Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner Build, Sig Somethin Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner Build, Sig Somethin Extra

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:05 PM
mikeyt1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Build, Sig Somethin Extra

I've been reading up on the Forum, and thought the Sig SSE may be a good beginner build. So, I convinced my better half, to let me have Christmas a little early I got started yesterday, I'll start putting some pics up as soon as I can. I hope I can get some tips and support from you pro's.

Steps I've completed so far.

Wing Spare prep'd and pin'd
Aleron servo tray prep
Glue'd ribs to bottom spar
Glue'd trailing edge stock to wing ribs
Glued'd leading edge to wing ribs

This gets me up to step 6.

MikeT
Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Beginner Build, Sig Somethin Extra

Its a great plane and easy to build. Make sure you put a tank hatch on top of the fuse. It makes things a lot easier down the road.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are an advanced pilot, but a beginner builder, you can easily kit bash this plane by increasing the rudder size/counter-balances and the elevator too. I also made my wings bolt on with short 1/4" nylon bolts into a blind nut, since I increased the ailerons also. It would roll and spin so fast, you could hardly stay ahead of it. I used an OS FX.46 with a Tower muffler on mine with an APC 12X4 prop. Vertical performance was unlimited.

I have also seen some pretty good electric conversions to this great little airplane. Make sure you cover it in easy to see and distinquish colors, if your eyes aren't very good.

You should really enjoy this plane.

Good Luck,
Mike Boyd
AMA 7197
Old 11-15-2006, 12:02 AM
mikeyt1

I got thru step 7 today. The shear webs didn't turn out too great on this wing. Hopefully I'll do better on the next wing.

I hope I can get to sheeting tomorrow...

MikeT
Old 11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
mikeyt1

Ran into a problem today. I tried to do the top leading edge sheeting. I broke the sheeting trying to press it down on the ribs.
Should I use a paper towel and wet the sheeting to make it bend easier?
Do you guys cut the sheeting in place over the top spar? Or before you put it down?

My second attempt was better, but I got another crack. Not sure if this is normal, or if I should try again?

Tks

MikeT
Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 PM
hogflyer

mikeyt1,

When I put LE sheeting down, I'll wet it good, then pin or clamp it in place until dry - this will help it form to the curved LE shape. Then I glue it on with carpenters glue, not CA, using a lot of T-pins and cloths pins. Dry wood is easy to split when bending around a wing leading edge.

Where you planning on using this plane as your first trainer, or do you have some experience as this is not a trainer. Just hate to see you go to a lot of work and trash a new plane that is beyond your flying capabilities if you're just starting out.

Hogflyer
Old 11-15-2006, 11:35 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I normally glue the sheeting to the LE first. You can use CA for this but it might be difficult to sand later. If you are willing to be a little more patient, use regular wood glue or something like Sigbond. After the sheeting is secured to the LE, I use a long straight edge to slowly and evenly pull the sheeting down against the ribs and spar. If it is difficult and feels like it may crack, wet it with a little water or window cleaner. I usually apply thick CA to the tops of the ribs and spar then hold the sheeting in place with the straight edge until it cures. You have to be careful with the CA though because you could end up with the sheeting not stuck down properly (I know from a bad experience or two).
Old 11-16-2006, 08:38 AM
mikeyt1

Hogflyer,

I think I'll take the sheeting off, and do it again then.

No, this is not my first plane.

I've been flying for about a year now. I went from my trainer, to spads, then I bought a used Cap 232.

Now I want to do some kit building. I'm sure once I've done it a couple of times, and with you guys help,
I'll be ok. I'm not afraid to say, there is a lot about kit building I don't know. I have been reading a lot
on the forum, but the information is scattered, and the search engine doesn't always pull up what I'm looking
for.

Will Tight Bond II work ok?

Thanks for the help.

MikeT
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

mikeyt1,
Heck, don't worry about it all. I've been building for 9 years or so and there are still TONS that I don't know!!!

As to your question, Titebond II is an excellent glue to use when building. Any statements like this are going to kick off the flood of CA vs. Wood Glue posts, but in the long run you will need to use what you are comfortable with. When I started building I was using CA to build with, and about 4 years ago I switched to using Elmer's Carpenter's Glue. I feel that my building quality has improved after I switched to using CA. The biggest reasons for that are that I have longer to get the parts properly set before the glue dries, CA in wood makes a hard knot that's not sandable, I don't have to deal with the CA fumes, and CA is a lot more expensive. I do keep a small bottle of CA around to harden threads cut in wood, attach CA hinges, or a couple other misc. tasks.

The fumes that come from CA are big issue in my opinion. I've talked to several doctors and chemists and they all tell me that it really isn't an "allergy" to CA fumes that people have, but rather it's a reaction to it. CA fumes react with moisture so everybody has a reaction of some sort when they get the fumes inside their body. Some have reactions that are worse than others, but almost everybody's reactions will become worse over repeated exposure. This is one huge reason why I switched to using wood glue instead of CA.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. I've built 3 of the Something Extras and they are a great building kit.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 AM
mikeyt1

ChuckW,

I was using CA. Mainly because that is what the instructions said to use.

I did see in the forums that some folks were using wood glue.

I did CA the leading edge first, then I used a straight edge to help bring everything down,
but I think the wood may be too dry to bend that much. I'm in Salt Lake City, and it is
getting pretty dry out here now.

I think I'll try to form the sheeting first, making sure it is wet and won't crack, then when it dries to shape,
I'll glue it into place.

The will be my third attempt, so third times the charm? I hope so.

Thanks for the help.

MikeT
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

Ditto, accept I use Tightbond II.

Bob
Old 11-16-2006, 03:28 PM
ChuckW

The shelf above my bench looks like the glue isle at the hobby shop. I've got every type of CA imagineable, regular wood glue, white glue, epoxy, Sigbond etc. They all serve a purpose. Experiment a little and figure out what works best for you on a particular application.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:33 PM
ChuckW

There's one other trick that I've tried on sheeting. Determine everywhere the glue needs to be and apply a thin layer of white glue to those areas. Let the white glue fully dry then use your covering iron to iron the sheeting down. The heat melts the glue. I've only done it once but the results were good. My only concern was the strength of the white glue. Maybe someone else has tried this or has some input.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:57 PM
mikeyt1

I pulled up the sheeting, and put it back down using Titebond II. I scraped/sanded off as much CA as I could from the previous attempt.

The sheeting was really easy to pull up, I thought it was going to be a lot harder...

I've pinned the sheeting down, and put some books on it to help while it dries. Now it is wait and see time...

MikeT
Old 11-17-2006, 12:28 PM
mikeyt1

The sheeting is glued down, with no cracks. But, there are waves along the front edge. Any gaps, I can fill in with light weight filler, but what about the waves? Now that I have some practice, I think I can do the next wing better...

MikeT
Old 11-18-2006, 06:55 PM
mikeyt1

Here are some pics, showing my progress.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39507.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	562631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85546.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	562632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36170.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	562633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90610.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	562634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63043.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	562635  
Old 11-19-2006, 09:47 AM
bruce88123

Try to use the weight bags on the leading edge too. They distribute the pressure more evenly. If you need extra pressure, put the phone books on top of them. MIGHT help with the waves.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 AM
mikeyt1

I just got those weighted bags. I got my wife so sew the bags, and I filled them with #8 shot. I've just started using them.
They are coming in handy.

I have improved dramatically, since I switched to Titebond II. I have a lot more time, to get the piece set correctly, and do the pinning/weighting down. The bottom, leading edge sheeting went pretty well. I shaped it to fit first. After I was satisfied with the fit, I glued it down. This time, it came out nice. I am using a medicine bottle syringe (The kind you get from a pediatrician) to put out the glue. This make it a lot easier to get a nice glue line without too much excess glue squeezing out.

I appreciate all the tips, they have helped me a lot. I am doing a lot better now, and I have a lot more confidence.

I am definately sold on the use of wood glue.

MikeT
Old 11-19-2006, 09:58 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

I have built two of these and still want to build another. This is a very fun plane to fly/build it is hard not to build correctly if you follow the directions and think things through. I would recomend a fuel hatch on this and all planes that one can be built for because at some point you will need to get to your fuel tank. This planes like power too, you can use anything from a good 46 to a 90 on the nose and it will fly good. If you are a beginner use the 46 if you can handle more use the Tower 75.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:11 AM
mikeyt1

I'm already thinking of doing another... HAHA. Haven't even finished the first one yet.
But I'm taking notes, and I know I can do a much better job, on the next one. I can
already see improvements in my build so far...

I've been thinking of some mods.

1. Strengthen the Firewall.
2. Different Landing Gear, I want more clearance.
3. Different Tail wheel.
4. Larger Rudder. Is it hard to do, and how do I go about it?
5. Sheeting the Turtle deck. I'm looking for info on how to do this as well.
6. Tinting the Canopy.

My initial Engine will be a Super Tigre 45. I have one laying around not being used.
I have on my Trainer, and I know they have tons of power. This should be a lighter
plane than my trainer, so I should not have any power problems.
I figure I'll try it and see. I'm looking forward to putting a Saito 72/82 in someday.
Right now, it is in my Cap. I really like the Saito, maybe I can save up, beg, and plead, and
get another... If I had the money, I would put Saito engines in all my planes.

Oh, almost forgot the update. RH wing 98% done, needs sanding, and J hook install.
I'll start the LH wing tomorrow.

My wife has been watching the build progress, and I've been
getting here involved, asking her to sew the weight bags, etc... I have also asked her
about dying the canopy, I know nothing about dying things, and she dyes her hair
all the time, HAHA, anyway, I think I may have found a great strategy by getting
her involved in my project. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the tips, and support, keep em coming.

MikeT

Old 11-20-2006, 12:32 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: mikeyt1

I've been thinking of some mods
2. Different Landing Gear, I want more clearance.
Look at TNT landing gear. I installed this on my latest SSE. It provides more prop clearance, is much stronger than stock and, in my opinion, makes the plane easier to land. http://www.tntlandinggear.com/

4. Larger Rudder. Is it hard to do, and how do I go about it?
Just add more 1/4' balsa. You can add it directly to the TE, or in the middle of the rudder. Just make sure you give it some thought and don't somehow degrade the strength of the rudder.

5. Sheeting the Turtle deck. I'm looking for info on how to do this as well.
I did this on my latest one as well. Basically it's just a matter of adjusting the dimesions of the formers and/or recessing the stringers to compensate for the sheeting thickness. On my 4*, I cut off the tops of the formers then made new ones using just a single stringer on the top. I then put small balsa backing strips along the top of the fuselage side; these allowed me to glue the sheeting flush with the fuse sides. Look around the kit building forum, you'll find a few examples.

6. Tinting the Canopy.
I tried hot Rit dye on my SSE but couldn't get it to work. Some canopy materials just won't do it. On my 4*, I just spray painted the inside of the canopy with flat black.

My initial Engine will be a Super Tigre 45. I have one laying around not being used.
I have an ST-45 on my SSE with a Macs muffler. It is getting broken in well and, after some tuning, it runs excellent. The plane screams. I've gotten a lot of positive comments on the plane/engine combination.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:27 PM
mikeyt1

[] I just realized a mistake.
I didn't make the corner fillets for the sheeting.
Is that a structural problem, or just a cosmetic?

MikeT
Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 PM
super tigre

The corner fillets are just cosmetic
Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
mikeyt1

I have the wings ready for sanding and filler. I'm finishing the ailerons, need to get some 1/8 triangle stock to finish those up.
And, I'll get started on the elevator/rudder.

MikeT
Old 11-26-2006, 08:25 AM
yel914

Hey Mike, make sure you look in the kit building forum for more info on the SSE. This is a frequently built plane. Good luck on the build.