Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nexstar vs Avistar vs Magister

Old 10-03-2006, 02:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Nexstar vs Avistar vs Magister

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Not Airtronics but I did say "MAJOR". That last little dig was for RCKen's benefit.
When I started flying I was in a discussion with a group of other pilots and they were all talking about their radios and the problems they had. They were saying how they had to send their radios in for this, that, and the other thing. I kept hearing Futaba, JR, Hitech, etc.... but didn't hear anybody mention Airtronics. Finally I asked why nobody was talking about Airtronics radios. The other Airtronics pilots there piped up and said, "that's simple, those of us using Airtronics don't have problems like that!!!!!!"

Ken
Old 10-03-2006, 02:11 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Not Airtronics but I did say "MAJOR". That last little dig was for RCKen's benefit.
When I started flying I was in a discussion with a group of other pilots and they were all talking about their radios and the problems they had. They were saying how they had to send their radios in for this, that, and the other thing. I kept hearing Futaba, JR, Hitech, etc.... but didn't hear anybody mention Airtronics. Finally I asked why nobody was talking about Airtronics radios. The other Airtronics pilots there piped up and said, "that's simple, those of us using Airtronics don't have problems like that!!!!!!"

Ken
Have you seen Airtronic's newest 6 channel set? 2 soup cans with 6 strings between them.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ken
Have you seen Airtronic's newest 6 channel set? 2 soup cans with 6 strings between them.
Nope, I spent the extra money and got the 8 string version!!!!!

Ken
Old 10-03-2006, 08:03 PM
roltech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TideFlyer

I`ve not flown either of the other two, but I can tell you that an Avistar with a 46 is tough to beat IMHO. Good for basic aerobatics but watch it the first few times you fly it. It can be a real hot rod with a 46. Will also land somewhat hot, but nothing bad. Just a great all-around flyer.

I have both and now like the Avistar had a Nexstar, but the Nextstar started me in this hobby.

roltech
Old 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Pete1burn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, everything was ordered last night and should get here Friday. I'm considering doing a build thread with pics, etc. This will be my first plane build and I'd like to document it.

Also found a LHS about 25 minutes away. Stopping by there this afternoon to pick up some fuel, epoxy and the like.

Getting excited!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Document away and bring on any questions you might have BEFORE you make a mistake. [:@]
Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Pete1burn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Absolutely! You know I'll be asking questions if I have them.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hopefully the LHS you found will be a good source for stuff, and info. We have 6 shops within reasonble driving distance (all less than 45 minutes away, one just 5 minutes from my job). Each has strengths and weaknesses. Different things are a good deal at one versus another. I buy all fuel from the LHS; and other stuff when I "need it now" or if they have a good price; otherwise I order online.

If I go to the LHS and ask a bunch of questions, and handle the product, I buy from them even if they do have a higher price. I think it's only right to give them the business in that case. My brother paid between 15 and 20% more (than mail order) to buy his first computer radio at the LHS because they answered all of his questions and pulled a half dozen units out of the display case and explained a lot of the differences in features at various price points.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Pete1burn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Indeed. It's always worth paying a little extra to get the next level of support and assistance.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:06 PM
deathsprial

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Pete I may be late with this post but here goes. I have both the Nextstar and the Magister both have been converted to electric motors. I like the Nextstar for it looks but for durabulity there is no beating the Magister. I have hit anything that you could you could think of. I have had this plane for about 2 years but the one thing that made me say wow to this plane is i was doing touch and goes and ran into a fire hyndrant. Without thinking i took it off again and was flying a little funny i was up about 150 feet and watched the wings come off. I figured when i got to the plane there would be nothing left. The only damage was the motor mount broke and a little foam missing where the screw that hold on the wings on. Filled the holes with hot melt glue drilled it out and good as new. Dont get me wrong the nextstar is a tough plane also but my point on this is a wood plane would have been badly damaged compared to this. I see that you are in Malden Mass I am in Lowell. I also see that you have goten that wonderful greating from the local flying clubs. I gave up on them a long time ago a lot of them are run by people who are doing nothing good for the hobby but driving away the newbeis in the hobby. I also got tired of them saying " take that toy home with you". I fly with my brother now and if he gets a chance he will post some vids. I am going to fly for the first time tommorow my easystar.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:15 PM
deathsprial

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want to connect with a great bunch of guys (not to say there isnt any in here) go to THE BADIUS OWNERS CLUB on here they all started out as we have and will answer any question that may arise and a freindly bunch also. They all rember where they all started from. Just look at the number of pages 700 plus.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
roltech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: deathsprial

Hey Pete I may be late with this post but here goes. I have both the Nextstar and the Magister both have been converted to electric motors. I like the Nextstar for it looks but for durabulity there is no beating the Magister. I have hit anything that you could you could think of. I have had this plane for about 2 years but the one thing that made me say wow to this plane is i was doing touch and goes and ran into a fire hyndrant. Without thinking i took it off again and was flying a little funny i was up about 150 feet and watched the wings come off. I figured when i got to the plane there would be nothing left. The only damage was the motor mount broke and a little foam missing where the screw that hold on the wings on. Filled the holes with hot melt glue drilled it out and good as new. Dont get me wrong the nextstar is a tough plane also but my point on this is a wood plane would have been badly damaged compared to this. I see that you are in Malden Mass I am in Lowell. I also see that you have goten that wonderful greating from the local flying clubs. I gave up on them a long time ago a lot of them are run by people who are doing nothing good for the hobby but driving away the newbeis in the hobby. I also got tired of them saying " take that toy home with you". I fly with my brother now and if he gets a chance he will post some vids. I am going to fly for the first time tommorow my easystar.

He means the Nexstar or Avistar Don't know where this Magister was mentioned???

roltech
Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 PM
deathsprial

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look at the name of the forum.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 PM
roltech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your right I see it now ! "Duh" I never heard of Magister who make that?

roltech
Old 10-13-2006, 07:23 AM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: roltech

Your right I see it now ! "Duh" I never heard of Magister who make that?

roltech
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGZV3&P=ML
Old 10-13-2006, 08:12 PM
roltech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice looking plane.