Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine run question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine run question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 PM
YellowHawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine run question

I just a glow plug starter, fuel pump and all the required equipment for starting my new NexSTAR Select. I have the glow plug starter charging now. My question is, if I start the engine, break it in and get it all tuned up, do I need to put some sort of after run engine oil in it? If so, where and how much? Also what kind do I need to use? The engine is an OS .46FXi. Do I have to get after run oil from a hobby shop or will another type of oil work that is readily available at Wal-Mart or somewhere like that? I don't intend to fly it yet, just run the engine. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:21 PM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine run question

After run oil is not necessary unless you are going to store the engine for awhile. I would recommend after run oil if it is going to be 2 weeks to a month or longer before you run the engine again. I personally feel if you use fuel with castor oil you only need after run oil if you are going to be storing the engine for a long period of time. Over the winter, for example.

After run oil should be available from your local hobby shop (LHS), Marvel Mystery Oil and Marvel Air Tool Oil will all work just fine.

Put a few drops down the carburetor and rotate the prop several time to move the oil around. For long term storage put 5 or 6 drops in the carburetor and 2 or 3 drops into the glow plug hole. As before, rotate the prop to move the oil around and to thoroughly coat the bearings and the inside of the engine.

Regards,
doubledee
Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 PM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

After run oil is not necessary unless you are going to store the engine for awhile. I would recommend after run oil if it is going to be 2 weeks to a month or longer before you run the engine again. I personally feel if you use fuel with castor oil you only need after run oil if you are going to be storing the engine for a long period of time. Over the winter, for example.

After run oil should be available from your local hobby shop (LHS), Marvel Mystery Oil and Marvel Air Tool Oil will all work just fine.

Put a few drops down the carburetor and rotate the prop several times to move the oil around. For long term storage put 5 or 6 drops in the carburetor and 2 or 3 drops into the glow plug hole. As before, rotate the prop to move the oil around so it thoroughly coats the bearings and the inside of the engine.

Regards,
doubledee
Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
LANNYBOB

marvel mystey oil at walmart is all your need. if you want to put it in after you run your engine, then do so. by not putting it in wont cause any problems. put a little bit in the carburator (about a half tea spoon) and spin the motor with your electric starter for two seconds. of course do this with the glow plug ignitor off the glow plug. have fun breaking in your new engine. i love doing it.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:27 PM
LANNYBOB

ORIGINAL: LANNYBOB

marvel mystery oil at walmart is all your need. if you want to put it in after you run your engine, then do so. by not putting it in wont cause any problems. put a little bit in the carburator (about a half tea spoon) and spin the motor with your electric starter for two seconds. of course do this with the glow plug ignitor off the glow plug. have fun breaking in your new engine. i love doing it.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 PM
YellowHawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to start it up!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dextron III auto trans fluid works well, too.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:24 AM
fayrwerks

im a newbie with a nexstar with OS 46AX, from my experience i think it wont harm anything... i had rusting problem on my 46AX after 2 weeks of storage without after run, expensive way to learn a lesson but atleast i can disassemble and assemble my engine now. i'm using mobil 1 synthetic 10-40 motor oil as after-run and no rust problem so far. im maybe putting a lot (@ .8ml on the carb and .8ml on the glowplug hole) but its cheaper to replace the plug rather than replacing the bearings
Old 01-28-2007, 12:57 AM
tessmar

I'm sort of surprised no one mentioned this, but glow fuel is mainly alcohol. While it also contains some oil most if not all alcohols will absorb moisture from the air...and I believe a cooling engine will increase this affect as it cools. The ball bearings in motors like the OS 46AX are not rustproof, and while I am fairly new to the hobby I have seen and heard of a number of cases of the rear bearing rusting fairly quickly. Fayrwerks experience is not unique. While I do not have enough experience to have an opinion as to which oil is best, I do use After Run Oil. I fill the carb with the throttle closed, then open it to dump the oil into the morot. I then give the prop a spin with the electric starter to give a fair chance for the stuff to actually reach the rear bearing. So far, after eight months of flying two or more times a week for at least a total of one hour each time there is no sign of bearing noise.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Contrary to some of the above comments, Marvel Mystry oil is not the best as it has little or no water prevention qualitys. The Marvel Mystry Air tool oil is good as is any air tool oil. ATF (automatic transmission oil) is also good as is Rislone (in the yellow container) and is much less expensive than the ARO you get in the hobby shops. Also, just a few drops will not help much, you need to put in enough to coat the surfaces you are trying to protect, usually about a teaspoon full to do an adequate job. In a two stroke you can put it down the carb but in a 4 stroke you need to put it into the crankcase thru the vent line to the crankcase, putting it into the carb does little if any good on a 4 stroke as the oil never gets to where it is needed in sufficient quantities, i.e. to the main bearings on the crankshaft and piston rod.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 AM
fayrwerks

1 teaspoon?i initally tought that im putting a lot of oil @1.6ml.. are you doing some special starting procedure to flush the oil?