Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

In the market for a Dremel?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

In the market for a Dremel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market for a Dremel?

I've noticed that Lowes has a special value price on the Dremel 2850-02. Just under $30 in my area. If you're in the market, this is a pretty good price.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: In the market for a Dremel?

Weasel Keeper,
Not to lessen what you are trying to say, but my advice would be to spend the extra money and get a Dremel with variable speed control. The model you pointed out is only a two speed model. I've found that being able to adjust the speed makes all the difference in the world when working with a Dremel. Using a two speed Dremel users may find that they can't slow it down enough to work well in balsa wood.

Ken
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Weasel Keeper

Ken,

I just picked one up to replace my 285 type 1 (can't get parts for it). Very cheap replacement. I find the 285 works pretty well with the 2 speeds available. I also like to have a couple of roto tools handy for various jigged operations so I don't have to re-adjust so often.

This option might mean the difference between having a Dremel or not having one for a Noob or adding to an existing arsenal for others.

PS.

You're right though. Variable speed is nice to have.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 AM
mtmad

Ive had my dremel 10 plus years and before i got my variable speed had a two speed and the variable when using certian bits is far superior to the two speed when working in different materials,diffrent bits different speeds,different materials require different bits and speeds. i have router attachment and a flex shaft and the dremel is a good tool for any hobby and pays for its self many times over.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Weasel Keeper

.....This option might mean the difference between having a Dremel or not having one for a Noob or adding to an existing arsenal for others....
Absolutely, I totally agree here. I only pointed it so that others will learn from our past experiences. Honestly, I imagine a good portion of us have gone out purchased "the cheapest model" of something only to find out later that it doesn't really work as well as they thought it would, and then wind up wishing they had waited to get the better models. I point this out because a lot of times when working with balsa you want to be able to slow down the tool to be able to better work.

In my honest opinion I feel that you can't have too many rotary tools. I have 5 of them!!! I keep several set up for different things. One I have set up with the router attachment, and another on the router table, and a last per-set one has a wood cutting blade on it. The other two I keep with a quick set chuck so I can change the tools quickly. One of the ones I use the quick chuck on is the Dremel 10.8 volt Lithium Ion cordless tool. If people can afford this model I highly recommend it. The battery gives the tool enough "ommph" to get through tough jobs, plus it gives it great run times. I usually only charge the tool once a month or so. The last tool I have quick chucked is a regular old corded tool, but it gets tons of use too!!!

Ken
Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Weasel Keeper

Ken,

Have you tried the Dremel Stylus yet? I saw one in action at a traveling demo at HD the other day. It seemed quite powerful for a cordless.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:28 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ken,

Have you tried the Dremel Stylus yet? I saw one in action at a traveling demo at HD the other day. It seemed quite powerful for a cordless.
I saw one a while back when my wife and I were wandering around Lowe's. It looks really interesting. It felt good in my hands, but I haven't had the chance to work with one yet. One thing though does get my hackles up, and this seems to be a habit that Dremel has. They are constantly changing models and amazingly the attachments from older models never seem to fit newer models!! Arrrrggghhhhhh

Ken
Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Weasel Keeper

That kinda tics me off too. My oldest Dremel claims to be part of the Emerson Corportation. I think now they are under the guidance of Bosch. Maybe it has something to do with managment changes. Of course, if the tool lasts too long, you have to come up with a marketing scheme to sell more product.

I also have a B&D RTX (variable speed). That's a nice tool, but not many attachments that fit without modification.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:51 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And you can find bargains on EBAY for Dremel tools. I picked up a scroll saw there for $10 + ship a couple of years ago and it's still going fine. Here's one 230061377052 that's only a buck so far. Condition unknown but there are bargains to be had if you are careful.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM
NCIS

Get the variable speed dremel and you will be surprised at how well you can do accurate cutouts. I usually have mine set at the slowest speed so as to be accurate. I only use high speed to get close and for grinding or using a cutting wheel. Spend a little more, you will be much happier.

Gibbs
Old 12-05-2006, 03:14 PM
carrellh

I also have a B&D RTX (variable speed). That's a nice tool, but not many attachments that fit without modification.
I got the Black & Decker RTX when it came out. My brother has a Dremel with flex shaft. We tried to put the flex shaft on the RTX but it doesn’t work. B&D introduced a model of RTX with flex shaft and my brother got it for me for Christmas a few years ago. I like it even better than the original. I use both tools; I like the one with flex shaft better than the original.

It will not work with Dremel bolt-on accessories (router, drill press, etc); but all of the bits fit it, and it does what I need at this time.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

I got the Dremel multipro model 770..2 speed rechargable...the battery sucks in mine, it runs for maybe 15 minutes and then needs about 10 hours of charging if I charge it and it sits for a few days its dead again......always been like that...next one I get will have a cord!!...Rog
Old 12-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Dzlstunter

I have an ancient single-speed Dremel, but bought a speed control for about $10 from Harbor Freight which has made it (and other tools) into variable speed tools. When I first got it, I worried that I might burn up "old faithful" but so far (3 years) it soldiers on. Good luck, Dzl
Old 12-07-2006, 12:58 PM
scratchonly

I wired in a light dimmer switch to my first dremel. Worked fine for many years. The sdimmer was outside the tool, taped to the cord.