Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How much do you spend on model airplanes?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
$0 - $200 / year
1.56%
$200 - $400 / year
12.50%
$400 - $600 / year
8.33%
$600 - $800 / year
8.33%
$800 - $1000 / year
13.54%
$1000 - $1200 / year
11.98%
$1200 - $1400 / year
5.73%
$1400 - $1600 / year
5.21%
$1600 - $2000 / year
6.25%
Over $2000 / year
26.56%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

How much do you spend on model airplanes?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:03 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much do you spend on model airplanes?

Hmm, in the early 90s, when my parents were buying all my gear, I was probably spending around $1.5k-2k a year. I got back into the hobby/sport in March of this year (2006), and since then I've spent at least $3,000.00. I am pretty sure it is more but I'm afraid to go back and look, because I don't know exactly where most of it ended up! That figure is about to go down an awful lot, methinks.

I was a car salesman (Toyota mostly) and was bringing in about $50k a year in an area where 1200sq. ft. apartments in the nice parts of town were only $450 a month. My wife was making about $34k a year as a manager at Walgreen's. I quit, because I fawking hate selling **** (even though I'm really good at it) and I especially hated 55-60 hour work weeks. I've already got a couple of degrees anyway so I need to use them. I'm back in school again, taking some prerequisites for med school, but I don't think I want to do that so I'm just going to get my MA and Ph.D. and be done with it. My wife quit her job too, and she'll be starting law school in the fall of 2008 (I'm 27, she's 21). Right now I wait on tables and she bartends. This is why my spending has gone down to practically nothing. However, once our incomes go up, so will my spending. I have my airplanes, she has her makeup. Let me tell you something about make up - it's almost as expensive as airplanes. It's nothing to drop $500 on a single order of makeup for her.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Reading this thread, I have a question. What, in your opinions, would be the minimum income requirement to be involved in R/C modeling? I spent over $800.00 just learning how to fly an R/C plane, having purchased the trainer, the insurance, the tools, and the supplies. I currently have a kit that's half built, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it since the cost of electronics, adhesives, and covering materials are probably beyond my budget. I'm thinking about selling out because I'm not sure if I should continue, since my income is fixed and I'm on disability. It was fun last summer, though, but now I have a lot of major repairs to make on my bank account and credit. Some may want to joke about buying more planes and spending more money, but I'm serious and don't want this to drive me into bankruptcy. So, is there any input? My own gut feeling is that a person would need at least a $40,000.00 per year income just to be able to afford .40 and .60 sized planes and still be able to pay the bills. Would that be a good estimate?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-09-2006, 02:32 PM
RVM

Depends on where you live and your spending habits. I'd imagine someone on $16k a year could fly .60 size planes and still pay their bills, so long as they were really careful and didn't live in an expensive part of the country.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:06 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RVM

Depends on where you live and your spending habits. I'd imagine someone on $16k a year could fly .60 size planes and still pay their bills, so long as they were really careful and didn't live in an expensive part of the country.
I don't find this statement very realistic, sorry. At 16K you are barely scraping by on housing/utilities as far as I can see. And most of us like to eat every few days. I can't put a minimum amount on this really but 16K is IMO rediculous.

Everyone needs a place or thing to vent (hobby) but RC is far from cheap. Expenses can be held down but never cheap IMO. Small electrics may be the cheapest way to go but MAY be the least fun to some. Even these take an initial investment though.

NorfolkSouthern - I do wish you success in rebuilding your finances. I've struggled with that in the past too. NOT any fun.[:@]
Old 11-09-2006, 03:20 PM
RVM

Sure you can. Around here you can get a nice 1 bedroom apartment for about $300-$400 a month. Let's say an inexpensive lease on something like a Corolla - $250 a month + $400 every 6 months for insurance, or you could get into an older used car for $150-$200 amonth, and $250-$300 every 6 months on insurance. Utilities in this tiny apartment might be about $75 a month. Food = $250 a month, and that could be lowered. Let's say post-tax income of $13,000/year on a $16,000/year income. That gives about $1000 a month. After food and everything it is feasbile that you'd have $100-$300 that you could spend if you decided not to save anything. That's enough to get a .40 - .60 size plane into the air. You may not get everything all at once, but if you saved for a few months, or bought used stuff from people you know, then it is entirely feasible.

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

ORIGINAL: RVM

I don't find this statement very realistic, sorry. At 16K you are barely scraping by on housing/utilities as far as I can see. And most of us like to eat every few days. I can't put a minimum amount on this really but 16K is IMO rediculous.

Everyone needs a place or thing to vent (hobby) but RC is far from cheap. Expenses can be held down but never cheap IMO. Small electrics may be the cheapest way to go but MAY be the least fun to some. Even these take an initial investment though.

NorfolkSouthern - I do wish you success in rebuilding your finances. I've struggled with that in the past too. NOT any fun.[:@]
Old 11-09-2006, 04:36 PM
NorfolkSouthern

The $16,000.00 figure would not take into account any emergencies. A brake job on the car would easily wipe out 6 months of savings in that case. I think we should be a bit more realistic here. Consider the cost of gas and maintenance for the vehicle, for one thing. Then, consider the amount needed for a small cushion in the bank to handle formalities. That brake job I was talking about happened to me the first part of this month, plus I had an emergency trip that cost-ed me $100.00 for gas alone, plus food and lodging. Those types of things happen to all of us. So again, the question: What would be the minimum annual income requirement to stay in this hobby, and also pay the bills, save up for emergencies, and meet all living requirements without any discomfort?

By the way, thanks for your support, bruce88123.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-09-2006, 05:45 PM
RVM

Eh, you're right, but I was just giving a possibility.

The reality is probably $24k or better in an inexpensive place such as where I currently live. If you live in San Francisco, I would imagine upwards of $48k a year.

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

The $16,000.00 figure would not take into account any emergencies. A brake job on the car would easily wipe out 6 months of savings in that case. I think we should be a bit more realistic here. Consider the cost of gas and maintenance for the vehicle, for one thing. Then, consider the amount needed for a small cushion in the bank to handle formalities. That brake job I was talking about happened to me the first part of this month, plus I had an emergency trip that cost-ed me $100.00 for gas alone, plus food and lodging. Those types of things happen to all of us. So again, the question: What would be the minimum annual income requirement to stay in this hobby, and also pay the bills, save up for emergencies, and meet all living requirements without any discomfort?

By the way, thanks for your support, bruce88123.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you would need to have at least 200.$$ of pure disposable cash to keep things going for 1 or 2 planes.
I would estimate my most basic plane a os46 powered GIZMO at around 350.$$ and the most detailed one like my warbirds at 1200.$$ maybe a little less of course not including building time to put them together I fly between 1 to 6 times a month so I am not burning gal & gal of fuel but I am building a gas powered warbird to save in fuel costs and for something different.
norfolksouthern it depends on the type of plane you want to fly a basic sport plane like a sig something extra kit will cost you 80$then covering, glue and extra hardware wheels and stuff another 100.$ and a flight pack or 4ch radio 100$ and engine 50-115$ depending on brand 3 to 400$ .
a scale plane for instance the sky is the limit here's my latest laundry list .

top flight P-47 cockpit,drop tank,dummy radial,bubble top conversion-220$
engine-325$
retractable tail wheel and gear-270$
wheels,tank,fuel filler,remote glow igniter, misc building extras-200$ or more
paint estimate-100$

cost is relative to what you make of it if you are having fun you don't need to spend the life savings .
then in my case you spend to much of your life savings.
my point being spend what you can and keep it real and if you have grown out of a plane pull the parts that will work in the next plane that interests you.
you don't need have several planes in a ready to fly state, you only fly one at a time, I am finding I have planes I am now trying to get rid of for lack of interest or just non use buy sell and trade is also a option.
this is my GIZMO its replaced most of my fun planes because it does just about every thing I want, and if it crashes I don't need a box of tissue paper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83307.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	557285  
Old 11-09-2006, 05:57 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Norfolk- my mother still lives up there in Novi,Mich so I know your general cost of living situation. I used to live there too, many moons ago. My job with Chrysler took me to the Hamtramck assy plant a few times. It's not the most expensive place to be so I suppose if you were in a reasonable single bedroom apt you could get by with an income in the 30-40's. Mind you, I wouldn't want to but it could be done. It's really hard for us to say because we don't know enough about your personal situation and habits. What one person can thrive on another will starve on.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM
israelg48

Dude, I just spent 11,000 in the last three months
Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Flying freak

Im at about 3 000$ canadain in 4 monthes. (ya i know im new to the modling site but loven every second of it
Old 01-15-2007, 09:25 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

You know it's gettin really bad when you work part-time for the LHS asnd you do not get paid because you are working to pay off your account there.

I'm currently replacing most of my fleet. The cheapest airframe only up to yesterday was $799.00. When it's all said and done I'll spend somewhere around $10K which includes everything right down to the servo arms, extensions, etc...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I'm currently replacing most of my fleet.

You still have your Ultimate??

Ken
Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I'm currently replacing most of my fleet.

You still have your Ultimate??

Ken

You bet, but I'm considering replacing it with the H9 Ultimate sometime in early April which is about the time I'll be ready for the last plane for this year.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

What ya doing with the old one???

Ken
Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 PM
bubbagates

I'll call you in a few days. I'm outta town right now but VPN'd into my home system at the moment. I figured you would be asking me??? And you won;t even have to wait until my fingers get cold (remember that exchange a few months ago???)
Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

And you won;t even have to wait until my fingers get cold (remember that exchange a few months ago???)
It's funny that you bring that up. I was just remembering back to a few months ago when you said something sort of like that!!!

Holler at me when you get a chance

Ken
Old 01-20-2007, 12:11 AM
ArtW

I went through my expenses for RC airplanes and realize I was wrong in my estimate. I thought I spent $1600 to $2000 but it is more like $2500 to $3000 a year. When you look at the number it is important to try to compare it to other stuff. If I don't go flying what would I do to relax? Well I could restore my mental health at a psychiatrist for $250 an hour once a week for $1000 a month or $12,000 a year. I could fly General Aviation (GA) at $120 an hour to rent + $70 for the instructor + $2,000 a year for insurance + the $2,500 GPS unit +++. I went flying with a guy who owned his own plane, hanger, and airstrip. He had an ugly stick that he had crashed. I thought about the joy of flying it, he had stuffed it in a corner. After a half an hour or so of talk about his $350,000 Beech Debonair, he began talking about the turboprop he wanted to build/buy, it was only $500,000 if he built it himself. When you own a GA plane, your dream is of another GA plane. The only difference between RC and GA aircraft desire is three more zeros after everything you buy. I have another friend who owns a really nice Piper Cub, a hangar, etc. He wants to build a Zenith CH801 Stol. I priced it out, it is only $80,000 for the parts for the kit + 1,200 to 2,000 hours to build.

$2,500 a year sounds like a lot until you compare it to something else. $250,000 Cessna 172? I took my kids skiing and we spent $1,500 for equipment and tickets for two days. Now the equipment will last for many years but the lift tickets and hotel add up to hundreds a day. Oh, and we have a 4W Drive to get to the mountains. One of my friends stayed in a $5,000,000 ski cabin at Vail. RC costs something but compared to other hobbies it is cheep.

The RC aircraft I fly now cost $200. The engine $300. The radio, you get the idea. The entire cost of the plane is under $1000 and it has more than 100 flights on it. The cost per flight is less than $20. That is quite a bargain compared to GA aircraft at $200 an hour. Oh, and when I want to upgrade my plane because, well because I just want to, I don't need another mortgage.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 PM
rcs r us

hey hey your in high school im in middle school and spending about $100-600$ in this hooby its just so kwel! and beeing the only rcer in the school i have bragging rights lol!

you say..........
Trust me, I would love it too. Except I can't spend that much in high school
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 AM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Norfolk- my mother still lives up there in Novi,Mich so I know your general cost of living situation. I used to live there too, many moons ago. My job with Chrysler took me to the Hamtramck assy plant a few times. It's not the most expensive place to be so I suppose if you were in a reasonable single bedroom apt you could get by with an income in the 30-40's. Mind you, I wouldn't want to but it could be done. It's really hard for us to say because we don't know enough about your personal situation and habits. What one person can thrive on another will starve on.
The good thing, is that I learned how to fly a model aircraft. Had I decided to not spend the money, I would have never acheived that goal. But now I know what it's like, and I enjoyed it. Well, it turns out that my car required more than just brakes. I had to repair the engine and front suspension too. So, I ended up selling all the R/C equipment. Both planes, the radio, whatever fuel was left, the hardware, covering, adhesives, tools, everything. Gone. The local hobby shop was very nice about the situation, They even waived their commission and I was able to get the full amount of the sale. None the less, I consider this sell-out as being worse than losing a plane in a crash, because it will put me out of hobby, probably indefinitely. I suppose I could go back there and forgo my other expenses while plunking down $160.00 on a park flyer, but that hobby shop will probably convince me to do otherwise, and with good reason. All that spending I did last summer on R/C related stuff got me into quite a bit of trouble, and I ended up with a lot of unpaid bills. By the time the local churches got done paying them, I learned a very hard lesson: When your primary income is food stamps and public assistance and your rent is vouchered, you have absolutely no business being involved in model aviation!

NorfolkSouthern