Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

LT-40 Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

LT-40 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 09:17 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-40 Questions

I have some questions for you LT-40 guys out there.

1) SHould I reinforece the tail? I have heard it is quite weak, I just built the tail last night, so I have time to add any reinforcement if I need to

2) Should I switch out the hinges and go with something other than the CA hinges?

3) I don't see in the manual to balance the wings prior to covering, should I do this? The manual only seems to talk about balancing the whole plane.

4) What kind of paint can I use on the outside for like the windshield?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:41 PM
cwat212

Default LT-40 Questions

1. I did not add anything to the tail. I built it as per the plans. Some add triangle stock to the tail after assembly for added strength.
2. CA hinges work great. No need to change.
3. Balance the plane after it is completely finished with everything installed. (fuel tank empty)
Balance at the spars for CG and then balance laterally by holding the plane up by the nose and tail.
4. I used the supplied decals for the windshield.

Hope this helps.

These are my opinions and others will have their own. I built the plane as the directions specified. The plane is solid and flies well.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:43 PM
Lowlevldevl
My Feedback: (1)

Default LT-40 Questions

Well, I cant say much about the tail feathers, the ones on my LT-40 ARF have held up great so far. I just made sure I epoxied them really well, and have had no problems to date. As far as hinges go, if you want a really sweet control surface setup, with minimal gap, go with the Robarts. The CA hinges are adequate, but will eventually wear out. Might as well install good ones now, rather than have to cut them later. I dont think that lateral balancing on this aircraft will give any noticable improvement to flight characteristics, but I could be wrong. I havent laterally balanced mine, and it flies perfect. CG was right on the money when I finished building it.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LT-40 Questions

Are you going to fly the wing without the body? No? Then you don't need to balance it without the body. Think about it, the body is going to be heavy on the muffler (right) side. If you check your wing and add weight to the right side, then you put it together you'll find that you added weight that you have to counter act for on the left side now. So as you can see, balancing a wing without the body makes no sense.

And I would say to use the CA hinges, but read this first:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...ew&reviewid=55

Old 02-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Small Fry

Default LT-40 Questions

Whoa, MinnFlyer, good thing you put that in your post! I am using the kit hinges, and the did me WORLDS of good! Thanks!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:17 AM
handysmurf

Default LT-40 Questions

If you have an instructor to help you, I would go with the PT40 as well. I've had both planes but flies completely different! The Kadet is very stable, and IMO the most stable trainer out there, and its built like a tank. My PT40 is a blast to fly as fare as trainers goes. For a trainer it does a great job at roll and loops and feels very light in the air compare to the sig Kadet, and handles great at slow speed (for landing). Its really up to you. Both planes are well made but just don't expect too much out of kadet when it comes to having some fun once you have the grasp for basic flying. Hopes this helps
Old 02-04-2003, 05:00 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Default LT-40 Questions

Great article on installing the CA hinges. I am going to cover prior to install, I think it would look better and make the job easier. Thanks for the help...