Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Paying for Flight insrucrtion

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Paying for Flight insrucrtion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paying for Flight insrucrtion

Well,I really started something here-but I will sum it up-if you you don't want to pay for rc flight training-then dont. No problem.Thats it !

Jackjet
Old 02-04-2002, 05:30 AM
Ray Smith

Default Re: Paying for Flight insrucrtion

Originally posted by Jackjet
Well,I really started something here-but I will sum it up-if you you don't want to pay for rc flight training-then dont. No problem.Thats it !
Jackjet
I agree with your summation. I would like to add, as a summation, if you do pay for flight instruction, you should expect your instructor to show up for his/her appointment with you, you should expect your instructor to put your training as his/her number 1 priority at the flying field, you should expect your instructor to take responsibility for any damage to the trainer airplane, and you should expect to actually learn how to fly (read land) model airplanes in a reasonable amount of stick time. None of these things can be expected of the volunteer (free) flight instructor. In the end, I believe in the old saying, "You get what you pay for".

Ray Smith
Professional R/C Flight Instructor
Owner, Hobbies Aloft R/C Flight School
www.hobbiesaloft.com
Old 02-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Jackjet

Default Paying for Flight instruction

Ray,
you have said it very well. Just like BVM-you get what you pay for.

Jackjet
Old 02-07-2002, 03:54 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default Jackjet

I can understand charging someone for flight instructions if they are willing to pay. I charge to build a model and some are willing to pay for it. With all the flight simulators out there, and arfs , our school may be short lived, times are changing for both of us. As for a kid wanting to learn, no charge at my end on the flight instructions, it's free. I belong to a club that promotes RC to kids, kit's , engines and radio are supplied free as long as their willing to show up from start to finish. Their interest in flying is the only thing keeping our great hobby alive. Nintendo or RC, pretty simple to figure out.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:01 AM
Jackjet

Default Re: Jackjet

Originally posted by chook
I can understand charging someone for flight instructions if they are willing to pay. I charge to build a model and some are willing to pay for it. With all the flight simulators out there, and arfs , our school may be short lived, times are changing for both of us. As for a kid wanting to learn, no charge at my end on the flight instructions, it's free. I belong to a club that promotes RC to kids, kit's , engines and radio are supplied free as long as their willing to show up from start to finish. Their interest in flying is the only thing keeping our great hobby alive. Nintendo or RC, pretty simple to figure out.
Chook,
I would not charge a kid-I would MUCH rather see them into R/C than video games -but I will charge a adult-nothing wrong with that.

Jackjet
Old 02-07-2002, 06:04 AM
Balsageek

Default Payment for training

Okay I admit it before I write it, and bash me all you want because I AM going to make an ***** of my self!

People interested in a new hobby, like r/c flying, should NEVER be charged for training. Think about it, in most cases they've already handed in $350+ in a new plane, $48 to the AMA, and probably 50-100 bucks in club dues. In my opinion there should be no more cost in getting into this great hobby. In fact newcomers should be welcomed, not pushed away by more hands out for cash.

At our club, the training comes with the dues. We even have one night a week during the summer that is reserved for training. As instructors we see it as giving back to the hobby because most of us didn't pay to either.

Our club also keeps to the policy of what goes up must come down, and what shape it comes down in is determined only by luck. If you don't have it in you to pile drive 300 dollars into the ground, then this isn't the hobby for you. Take up bird watching, they fly too!

My rant,
Matt K.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:15 AM
Jackjet

Balsageek,
nothing wrong with what you said-if you don't feel like charging someone-then dont.But I do and will because there are people willing to pay for flight training-just like full size.This is America-free enterprize system.

Jackjet
Old 02-07-2002, 12:04 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a list for volunteer RC flight instructors on AMA's website. I also have a list on my website. There seems to be quite a lot of volunteers out there who have a problem with paid instruction, so now is their chance to help out the beginner in a big way by inundating these sites with the names, telephone numbers and email addresses.
Unfortunately, it must not be widely known that there are more than likely thousands upon thousands of newbies out there with their new ARF trainers desparately looking for someone to spend more than one day a week for flight training.

Better yet, maybe RCU should have a place where all of these volunteers could submit their names. You have to let the public know that you exist. Jackjet, do you think that this would be a good idea? BTW, how many beginners come from clubs which offers free instruction to pay you to teach them? I get on the average, 60 of these beginners each year.

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructor
Old 02-07-2002, 01:14 PM
Jackjet

Fliers1,
I am into jets so that is what I do-help them get everything right so they dont lose $3k+ on the first flight.Belive me-by the time you get to this level in the 'hobby'-you will be happy to pay for some good help.And yes,you do have a good idea.

Jackjet
Old 02-07-2002, 03:03 PM
Dugster

I thought this subject was dead and buried a week ago.

Give it a rest folks!
Old 02-07-2002, 09:38 PM
Ray Smith

Default Re: Payment for training

Originally posted by Balsageek

Our club also keeps to the policy of what goes up must come down, and what shape it comes down in is determined only by luck. If you don't have it in you to pile drive 300 dollars into the ground, then this isn't the hobby for you. Take up bird watching, they fly too!

My rant,
Matt K. [/B]
Hi Matt,

I take it from your words above that your club instructors do not take responsibility for damage caused to new members' model airplanes while they are being "helped" for "free". Do you really think that model airplanes come down unscathed simply because of luck? Doesn't piloting skill, and especially instructor capability have anything to do with it?

I submit that your club is in reality charging for the "help" they are offering new members. However, instead of charging money on an hourly basis, like pros do, your club is charging new members their dreams, their hard work in putting airplanes together, and the costs associated with repairing/replacing all their damaged equipment. With help like that, it is no wonder that so many new members to the AMA end up being 1-year only members, and leave the hobby.

Ray Smith
Professional R/C Flight Instructor
Owner, Hobbies Aloft R/C Flight School
Old 02-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Ray Smith

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dugster
[B]I thought this subject was dead and buried a week ago.

Hi Doug,

I guess there is more interest in this subject than you thought. I've noticed that most threads seem to just die from lack of comment. This subject seems to only go away when the moderator (or whoever is in charge and has the technical capability to do it) decides that people shouldn't talk about it (or read about it) and he pulls the plug (or locks the thread, or whatever he does). Perhaps he will do it again now. I, for one still think it is an interesting topic, and is pertinant to the "Beginners" forum.

Ray Smith
Old 02-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray;
Common haven't we beat this to death yet? Your for Paid Instructors! Since you have a business thats understood. I'm Not!

Me personally! I teach people on my own aircraft, this way there is no heart break as to who's responsibility it is to repair if such and accident occur's. Sure it's nerve racking to watch someone, especially a beginner solo on your aircraft. But do I have confidence in my ability as an instructor? Of Course or I wouldn't do it that way. Now once solo'd I check there creation out to see whether or not it's air worthy, take it up test fly it and stand by the student if in fact he needs help with his first flight on his own aircraft. Very few times have I reached over and corrected their control inputs.

Lets let this rest it will never come to and end.

Have Fun
AMA 6518
Old 02-07-2002, 10:25 PM
Balsageek

Default Ray, your full of it!

Oh noooO!!! Ray, your biased tendancies towards paid flight instruciont have obvuiosly corrupted your intrepretation of my words

Actually in the past 5 years of teaching people to fly rc there have only been two major crashes at our field with trainee's on the box. And the students didn't care! they just said oh well... That's part of it, isn't it? They both got another arf, transferred his gear and were flying within the next week! So in fact models don't come down unscathed because of luck, it is due to the pro's who aren't greedy and don't care about $$$$. And yes there have been other minor dents and dings that come with a trainer's hard landings. We just make sure that the student understands that it is all part of the game. So indeed piloting skill has something to do with it, and if fact the student's don't pay for it in the long run in new airplanes and parts. 90% of the people that I've trained have actually stuck around (you know there are some who get in to it and don't like it, or start family's, you know the list goes on)

Matt
Old 02-08-2002, 01:42 AM
Jackjet

Ok-Everyone listen up-I will say this one more time-IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR R/C FLIGHT TRAINING_THEN DONT PAY FOR IT ! What part of this do you not understand ?This IS AMERICA-NOT russia-we DO have a free enterprize system here.NOW quit tripping and start flying-ok ?-good.

Jackjet
Old 02-08-2002, 02:52 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray and Jackjet have good points... but they've all been expressed many times in this and the first thread. Everyone else also have good points, which was well spoken in this and the first thread.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread as well as the other one, but we seem to be going in circles here. We'll leave these two threads around so beginners will be able to reference them in the future, but I don't see this thread headed anywhere productive, so it's time to close it.