Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sorting out my shop

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sorting out my shop

Old 09-23-2006, 05:28 PM
netdudeuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorting out my shop

Here is what I have got to store and work on my birds. From the boiler through to the clock. The 'slope' on the right is where the staircase is so you can see how deep the 'bench area' is. The TM400 is hung on the wall to the left of the boiler and is the only one to be 'organised' LOL but that's not ideal either. I want to be able to keep the birds as ready to fly as possible, have space to store bits and pieces, charge my packs and work on the planes. With that in mind, what would you guys do with the space ? Any pics of your own shops could be helpful.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37627.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	529085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68554.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	529086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60925.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	529087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68138.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	529088  
Old 09-23-2006, 06:12 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sorting out my shop

To start with, you can hand the planes from the tail along the wall. In you case, you'll to devise a way to suspend some wood down from the rafters to there will be a place to put hooks in. Look closely at the pictures and you'll see how I use a simple screw-in hook along with some string around the tail. If you alternate one plane nose up, the next nose down you can overlap wings and really pack them into a smaller area. You can also use the same basic principle to hang them from the rafters, in a level (flight) attitude. You can also make some small shelves about 6" deep and hang them from the stairwell high enough to alow use of the bench.

You can also send me the planes and radio's you don't have room for - I'll be glad to store and fly them (to make sure they reamain in good working order, of course).

Hogflyer

Name:	Yv66172.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	529095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33787.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	529096  
Old 09-23-2006, 09:45 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

wow your workspace is neater than mine............lol
Old 09-24-2006, 05:37 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

I would start by throwing away everything that you are never going to use again. Then, throw away all of the parts that you might get around to fixing "someday". Then some hooks, plastic bins from WallyWorld, and a decent toolbox and you should be set.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:41 AM
parrthd

or if you don't want to hang 'em by the tail, hang 'em by the landing gear, i hang all my "ready to fly planes" from the ceiling just to keep 'em out of the way. i generally use two peices of small rope, one around the prop nut and one around the fuse back around the horizontal stabilizer. if you want you can take pipe insulation and run the rope through that to pad the rope against the monokote but i've never had a problem with the rope against the monokote.

hope this helps
Old 09-24-2006, 03:17 PM
NCIS

My work shop is also in the cement basement. I took 8 foot 2x4's and mounted them horizontally to the wall using tap-con screws and gorilla glue. Then made 4 spaces for hanging my fuselages by their tail. I drilled 1" holes about 6" apart 3/4 way through the 2x4's for dowel rods. I covered the dowels with pipe insulation to protect the stabilizers. The fuselage fits between the dowels and holds the models great. In my small shop I have room for 12 planes hanging on the three walls I'm not using for a wing rack and storage shelves. The wing rack is about the same except I used 1x3's 7' long and screwed them to the shelves vertically about 3' apart. In your case you could use tap-cons and glue again. I drilled 3/4' holes in the 1x3's about 10" below the other on each vertical 1x3. I inserted the dowels and covered them with flexible clear tubing to protect the wings. This holds 8 wings including the first holes and dowels that are at the very top of the 1x3's. I also stapled a king sized sheet on the top of the 1x3's so I can flip it over the wings and protect them from dust when I'm building.

Gibbs
Old 09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your space is screaming hangar rash for sure what I did was use adjustable shelf standards the ones with lots of adjustment slots screw them to the wall you will need concrete screws ( there called Tap-Cons in the U.S.) take the shelf brackets and like NCIS said and slide foam rubber pipe insulation over the ends, here in the U.S. its cheap and you use it for 3/4 copper pipe, it works great for padding the brackets then you can "shelf " your planes and when you need to adjust for different planes its easy move it up or down as needed here is some pics of my set up one over my building surface and one by the T.V. laundry folding table. my old building surface

Name:	Fd90971.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	530647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65542.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	530648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28971.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	530649  
Old 09-26-2006, 02:03 PM
scratchonly

I have a 19 foot by 12 foot workshop and a 28 foot by 18 foot rec room and still can't figure out what to do with everything; the point being the more space you have the more you will fill. I feel sorry for my wife who is a clean freak.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:57 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: scratchonly

I have a 19 foot by 12 foot workshop and a 28 foot by 18 foot rec room and still can't figure out what to do with everything; the point being the more space you have the more you will fill. I feel sorry for my wife who is a clean freak.
Close the door!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

What Bruce said....oh, and get rid of the beer cans and cigarette butts before company comes over and gets a different impression. Hell, that's what I did and works/(ed) out fine.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 AM
netdudeuk

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd not thought of the 'wing rack' but it seems fairly common.

ORIGINAL: muzzlemaggot

What Bruce said....oh, and get rid of the beer cans and cigarette butts before company comes over and gets a different impression. Hell, that's what I did and works/(ed) out fine.
Bet you didn't notice the beer can in my photos
Old 09-27-2006, 07:51 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: netdudeuk

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd not thought of the 'wing rack' but it seems fairly common.

You call that stuff you people drink over there beer? [:'(]
Old 09-27-2006, 08:18 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

You call that stuff you people drink over there beer? [:'(]
[:@][:@]

[X(][X(]

Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 PM
NCIS

What kind of beer is that, I drink many different brands of imported beer from the can and bottle. Never seen that kind before. Weird can!

Gibbs
Old 09-27-2006, 05:05 PM
netdudeuk

[link]http://www.k1664.co.uk[/link]

Maybe a little too hard for you American gentlemen
Old 09-27-2006, 05:48 PM
JPGale

K1664, IMHO tastes like something a rat has passed, it is also a larger which is the same as american beer, not if you want to hurt these guys give them a good old pint (imperial of course) of old speaklehen or something like that, although I have never been a ale drinker.

J
Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Now now, we won't go there!!!!!

Because we all know why the British drink warm beer!!!! Because Lucas makes refridgerators too!!!!

Having owned at least 12 british cars throughout the years I'm entitled to make this joke!!!

Ken
Old 09-28-2006, 01:23 AM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: JPGale

K1664, IMHO tastes like something a rat has passed, it is also a larger which is the same as american beer, not if you want to hurt these guys give them a good old pint (imperial of course) of old speaklehen or something like that, although I have never been a ale drinker.

J
I wouldn't go as far as that but I am partial to a Bud or two
Old 09-28-2006, 01:25 AM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Because we all know why the British drink warm beer!!!! Because Lucas makes refridgerators too!!!!

Having owned at least 12 british cars throughout the years I'm entitled to make this joke!!!

Ken
You bought a British car ? Serves you right The best cars that I have bought have all been German ones

Old 09-28-2006, 03:53 AM
the pope

I'm partial to the odd bud myself.The stuff that doesnt come in a can ! Cheers the Pope dude
Old 09-28-2006, 06:00 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

Netdude,

Oh contrare; the best cars are the V8 muscle that Detroit pumped out in the 60's
Old 09-28-2006, 08:09 AM
buz2au

If you want to talk about beer you will need to put up a few Aussie beers, there's nothing like a ice cold `XXXX' or Crown Larger after a hot day at the field, also about twice the alcohol content of US beer & about 10 times better than that warm ‘stuff’ that the pommies call beer
Old 09-28-2006, 08:12 AM
hogflyer

Netdude,

Oh contrare; the best cars are the V8 muscle that Detroit pumped out in the 60's

Nothing like a "HEMI"
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ken
You bought a British car ? Serves you right The best cars that I have bought have all been German ones

Yeah, you have to own several British cars at one time, that way you might have ONE that will start in the morning when you have to go to work!!!!

I've always had a weakness for the British sports cars, or maybe that would be better described as a sickness???

I've had TR-7, TR-7 convertible, TR-8, TR-6, TR-3, Austin Healey bugeyed spite, MG Midget, MGB, MGA, just to name some of them. I'm pretty much over that phase now. I'd rather spend the money on this hobby!!!!

Ken

Old 09-28-2006, 08:42 AM
bruce88123

Ken

Yeah, you have to own several British cars at one time, that way you might have ONE that will start in the morning when you have to go to work!!!!

I've always had a weakness for the British sports cars, or maybe that would be better described as a sickness???

I've had TR-7, TR-7 convertible, TR-8, TR-6, TR-3, Austin Healey bugeyed spite, MG Midget, MGB, MGA, just to name some of them. I'm pretty much over that phase now. I'd rather spend the money on this hobby!!!!

Ken

Ahh, your toys are getting bigger?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.