun,,... if only for a brief period of time.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're an advanced heli pilot, you should be ok (ok for flying the Extra that is. If you're an advanced heli pilot, you're obviously not OK mentally )

But yes, I would get some buddy box time, and remember, unlike helis, airplanes need to be moving to keep from falling out of the sky!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:51 AM
doubledee

Let me be the first to offer my condolences over crashing your 300S. Advanced heli pilot or not, the 300S is not a beginners airplane. Stay on the trainer for awhile, become "advanced" at flying it, then maybe your 300S will survive for a while. Fixed wing aircraft and helicopters are not the same.

Regards,
doubledee
Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Stay on the trainer until you can roll it inverted and fly 3 circuits of the field inverted. Then you'll be ready for the 300.

Ken
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Advanced heli pilot?

<chuckle>
Old 09-05-2006, 01:42 PM
chickenx5

In the sim i can do anything, hovering, torq rolls, i can do anything. i have gone on a buddy box with a ziggy, then 2 overpowered top wing trainers. i could fly inverted circuits no problem, the first time i ever flew i had to dead stick it and it was a perfect landing, and i have flown my dads nexstar 5 times for him without any crashes, but i know these arent mid wing aircrafts! the guy i bought it from said hes going to let me fly his mustang before i fly the extra, he said the only hard thing about it is the takeoff because i have never flwon a tail dragger. and yes baracuda i fly in the advanced class. no need to laugh
Old 09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Yes, the simulator MAY help some in real life, but you still need real world stick time before moving to the Extra. It's becoming apparent that what we are telling you isn't' what you want to hear, but that doesn't mean that it's not the truth. Between the people that have given you advice here there are literally over a hundred years of experience, they are trying to help you. If you don't want to wait then go ahead and fly the Extra, but make sure you take along a good size trash bag to bring it back in. If you don't want to bring a bag then slow down and get some AIRPLANE experience under your belt before you fly the Extra.

I'm speaking from experience. My 3rd plane was an Extra 300. While I was capable of "flying" it and getting it back down, I was never really in control of it. They plane was flying me every time I was in the air, meaning that I just didn't have the experience to fly it. Yes, I crashed it. There is a huge difference between flying the airplane and being true control of it. True control comes from experience. Trust me on this one

Ken
Old 09-05-2006, 02:09 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Which size GP extra is it?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:12 PM
chickenx5

heres a pic of it, it has an OS FS90

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...liandplane.jpg
Old 09-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Missileman

I deleted my original post.
Good luck with the extra 300.
Keep the rates low and landing speed up until you get used to the way it handles.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: chickenx5

baracuda stop harasing me in every forum i post in. i DO fly in the advanced class, i won the intermediate.
I don't see any harrasement going on here. If you have a problem with another member you WILL not have it out in the open. Those types of disscussions need to be done on PM's between you and the other member. If you feel another member is not following the rules then you need to open up a report on them. There is a link at the bottom right of every post for you to open a report. Take this as a last warning, actions such as this one here will not be tolerated in the beginner's forum. If you feel like you are being mistreated please feel free to PM me to discuss the situation.

Ken
Old 09-05-2006, 02:46 PM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

Real Flight Gen 2 had an Extra 300 available (maybe an add-on), but I'm not sure about Gen 3.

If the 300 is not available for Gen 3, I'd suggest using the modification capabilities to simulate the wing loading, wing planform and stab to wing dimensions of the 300. Try to match the areas of the surfaces as best as possible. Add wing loading and control throws until the sim plane is prone to snapping with moderate application of elevator. Fly the sim plane until you experience no tendency to snap in flight.

Though not a replacement for training with a buddy box, this will give you more of a fighting chance, at least for the flight portion. Regardless of how much flight practice you do on the sim, the ground handling on landing may still "eat your lunch". (Ground loops have damaged more aircraft than crashes from flight) Gen 2 allows for more accurate ground handling characteristics modeling than Gen 3, from what I've read.

Good Luck!

DT56
Old 09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
rlipsett

Since you are going to try to fly it with little advanced aircraft experience I would recommend you get it up high and see how slow you can get the plane before it tips stalls on you. These planes have been known to snap and tip stall and the last place you want to find out about the planes idosyncracies are on a final for landing. So have fun keep the rates low for the first few flights to get used to it.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Regardless of having flown sim or not youre going to crasch that Extra in no time because youre not accustomed to flying anaircraft in the real world (sim planes always throttle good and never snap-roll ). Simulators isn't the same as the real world.
And its those small deviations that make the difference of going home with the model complet or going home with it in a bag....

Some advise! Get a high winged trainer with square fuselage and learn basic flying. then go for a low winged sport airplane...then the Extra...or something betetr or more fun (Extra 300 models in that size does'nt fly that good)
-It's strange.... Newbies always think that they would just need one airplane...on the contrary, you can't get enough of airplanes . Always strive to have at least some airplanes in your stable...crashing is mandatory. Why do the crashing with an Extra 300?

Regards!
Jan K
Old 09-07-2006, 05:52 AM
ysrcflyer

"Since you are going to try to fly it with little advanced aircraft experience I would recommend you get it up high and see how slow you can get the plane before it tips stalls on you. These planes have been known to snap and tip stall and the last place you want to find out about the planes idosyncracies are on a final for landing. So have fun keep the rates low for the first few flights to get used to it. "

This is what happens in above post when coming in for landing. 2nd flight! They definatly like to snap & tip stall.
It has been repaired and is currently one of my favorites!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40031.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	520373  
Old 09-07-2006, 02:43 PM
JustErik

Chicken,

If you decide to fly this bird unassisted, against all the advice above, it's likely that you'll end up with a damaged, if not destroyed Extra. On the other hand, if you haven't misrepresented your abilities, there is also a (somewhat slim) chance you'll manage to learn how it flies and lands without any mishaps. Which ever way it turns out, don't forget to come back and let us know how it turned out. There might be a few I-told-you-so's, but I suspect it's nothing you can't handle.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

One thing that hasn't been said before that probably should be brought out.... There is a huge difference in "flying" an airplane and "being in control" of an airplane. It doesn't take much skill to get an airplane in the air, fly it around, and then land it, that would be flying it. But being in true control with an airplane is something totally different. Being in control means that you aren't always trying to "catch up" to what the plane is doing. Being in control means that you know what the plane will do when you give it certain control inputs. Being in control means you know how to recover a plane from that inverted flat spin, or that unexpected snap roll. I can't even begin to count all of the people I have seen try to fly a plane that there weren't in control of. It may not happen on the very first flight, but it usually doesn't take too much time before they get in over their heads and plant the plane. It happens because too many people try to fly an advanced plane too soon.

Ken
Old 09-07-2006, 03:06 PM
elenasgrumpy

ORIGINAL: RCKen

One thing that hasn't been said before that probably should be brought out.... There is a huge difference in "flying" an airplane and "being in control" of an airplane. It doesn't take much skill to get an airplane in the air, fly it around, and then land it, that would be flying it. But being in true control with an airplane is something totally different. Being in control means that you aren't always trying to "catch up" to what the plane is doing. Being in control means that you know what the plane will do when you give it certain control inputs. Being in control means you know how to recover a plane from that inverted flat spin, or that unexpected snap roll. I can't even begin to count all of the people I have seen try to fly a plane that there weren't in control of. It may not happen on the very first flight, but it usually doesn't take too much time before they get in over their heads and plant the plane. It happens because too many people try to fly an advanced plane too soon.

Ken

Lol, Been there, Crashed that!!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:33 PM
doubledee

Let us not forget that this is a person who is an "advanced" heli pilot and "can do anything" on the sim. I doubt that the advice against flying the 300S is going to have any effect. Generally speaking, the smaller the scale aerobatic airplane the more difficult it is to fly. The predictable end result is that the 300S in question is already dead and is simply waiting to crash.
I hope that chickenx5 is able to handle the airplane, fly it well and land it all in one piece. Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to be the case. If we don't hear from him again, it means the plane is history. However, I do wish him good luck.

Regards,
doubledee
Old 09-07-2006, 06:15 PM
chickenx5

imflying it this weekend, the guy i bought it from offered to take it up for me and then hand me the controls, so i can do that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.