Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

phoenix decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

phoenix decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: phoenix decathlon

I'd like to chime in here to give a bit of perspective on this particular maiden thread.

First of all, Ben is an extremely smart and talented young man. He is well mannered (I relate that to good upbringing), and very safety minded. I consider it an honor to call him a friend and fellow RC flyer.

Now with that said, I would like to relate to my fellow RCU readers the special circumstances behind this maiden. I have been fortunate to have been witness to Ben's extraordinary growth in RC flight. He literaly lept into the sky with his first plane and progressed quickly from a high wing trainer to a low wing sport model. It comes as no surprise to me that he has now taken the next step in the progressive life of the RC pilot. He has maidened his own airplane, conducting trim maintainance, pre and post flight checkups on a new plane, and more importantly, successfully taken on the resonsiblity of the unknown issues surrounding a new airplane. I congratulate Ben on this accomplishment and look forward to seeing him continue to grow in our chosen hobby.

I would like to offer a special " ATTABOY" to Ben for his first successful maiden flight, and another "ATTABOY" to ABELL for his encouragment and support of a promising young flier. Keep up the good work guys and Good Flying!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
swmarkham

Great news on the maiden!Sounds like you really have it together.Hoping to purchace a decathlon soon.I am 53 and my son is 27.Hope we can become flying pals also.Take Care! Steve
Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Primodus

Steve, Have you given thought to what you will use for power?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:49 PM
ABELL

Thanks Luke you've been an encouragement and mentor to Ben and I both. Ben says thanks too. Now we got to get together soon andspend some time on the sticks
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
ABELL

Thanks Luke you've been an encouragement and mentor to Ben and I both. Ben says thanks too. Now we got to get together soon and spend some time on the sticks
Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Primodus

I am working like mad on the Cub to get it airworthy. [8D]
Old 01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
swmarkham

I was thinking about using a .46 Thunder Tiger.A friend I fly with has one on a Bi Plane and it seems to have plenty of power and is one of the smoothest engines I've heard.Do you think it would be a good choice?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Primodus

I think ABELL will certainly chime in on this question for ya...the TT.46 Pro is what powers Ben's plane also.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Fastsky

The TTPro or the OS AX or FX engines are all very good choices. It makes our instructors happy to see them on new flyers planes, makes our job a lot easier and the new flyer gets more flight time. Other engines not so much, and there are 2 brands that we curse at. [>:]
Old 01-13-2007, 01:12 PM
swmarkham

Thanks for the info.I hope to buy the kit soon and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
ABELL

Do the struts on the decathlon have any structural support?
Old 01-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Fastsky

They are mostly for show. If you don't want to be bothered with them you don't need to. I have never had mine on. [8D]
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Primodus

Well, it's done. All this talk, and the sight of Ben's Decathlon in a knife edge did me in. I'll have to clean the shop again, can't have clutter fowling up the build. That's right, I have a Phoenix Decathlon on the way again. It will truly be reborn in my fleet!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 PM
ABELL

I kinda expected it after seeing that drool running out of the corner of your mouth down onto your shirt while you were looking at Ben's Have you done anything with the Cub yet?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
swmarkham

Great news! I've only flown trainers and the Phoenix Dolphin which is my first plane.The Decathlon will be the first plane I will built myself so let me know how it goes and any insight will be appreciated! Thanks,Steve
Old 01-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Primodus

Steve, I will be happy to keep you up to speed on the build. It should go together quickly. The hardware is pretty good stuff.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

You may be correct on the struts having no structural merit but....they make this incredible whistle when you rip by with the plane!!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
T28RON
My Feedback: (32)

I have a Bellanca Decathlon with a WS of 106". wing area is 1583.5". No plans. Havent got the total weight because am trying to figure out what engine to put in it. Needs fuel tank and batteries. This plane was a Bob Hollman plan and built by Don belford who is supposed to be an article writer for Flying Models. I have tried to make contact with both Don B. and Bob H. but no responce. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the proper size engine for this? Tks

Ron
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Primodus

26cc gas?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
spahrman5

Hey guys, i just got mine today. Looks great, im going to start building it tonight. I ordered a Super Tiger 51 from tower and they sent me a Super tiger 75 by accident. Is this engine just too big for this plane? I dont want this plane to have uncontrollable power or be really nose heavy. What do you guys think?

Justin
Old 01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Primodus

WOOHOO! I just got mine today also! Hope to start on it by the w/e. I will power mine with a TT46Pro.

sparhman5 - I think the .75 may be a bit much for this one on both counts mentioned. Too much motor and way to heavy up front. You would probably end up moving the servos and everything else to the tail or adding much lead to balance.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM
ABELL

The TTPro 46 weighs in at 17 oz with muffler while the Super Tigre weighs in at 27 oz w/muffler. The TTPro 46 pulls the plane just fine. It took 1 1/4 oz of lead on tail to balance with rx and battery as far back as I could get them without cutting cover to have access to tie them down. IMHO the .75 engine would be over kill but then I don't tend to over power my planes much, just the upper end of recommended range.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:14 PM
spahrman5

Primodus, Im calling Tower Hobbies tonight and getting the engine I ordered. I agree, it seems this engine is just too big for this plane. Thanks for the quick response.

Justin
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: T28RON

I have a Bellanca Decathlon with a WS of 106". wing area is 1583.5". No plans. Havent got the total weight because am trying to figure out what engine to put in it. Needs fuel tank and batteries. This plane was a Bob Hollman plan and built by Don belford who is supposed to be an article writer for Flying Models. I have tried to make contact with both Don B. and Bob H. but no responce. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the proper size engine for this? Tks

Ron
I built the Dynaflite Decathlon, at 89" WS, 16.5 lbs, powered with a G38, 18X8 prop. This is a good flying combination. I was limited to an 18" prop due to the length of the landing gear. You will probably want at least a 20" prop. I would guess a G38 would be at the lower end of power for your plane, depending on the all up weight. This might give you an idea as a starting point.

Good luck with your Decath.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:10 AM
swmarkham

Just ordered the dechlon today.Also the tt 46.This will be my first build. Wish me luck.Stay in touch and input from anyone would be welcomed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.