Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:07 PM
VTRDRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default .46

Was wandering if the OS .46la will work ok in a Nexstar trainer. On a tight buget.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:22 PM
opjose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: .46

Well you can but quoting right from the web site...

" *Because the .46LA dimensions are different than a bearinged engine,
it will not work in this plane unless modifications are made. You
will need a different engine mount. Depending on which engine
mount is used, you may need to add aprox. 1/4" to 3/8" plywood
to the firewall to extend the prop forward enough to keep it from
contacting the fuselage.
"
It will be a slow flyer with the LA... though I've seen several set up this way... and have flown one.

It was too docile for my tastes, but then I like faster planes.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
brooke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think it will do fine. I had a O.S.46la in a 40 size 4* and that was more than needed. I have also flown a Tower 40 trainer with a O.S.40la in it and that does fine.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

vtrdrc, How much do you have to spend on your tight budget? I have a TT 46 to sell for the same price as tower is selling their blue la 46. You might consider enabeling the pm and email links so members can contact you.

Fred

I just looked at my posting and noticed that my email and pm link were not there either so if you want to contact me kfbaker@hotmail.com
Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM
simhatus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi

The OS 46 la engine is ideal for a trainer to learn on, plenty of power, relatively cheap, easy to set up, reliable and robust (apart from the backplate needle valve mount which seems to break off easily), but not really a problem though as it can be just screwed to the firewall or engine mount.

Simon
Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
hogflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To use an LA engine, you'll have to either put some spacer blocks between the engine mount and firewall, or knock a bit off the cheeks. Power wise it'll work OK for level flight, but take-off, climb and balked landing performance will be marginal. It was designed with the OS .46 AX in mind, which is a bolt-in. I'd recommend using the .46 AX with it - in the long run you'll be happier. Remember the NextStar is a 6.5 lb airplane, even if it has a big wing. While an LA will fly a 5 lb 4-Star just fine, the extra 1-1/2 lbs and additional drag makes a big difference.

Hogflyer
Old 01-29-2007, 11:22 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

vtrdrc, Please email me at kfbaker@hotmail .com I am not going to try to sell you an engine at a bargain price. My post was just deleted because the moder-ater determined that it was wrong for me to make that kind of offer.
Fred
Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Magnum XLS .46A is on sale for $59.99 right now, and it should fly the Nexstar about as wel as the more expensive O.S. .46 AX. The Magnum engines are higher compression, so they aren't as easy for a new pilot to keep tuned in. The Magnum will seem "fussier" than an O.S. .46 AX, but at almost half the price, the Magnum might be worth it if you have help from a more experienced pilot for tuning your engine.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: VTRDRC

Was wandering if the OS .46la will work ok in a Nexstar trainer. On a tight buget.

If the budget is really tight, then you will be the most satisfied with the Super Tigre 40 ($50 )or 45 ($65 ).

Thes ST is by far the best value engine going for the sport flier and a competition flier needing a long life engine. Not only is it powerful, but after a couple hours and tuned in, its life will be there nearly forever.

For the power mongers, the ST .51 is the real engine. Fits the same holes as the 40/45 and the carb throat is properly bored for that displacement whereas the bore is a tad oversize for easy settings on the 40/45. Easy to fix and I frequently do such (freely) for flying friends.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
rlipsett

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

get the 46 ax over the la because you will not have to buy a stronger engine for the next plane so it will save you money in the long run
Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 PM
AVGJohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hossfly knows what he's talking about.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
twigster
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hossfly has it right.... an LA just doesn't have the kick to really fly the nextstar
and also, after you out grow your trainer, you can put the 46AX in another plane, where as
your LA will just collect dust,,, don't make the mistakes some of us have, get the better engine right from the start....
Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 AM
mikenlapaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tight budget.......... what is the price difference on these engines? 1 or 2 gallons of fuel? 1/2 tank of fuel for your car. Consider the overall hours you may use the engine. Seems like a small price.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Nexstar with the 46 LA, and its actually very good for training. You have to learn to fly the plane, not just the engine. The Nexstar is a floater anyway. Its not going to do any aerobatics as you advance with the LA. For power equivalent to the 46 AX, look for a Thunder Tiger Pro 46. Its got the AX performance for the LA price, and its every bit as reliable.

Brad