Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hayes Fuel Tanks...Defueling a plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hayes Fuel Tanks...Defueling a plane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 PM
swixtt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hayes Fuel Tanks...Defueling a plane?

OK... i bought this fuel tank a while ago to install in my plane that i'm building. i've just realized that because it has 3 lines how am i going to defuel the plane? The hayes tanks only have 1 line with a clunk on the end. the other 2 are above it pre-molded into the tank. it is a 16oz tank. has anyone used one of these before?

i'll try to find a pic to post up!

thanks for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83644.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	625947  
Old 02-20-2007, 05:49 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hayes Fuel Tanks...Defueling a plane?

Ya know, I just don't know.

You could ask the Mfg in California
Tel: 714/554-0531

Sorry, best I can offer right now.[]
Old 02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Montague

I use the clunk line to get fuel out of my planes that have that kind of tank. You might try using a T-connector in the clunk line to get the fuel in and out.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 PM
pkevinb

Just run the engine till it's out of gas.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

The center line on the tank is not drilled out unless you drilled it. The tank works just like any other tank. You defuel through the fuel line.

Great tanks. They don't split, don't leak and don't spit out the stopper.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

I'm amazed you aren't getting a good answer here. The vent line is the top line on the tank. To defuel flip the plane upside down and tip it nose down, then pump out the fuel from that line.

That said, you should not pump fuel from the tank back into the fuel bottle. The fuel has products of combustion including water as a result of the muffler pressure line. You will contaminate the fuel bottle.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
willie b.
My Feedback: (12)

I use hayes tanks with my glow engines. The easiest way is to put a tee in the supply line going to the carb. When you fill the or defuel the plane you need to gently pinch off the line with hemostats or buy one of those plastic clips that they use on helis to close off the fuel. Or option (2) you can use a Dubro fueling valve.

Buddy
Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 PM
swixtt

AHHH... that's it!! i knew there had to be a way to do it. i am using a 3 line system. bottom one for the carb, middle for dot fueler and top for pressure. so i can't use the dot fueler to remove fuel from the tank???
just had a look at it again and it isn't that much lower down than the muffler or pressure one.

i'll look for the name of my dot fueler... it's just a simple plug that comes out to the side of the fuse. the engine is in a cowl so that's why it is more difficult to get at.

ORIGINAL: Stripes

I'm amazed you aren't getting a good answer here. The vent line is the top line on the tank. To defuel flip the plane upside down and tip it nose down, then pump out the fuel from that line.

That said, you should not pump fuel from the tank back into the fuel bottle. The fuel has products of combustion including water as a result of the muffler pressure line. You will contaminate the fuel bottle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44985.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	626074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56677.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	626075  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 PM
2slow2matter

Why in the world would you go through all of that mess? Use the same line to defuel the tank that you use to fuel it. And I've pumped fuel out of my tanks back into the gallon jug for years now with no troubles. Fuel is too high to just waste. If you don't or can't get to the carb to take the fuel line off and back on, then get a fueler from dubro or such and be done with it.

Turn the plane upside down? I guess that would work. All along I (and buddies) would be sitting in the shade snickering at you.......
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the dubro EZ fueler valve for my cowled engines its a 1 way valve you can de-fuel through your supply line the fueling probe shuts the fuel off to the engine to fill and empty the tank
Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 AM
swixtt

Well 2slow .... let me get this clear - what you are saying to me is if i use a 3 line system, that will create a mess?

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

Why in the world would you go through all of that mess? Use the same line to defuel the tank that you use to fuel it. And I've pumped fuel out of my tanks back into the gallon jug for years now with no troubles. Fuel is too high to just waste. If you don't or can't get to the carb to take the fuel line off and back on, then get a fueler from dubro or such and be done with it.

Turn the plane upside down? I guess that would work. All along I (and buddies) would be sitting in the shade snickering at you.......
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Dr1Driver

what you are saying to me is if i use a 3 line system, that will create a mess?

No, but it's unnecessarily complicated. I use a Dubro filler in the fuel carb line or simply pull the line off the carb to fuel and de-fuel. You can plug the middle hole in the tank by "welding" it closed with a soldering iron or threading the proper size screw into it. These tanks are very fine quality, durable and don't leak. The original recommended setup (on the package) is quite simple and leak free.

Dr.1
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

History is full of people laughing at others who know exactly what they are doing and why:
http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_faq.htm#5
I'm sure most manufacturers have the same attitude if they adress the issue.

I only empty my tank at the end of the season. Between flying sessions I take a small section of brass tubing and put it between the vent and supply line thus sealing off the tank to prevent leaks during transport.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Stripes

History is full of people laughing at others who know exactly what they are doing and why:
http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_faq.htm#5
I'm sure most manufacturers have the same attitude if they adress the issue.

I only empty my tank at the end of the season. Between flying sessions I take a small section of brass tubing and put it between the vent and supply line thus sealing off the tank to prevent leaks during transport.
Never heard of not putting the fuel back in the jug.. Been doing that for decades and never had a problem... As above, too darn expensive not too... Leave it to a fuel supplier to give that kind of advice..
I used your method of coupling the lines together at the end of the day and it works fine if you have a trainer or something with the engine hanging out in the open.. Cowl the engine in though and it becomes less of an option...
I use Dubro fuelers which do the job just fine for me... I prefer Dubro because they sell a rebuild kit for theres if you ever need one... Some people swear by them and some at them but I have nerver had a problem with one...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:15 AM
swixtt

thanks ironcross,
yeah i've heard mixed things about the fuelers. guess that's why they make a rebuild kit for it!!
ahhh geez, i'm not sure what to do now. i definately can't get to the engine or the tank for that matter when things are completed. i like the 3 line systems(have used them in the past) but they've all had 2 clunks in the tank. i guess the only options is to flip the plane over and pump out what is left. the engine is inverted anyways.

all i wanted to know was whether anyone had used a 3 line with a hayes!?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
bruce88123

Sure you can use a 3-line. You just can't have 2 clunks. I think that is your real question.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 AM
2slow2matter

Well, I don't use Morgan fuels, so I guess I'm safe [8D]
If you are using the middle hole for fueling the hayes tank, then you will never get it completely full anyway. If you get fuel above that line to the vent hole, then fuel is going to run out of that fueler hose when you disconnect the fueler--until you can get it capped off again. That would be a mess. Personally, I've never seen anyone use that hole. You are better off using a two line setup. Hayes tanks are wonderful tanks. I use them with all of my new builds.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:35 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: swixtt

thanks ironcross,
yeah i've heard mixed things about the fuelers. guess that's why they make a rebuild kit for it!!
ahhh geez, i'm not sure what to do now. i definately can't get to the engine or the tank for that matter when things are completed. i like the 3 line systems(have used them in the past) but they've all had 2 clunks in the tank. i guess the only options is to flip the plane over and pump out what is left. the engine is inverted anyways.

all i wanted to know was whether anyone had used a 3 line with a hayes!?
I have never had to use a rebuild kit and some of my fuel valves are several years old.. The big trick is to keep things clean..
I just realized you can't get the second clunk in a Hayes tank.... Caffeen hasn't kicked in yet I guess... GP also makes tanks with only two connections on the front...
Looks like a T or valve with the Hayes...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
swixtt

well i suppose i'm going to have to give up on the 3 line with this hayes. i'll order a dub334 and work that into the firewall. i'll plug the middle hole in the tank and test it for leaks. geez, now i wish i hadn't drilled that hole out.
i'll try the soldering iron welding to hopefully seal it up again.

thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 AM
IronCross

[Deleted by IC
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
IronCross

well i suppose i'm going to have to give up on the 3 line with this hayes. i'll order a dub334 and work that into the firewall. i'll plug the middle hole in the tank and test it for leaks. geez, now i wish i hadn't drilled that hole out.

thanks
Easier way might be to just run a small wood screw into the opening... I have gotten away with that before... Too easy to make weak spots with iron etc for me
Old 02-21-2007, 10:57 AM
bruce88123

thanks
You could always put a short piece of fuel line on it and then insert a short section of brass tubing with the end flattened and soldered shut. Seems like a lot of work but it will do the job.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I use a fuel dot on the middle nipple and then stand the plane up on it's nose to de fuel. This will get most of it out.

David