Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking at a PT-20 for first plane

Old 01-23-2007, 05:46 PM
mike20xdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking at a PT-20 for first plane

I have read quite alot on here and was thinking on building the Great Planes PT-20 for a trainer. Now I'm not new to RC I have a .21 OB tunnel and I'm building a airboat at this time. I know that most people agree with going to the 40 sized trainer but there is only a 7 1/4" diffrence in wing and I was planing on moving the motor to a Great Planes 20 sized Cub and it has a 61.2" wing. I guess what I'm asking is this going to be a bad choice with the 20. I do have a 24cc gaser that I'm going to build a airboat for but will likt to put it in a plane doun the road I realy like the war birds with would likely be my third plane should I make the jump into planes.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:59 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Looking at a PT-20 for first plane

I built a PT-60, anbd know two people who built the 40. I think the 20 would be a good choice since you want to be able to transfer gear to another 20 size plane. Another possibility would be the SIG LT-25. It is the same size as many 40 size trainers but is very light.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
mike20xdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was wondering if I get this kit should I lock down the ailerons like the manual says for 3 channel witch will be a little easer to learn with out? I would step up to the 40 size if they still had the Old Timer I like that plane.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike I just completed a PT-40 a few months ago and it is a great flyer. I used the ailerons because that is what I was instructed on.
I powered it witha .40 and it is a quick plane with the capabilty for basic aerobatics. The build is very easy and straight forward.
I built mine with the bolt on wings and reduced my dihedral to 3 inches. The manual for the pt-40 and the pt-20 is the same so I am guessing it is just a scaled down pt-40.

If you are building the plane with ailerons you might as well use them as you progress to more advanced planes you will need them, I personally think flying is easier with ailerons. I have flown my PT with rudder only and it is a bear for me.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:50 AM
pt40crasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I loved my PT-40. If I build another one I'll probably build the wing flat. It is a quick trainer with a 40LA and a ***** to fly in the wind. Extremely durable airplane. I would not consider flying it without ailerons.
RIP

Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 AM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't overlook the Sig Seniorita .15-.25 Ailerons would have to be modified to the plane though.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFF90&P=7

Old 01-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't necessarily agree that a .40-size plane is the best trainer. Many people are a little scared of a big, powerful plane like that. It also takes more room to fly.

The GP PT-20 is a great little trainer. IF you have the building skills, cut the dihedral in half and add strip ailerons. If not, fly it with the rudder only. It will fly great either way.

Dr.1
Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 AM
mike20xdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The plane builds with ailerons but there is a section in there on locking them down if you want 3 channel operation. So you say just learn to fly on 4 channels.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, I'd forgotten it came with ailerons. Cool.

Dr.1
Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Having the ailerons would be a good thing. If you want to fly without them, all you have to do is disconnect the servo linkage and tape them flat to trailing edge of the wing. Learning to fly with ailerons is probably easier because the plane is more responsive. Trying to suggest where a 3-channel plane should go is more challenging, IMHO, than telling a 4-channel plane where to go.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trying to suggest where a 3-channel plane should go is more challenging, IMHO, than telling a 4-channel plane where to go.

Not if it's properly set up. The amount of dihedral makes a lot of difference in the handling with rudder or ailerons. More dihedral makes the rudder more effective and the ailerons less effective. That's why a lot of aileron trainers wallow and have adverse yaw in turns. I usually recommend a builder take half the dihedral out of an aileron trainer. They fly MUCH better that way. Rudder only with too much dihedral won't work, either. The rudder is TOO sensitive then. It will bank too much in the turn and force the beginner to input opposite rudder to correct.

Dr.1

PS All this is null and void in the case of my Dr.1. It has three perfectly flat wings and the rudder will make it turn on a dime. Go figure.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:12 PM
jrcaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike, do a little catalog shopping before you make your decision on .20 size trainer or .40 size trainer. If the next kit you want to build is .20 size, then go for it. Just dont try to use the engine out of your boats. Most of the boat engines are water cooled and will not hold up in a plane. For the most part .20 sized kits and engines are close to the same price as the .40's, and may require more expensive servo's.

On another note, .40 sized planes are larger, and you can keep your orientation with it further out. Usually the only ones that learn to fly with a .20 sized trainer are the people that are at the smaller airfields, and don't have the room for the larger aircraft.

As far as ailerons, learn with them. It is easier to learn to fly with ailerons than it is with rudder.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 PM
mike20xdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My plan is to buy a new motor for the plane and use nothing from the boats but I do have a .30 OS from a plane that had a training mishap. I do have a 24cc gas aircooled I would like to in a plane down the road.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just dont try to use the engine out of your boats.
Jeez! I'd think he'd KNOW that!

and may require more expensive servo's.
Sorry. Most .20 size kits use the same hardware and electronic equipment as the .40 size.

On another note, .40 sized planes are larger, and you can keep your orientation with it further out.
A novice shouldn't be flying that far out anyway.

Usually the only ones that learn to fly with a .20 sized trainer are the people that are at the smaller airfields, and don't have the room for the larger aircraft.
An incorrect assumption.

As far as ailerons, learn with them. It is easier to learn to fly with ailerons than it is with rudder.
No, it isn't.

Dr.1
Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 PM
mike20xdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was a Designer and worked with AUTOCAD for about 14 years. I wouldn't think that 7 1/4" in wing would make that much of a diffrence. Then the motor will move to the Cub with the same wing as most 40 planes. I do like the Great Planes smaller warbirds but with no landing gear I think that could be a problem for me. I don't have a problem seeing a 27" boat at distance and field by the house has room but if you wind up past the fence there is cow patties to deal with. The advice is good so keep it coming I will get a kit in the next month and try to be the air in the next 3 months.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:08 AM
jrcaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you already have an OS .30, go ahead and get the .20 size airplane. The PT-20 states .20 to .25, but the .30 will power it nicely. That is not enough over sized to worry about.

Go ahead and get a kit, it is good experience, and the skills you learn will make it less frightning when it is time to do a repair. Plus you will have a good set of plans. Most ARF's do not supply plans. Also any parts that are in the kit where they are not drawn out on the plans, take a piece of paper and trace them out. That way no matter what gets damaged, you can reproduce it.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 AM
AVGJohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Built a PT20 for my son to learn on about 15 years ago and powered it with a K & B 20. It proved to be a real great plane living up to all expectations. He ordered me to make it a 3 channel as he thought it would be earier to fly but I made the aileron version anyway. He was real pleased with the aileron version and was happy we did it that way. Learn to fly with ailerons. The PT 20 is an excellant entry level plane to fly and easy to build.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:05 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mike20xdc

The plane builds with ailerons but there is a section in there on locking them down if you want 3 channel operation. So you say just learn to fly on 4 channels.
I'm one of those rare people who learned on 3 channels and then went to 4 on the second plane. While the transition wasn't too bad, I recommend if you have a choice of starting on 4 channels, do it. In addition to avoiding the 3 to 4 channel transition, ailerons will make your first plane more interesting than if you only have 3 channels.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:14 AM
adam d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built a pt-40 for my first plane and it flew very nicely. The only problem I do beleive was the lenght of the landing gear, I found they were way to long for our grass runway and flexed consideably which made it hard for a straigth takeoff sometimes. but other that it was a good plane to fly (when i had it).

Adam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22389.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	606226  
Old 01-25-2007, 12:15 PM
mike20xdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think I'm going to go with the PT-20 kit for having plans to rebuild parts because it will be a crash happen sooner or later. I want my second plane to be the Cub with 3rd ether a Corsair or P-51. As for the Os .30 it is a bushing motor and not reliable enough at the moment. It was parked in a attic for quite some time. It runs but not consistent enough for me to train with right now I'm going to play with it some more and put it on the airboat and if I get running good I'll use it but a new .25 is not out the question.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's easy to replace a trainer's wire gear with sheet aluminum gear. As already suggested, it will make ground handling easier and will still be springy enough for novice landings.

Leave the wire gear wood blocks out of the construction sequence. In place of that, install a 1/4" plywood plate the width of the fuselage and as wide as the gear you're planning to use. Install 1/2" tri stock along each side to reinforce it. Drill four 3/16" holes in the gear, near the edge dimensions of the block (about 1/4" away). Use this as a guide to mark and drill 4 #21 tap holes in the ply block. This is a .1580 drill. A 5/32" (.1562) drill can be substituted. Tap these holes with a 10-32 tap. Soak the holes with thin CA. Re-tap. Soak and re-tap again. The threads will never strip out. Use 10-32 x 1/2" pan or round head nylon screws to secure the gear. It takes less time to do it than to explain it.

Dr.1
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM
adam d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

It's easy to replace a trainer's wire gear with sheet aluminum gear.
Thats what I should of done I knew they were to flimsy it nevery accurd to me to do that. nothing i can do now, what happend in the past stays in the past(or in a garbage can at the feild) and we just have to learn from our misfortunes.

Adam
Old 01-25-2007, 03:13 PM
mike20xdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a good note and I'll take it and try to apply it to the build.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If ya need a pic or drawing, Mike, I'll be glad to get one to you.

Dr.1
Old 01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
mike20xdc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I have to get the plane first I'll go local HS to see what they have that way I can hide from the wife right now and during the build but I leave the boats alone and fool with the planes she might not get mad. Since we have a 7 week old baby and a 4 year old her nerves are on the short side at the moment and the honey do list is long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.