Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How hard is it.....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How hard is it.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 AM
LonestarMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it.....

I get asked this question all the time by potential newbies, spectators, full-scale pilots, etc.
So as to not scare off any "customers" I say it requires hand and eye coordination and a considerable amount of control of up,down,left, right awareness w/o getting too technical. I try to mention the price last just like any good "used car saleman" would do. Should I add something else slyly or just be blunt......
Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Dorsil

Default RE: How hard is it.....

Well there are 2 answers..

1. Well it is very hard if you go at it alone and just want to fly or pilot an RC Aircraft without any help.

2. With proper instruction, It may still be hard, but You will not be back here with a garbage bag with your new Toy in it.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:42 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I sometimes say something along the lines of "if I can do it, just about anyone can".
Old 09-21-2006, 10:47 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: LonestarMan

.....I try to mention the price last just like any good "used car saleman" would do...

Should I add something else slyly or just be blunt......
Why would you want to "hide" or "sugar coat" anything? Doing that only makes a person upset later on down the road when it starts costing more than they were told it would. Same thing with the difficulty of learning to fly. In this case I think that 100% honesty is the only way to deal with people interested in the hobby. This may sound a bit cold, but this is an expensive hobby and if somebody doesn't have the money then they shouldn't be thinking about doing it. Either that or find a way to come up with the money, or a creative way to participate.

Non-of us are "salesmen" for this hobby. I know that I'm not. I try to let somebody know exactly what to expect as they get into the hobby. That way they don't have unpleasant surprises later on. Those usually lead to someone giving up and walking away from the hobby with a bitter taste in their mouth, and then they will do nothing but spread bad info about the hobby.

That's my 2¢ worth.

Ken
Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Fastsky

Good question! Maybe just my thoughts here but being a fast paced world today the people asking usually want a short and quick answer. To seperate possible new flyers from no prospects I tell them that it will require about 10 hours of buddy box training with an instructor. I realize that this is an arbitrary number. It may take more, or less training time than this but at least from their reaction you can tell weather or not to waste time on them. If they start talking about how they wouldn't have "that kind of spare time", then this hobby isn't for them. If they say something like "that doesn't sound too bad" then maybe you can get into how much time it will take to get a plane ready before they can start flying. If that doesn't faze them, then thats the time to get into discussing $$, but not before then. Can't let all our secrets out!!! [8D]
Old 09-21-2006, 11:09 AM
LonestarMan

Thank you fellas for your comments, I just feel like sometimes in the interest of getting more youngsters into "The Hobby" I sometimes have to choose my words carefully especially w/ the advent of videos games,Tickle Me Elmo dolls, R/C trucks and cars,movies and mall, hangin' out etc.. It's a stiff competition and it seems according to AMA membership, we are kinda losing ground. Now as a matter of record, I don't fly at an AMA field for reasons previously noted,but as a courtesy I always recommend it and give direx to it. I know the Park Flyers are coming on strong, but since I fly glow, I kinda partial to that. Just trying to keep it going so we'll have replacements when we all go feet first. Thanx, Rob
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 AM
skeeter_ca

I'm new to learning again, but i have read rc mags for as long as i can remember (being middle aged my long term memory isn't that great). I leave alot of them laying around at work and the guys drool over them and always ask if this hot plane or that would be good to start flying with. I point them to the trainers and slow flyers and tell them they will have a chance of flying those and they lose interest real quick. They don't want to be bothered with trainers and joining clubs. So i tell them to just give me the cash and spare the aircraft the first 30 sec. flight.

skeeter
Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

If someone asks me, I tell them its like driving a car. Its easy once you know how to do it, but learning requires competent instruction and experience.

Brad
Old 09-21-2006, 11:44 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tell them the truth. It's not easy, it's not cheap, it takes practice and training because it's a skill to be learned like many others they have acquired as they have grown through the years. With that said, it can be done and for most it is worth the effort. I tell them they will crash sooner or later and they will feel bad about it but there is another plane waiting for them to go on with. At that point I stop and see if they have any initial questions. After answering those I go on to explaining costs and training programs available. If possible I let them try flying a trainer on the field the same day before they leave. Gotta "set the hook".
Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM
LonestarMan

I know what you mean, about the not being bothered w/ trainers and such. I had that same attitude when I 1st got started. Trainer [:'(]!!!!!.. Luckily the guys enlightened me when I showed up w/ my spank brand-new hot rod P-51 thinking I was gonna fly that day. I ended up selling to buy a trainer. That was approx. 16 years ago. Just a couple a weeks ago a guy showed up w/ a parkflyer P-51 and it lasted 5 secs.__ $100- $200 gone that quick!!!!. He was dumdfounded and asked me afterwards "How hard is it" ??? Well I said "Blah, blah, blah, yada,yada,yada, etc...Rob
Old 09-21-2006, 11:58 AM
LonestarMan

Believe you me bruce, I keep my hookometer on full range all the time, Rob...
Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 PM
LonestarMan

BKDAVY, I don't know if that will work.. I tried teaching my ex to drive a stick... BAD,BAD and then one guy really wanted to know where the steering wheel in the plane was. I said[sm=what_smile.gif] Thanx,Rob...
Old 09-21-2006, 01:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

I sometimes say something along the lines of "if I can do it, just about anyone can".
And I sometimes say, "if Chuck can do it, just about anyone can".

I just thought I'd pick on someone besides Bubba for a change.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:51 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I thought that was why we kept Ken around? Ooh, and tomorrow is Friday too.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

I thought that was why we kept Ken around? Ooh, and tomorrow is Friday too.
Dang, and I was hoping if I sat in the corner quietly nobody would notice me!!!!!

Ken
Old 09-21-2006, 01:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Naw, picking on Ken is almost TOO easy
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM
bruce88123

Almost??
Old 09-21-2006, 01:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Naw, picking on Ken is almost TOO easy

Ken
Old 09-21-2006, 02:06 PM
JPGale

On my first lesson, my instructor told someone who was asking if he should go electric and upgrade later that it was like learning to drive a stick, once you can drive one you can drive anything, etc.

Personally I wish learning to fly was as easy as learning stick, I never did have to learn I could just do it, but flying I just don't seem to be able to make that final step to solo. Then I learnt to drive 11 (I was 17 min age in the UK) years ago, and I could not wait, first time in a car on the road and perfect gear changes, and reasonable clutch control. Now, still can not do touch and goes well at all. I could proberly pass the check flight, but I do not feel i am safe yet.

J
Old 09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
LonestarMan

To help w/ Touch and Go's, try the limbo method.. Start up 3 mistakes high, then 2 mistakes, then 1 mistake until you can fly the full length of the runway w/o deviations of any type. When you get comfortable w/ 1 mistake, then start doing the limbo until you can fly 12 inches off the ground w/o deviations. Keep in mind your plane hates this, cause it thinks it' s coming in for a landing, but you throttle up and go around. When you're ready, go ahead and land. Remember to flair___.. You'll "Look good doin it" your buds will swear up and down you had Crisco on dem thar wheels.

P.S. even I , a certified expert, screw up landings, so don't stress...[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 PM
bruce88123

Certified? Oh yeah! Expert? Hmmmm[>:]
Old 09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
LonestarMan

OKAY_ OKAY, Bruce, I have assumed the position and I got my hands where you can see them..... Rob...
Old 09-21-2006, 04:57 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: LonestarMan

OKAY_ OKAY, Bruce, I have assumed the position and I got my hands where you can see them..... Rob...
That's OK, I was just wondering where I could go to get my certification done.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:34 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I tell people its about as difficult as learning a musical instrument..............they seem to understand that.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:42 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

I tell people its about as difficult as learning a musical instrument..............they seem to understand that.

I have mastered 3 of them. The radio, (my first), the cassette deck and the CD player.

I am still struggling with the VCR though......STUPID CLOCK!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.