Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Four Star 60 Firewall

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Four Star 60 Firewall

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 PM
rhowardsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Four Star 60 Firewall

Here's a pic of my "re-kit" Origionaly built frim a kit crashed,Re-built.........Broke my heart when it went in ! But, as they sat they all have "expiration dates".Used a Funtana cowel,flies as good as it ever did ! Flew a half gallon of fuel on Monday!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90790.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	643064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62992.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	643065  
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Did you just cut the orginal canopy down and blacken it? Where did you get the cowl? Any photos of the mounting for the cowl?

How did the drilled landing gear hold up in the crash? Neat plane. Thinking ahead, I might go that route.

Don
Old 03-16-2007, 09:08 AM
rhowardsta

Thanks ! Yeah the canopy is a cut down blackened version of the old one. Sorry don't have any pics of the build, but all I did was lay the remains over the blue print and widen the front of the fuse. evenly on both sides to accomidate the 40 size Funtana cowl. Found it at our local hobby store just looking for one with measurements close the the 4*. She's got an inverted Saito 100 and after some fine tuning,runs like a champ ! Also bought some heavier landing gear,old ones held up o.k. but figured while I was at it why not upgrade. Took care of those bouncy landings,for the most part. Now if could only learn to flare at the right time I might just grease one in !
Old 03-17-2007, 10:12 AM
smithbrl

Don

The the hinges didn't have as much as much wood on them as the one in your picture. There is a little right where the hinge entered the aileron/wing but very little, if any, towards the ends. The part that was sticking out was sort of stiff like it had glue on it.

When I assembled the ailerons I noticed that the hinges slipped into the slots very easily, like the slots were too big. Maybe I should have squeezed the surfaces on the top and bottom of the hinge slots after I put the glue in to get better contact. I have the pinned hinges on my shopping list.

I now have the wingtips repaired. I need to cover the wing and install the right aileron and remove/install the left aileron. I have started on the fulelage and have it repaired and braced from the middle of the cockpit to 3 inches forward of the leading edge of the wing. I have cut the wood that goes from where I am up to the firewall.

Cecil
Old 03-17-2007, 10:26 AM
smithbrl

rhowardsta

Very nice job! Plane looks great.

I have the same problem with the bouncy landings. I'm concentrating on trying to keep it straight down the runway and keeping the wings level that I don't think to flair (it's like I have tunnel vision or I'm hyptonized). After the bounce it dawns on me to flair and I do OK when it comes back down. I have done it right a few times and the landings were great.

Cecil
Old 03-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Campgems

I got do do my first landings with the 4* yesterday. My instructor is great in coaching you in what to do. I kept lifting the nose a bit on final and Paul kept telling me to let is down a bit. Out of five landings, I only bounced in on one and that was because I flaired to high and stalled it. I was about 18" off the runway when I pulled it up. It was also coming in at a dead idle. The better landings were with the engine running around 3000 rpm and then cutting to full idle as I crossed the fence at the end of the runway. The plane settles in quickly, so watch comming in to slow and ending up porposing (SP?)

Got to pack up and see if I can find another instructor out there today.

Don
Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 PM
smithbrl

jetmech05

I need the dimension of the thrust line from the top of the firewall or the overall height of the firewall if you can get that for me. I've already installed my firewall and the blind nuts for the motor mount. Now the centerline of the crankshaft is 2 inches from the top of the firewall.

My firewall is 5 inches tall and the engine appears to be too high although the HSNV seems to be at about the same height relative to the top of the fuselage as it was before the crash. Would it make much difference if the engine were mounted too high or too low? It's centered horizontally.

Thanks
Cecil

Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Campgems

Cecil, the 2" jives with mine. The engine is centered on the width of the firewall. There is no side thrust per the plan. There is a slight down thrust, about 1 degree from the looks of it.

More flights yesterday and today. Yesterday, four takeoff and landings without any problems. Today was a different story. It may have been the penut gallery watching. I couldn't seem to get lined up for landing and out of five I made, only one was really clean. I spread my landing gear out on two of them. I'm thinking of replacing it with the Dubro composite one. It will give me just about an inch more track an I can use smaller wheels and get the same height. I'll let you know how it works out.

Don
Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Cecil, we talked a little about gluing hinges, so I tested mine today. The photo on the left is how a hing pulled from the aileron look when there is a good epoxy joint. Notice the very long slot for the orginal CA hinge, the slot is over3" long. The photo on the right shows how a hinge should break, the whole tang is still in the aileron but the hinge lugs are broken off. This is why I like the nylon hinges vs the CA hinges. They just plane hold.

Don
How does the CA hinge hold less than the pinned hinge? If one cuts the slots properly I don't see where a pinned hinge would have the advantage over a CA hinge and vice versa. I cut my hinge slots with a slot cutter. The CA hinges go in snug. Three drops of CA on each side of the hinge gets completely absorbed into the seams between the hinges and the material. As long as they're installed correctly they'll have the same amount of surface adhered to the wood in the slot. Maybe I am missing something... [sm=confused.gif]

This one of those age old Ford/Chevy subjects?

somegeek
Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM
smithbrl

Don

Thanks for the reply. I didn't bring back all the pieces of the crash-now I realize that was a mistake. I was unable to reconstruct the fuselage to "before" dimensions. I stopped the fuselage at the firewall. The engine will be stuck out on the front with no sides for now. I picked up a cowling at the LHS but it will need some work to be functional. That'll be a down the road project as I crashed my other plane 3 days ago (wing folded) and I have to get something up in the air ASAP.

I need to install the bottom piece that goes under the fuel tank then cover it. I need to install the pegs on the front of the wing and cover it also. Then it will be ready to fly, hopefully by this weekend.

Yeah, those landings are touchy, especially with people watching. I think once you get it down it won't matter who's watching. I have problems lining up the runway whether anybody's watching or not. But it's slowly getting better (if I can keep a plane airworthy).

Thanks
Cecil
Old 03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Campgems

First, any fingerprint or any hint of oil will cause problems as it prevents the CA from penetrating as it should. Second, the hing is stiff and you have to "break" it to get it to flex after glueing them. I've seen to many of them rip, or pull out. One guy last week was walking his plane to the flight line and the rudder popped off. One hinge had signs of CA penetration, but the other three only had a narrow band CA along the hinge line, it didn't penitrate the full length. Builers error?? Could well be, but they lead to that.

Will my nylon hinges pull out. Yep, I hit a fence last thursday and ripped a wing off. The aileron on that wing pulled loose. Four hinges. Three pulled major hunks of balsa from the aileron, and the fourth broke in half. Today a guy found a plane of mine that had been missing for three months or so. It went into the creek bed behind the field like a lawn dart from real high. The bed is so overgrown with vines and brush that by the time the plane got to the ground, there wasn't much left. The engine was not to be found, nor the wing or landing gear. The fuelage was broken in half. The stablizers were ripped off even with the fuse and the only flying surface found was the rudder. All four pined hinges were broken at the hinge line. They didn't pull out of the rudder, or out of the vertical stab. I'm sold on them. I just don't give hinges a thought when checking out my planes. I know they are solid.

As the adds go though, you may get different mileage.

Don

ORIGINAL: somegeek

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Cecil, we talked a little about gluing hinges, so I tested mine today. The photo on the left is how a hing pulled from the aileron look when there is a good epoxy joint. Notice the very long slot for the orginal CA hinge, the slot is over3" long. The photo on the right shows how a hinge should break, the whole tang is still in the aileron but the hinge lugs are broken off. This is why I like the nylon hinges vs the CA hinges. They just plane hold.

Don
How does the CA hinge hold less than the pinned hinge? If one cuts the slots properly I don't see where a pinned hinge would have the advantage over a CA hinge and vice versa. I cut my hinge slots with a slot cutter. The CA hinges go in snug. Three drops of CA on each side of the hinge gets completely absorbed into the seams between the hinges and the material. As long as they're installed correctly they'll have the same amount of surface adhered to the wood in the slot. Maybe I am missing something... [sm=confused.gif]

This one of those age old Ford/Chevy subjects?

somegeek
Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Cecil, you said the wingtips were badly damaged?.. Was it just the outer edges of the wing? If so you can cut the entire bay off the end of the wing on both tips, this will shorten the wingspan 6" total (3" on each end). Then just add a piece of 1/4 or 1/8"ply to the end. It will not change the landing characteristics at all and it does improve the roll rate bit as well. It also took about 6oz off the weight of the plane. Heres a couple pics of it in progress.

Shane

Name:	Sq47892.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	647865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47840.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	647866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99761.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	647867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90499.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	647868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58350.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	647869  
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 PM
smithbrl

Shane

Thanks for the tip and the photos. The damage was on the outside bays on both wings as you suspected but I already repaired them. The damage was only to the leading edge and a couplle of the little 1/4" sticks. It wasn't as severe as I first thought.

After I am more experienced I will cut the outside bays off like you suggested. I need to get a saw something like you have there. Looks like it could be a big help to me at the rate I'm going. Seems like I'm always needing something better than the saw that I'm using.

Thanks
Cecil
Old 03-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

No problem,

I think the biggest thing I noticed, other than the role rate, was that it seemed to be less affected on landings in windy conditions. Doesn't jump around as much anymore. Glad you didn't scrap it, they are a fun plane to build and fly. This was my 2nd plane and first build. Hope everything turns out with the radio gear.

I also have been using the Saito1.00 on mine and it's a rocket.. the header broke right at the head so we put just the header on it tapped for a nipple and the motor just came to life, about 500-700rpms more with but loads of torque.

ORIGINAL: rhowardsta

Here's a pic of my "re-kit" Origionaly built frim a kit crashed,Re-built.........Broke my heart when it went in ! But, as they sat they all have "expiration dates".Used a Funtana cowel,flies as good as it ever did ! Flew a half gallon of fuel on Monday!
How much did you have to widen the front of the fuse for the cowl? Did it add any noticeable weight? I love the canopy, I trimmed mine down as well but didn't go as low as you did. Wasn't sure if it would fit right, now that I see yours I may go ahead and trim it some more.

Name:	Bz77611.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	648081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83773.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	648082  
Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 PM
smithbrl

I called Futaba Wednesday and they said everything checked out but the reciever. They are replacing it under warranty. I've begun covering the fuselage. The wing still needs the aileron installed and covered. Then mount the engine and install the receiver and servos and I'll be ready to go.

Cecil
Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 AM
sticktickler

Nice 4*s guys keep up the good work!
Old 05-18-2008, 06:51 AM
zeuglodon
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Montague

ORIGINAL: smithbrl
Montague
Thanks for your input. What should I do the next time this happens?
Thanks Cecil
When a plane drops nose-down out of a turn, then you've probably stalled the wing by getting the AOA too high. The way out is center the controls, let the plane build up a little airspeed, then pull out gently. The problem here, obviously, is that this kind of crash happens most often when turning to final, low and slow, and there isn't always enough altitude to make the save. Sometimes, once the plane gets too slow, you've crashed and just don't know it yet.

The good news is that for most models, you actually don't have to build that much airspeed back up, most sport planes will get enough airspeed almost instantly, and you can just release the controls, then almost immediatly start pulling out.

The key is the pull as gently as you can, since if you pull too hard here you'll just stall again and be back where you started, just lower.

Obviously, higher wingloadings and rearwards CGs make this kind of thing worse. I see that the plane is question is a .40-size plane with a .75 in it. How's the all up weight compare to the kit recommended rage? half a pound on the heavy side, but still flys great? Wouldn't surprise me. I have a .40 size Sukhoi with a S.T. .75 in it that's a alot of fun, but is really nasty if it gets slow.

Btw, while you might not think the plane was in a "spin", and it probably wasn't in a fully developed spin like you get when you do one as an acrobatic maneuver, the effect is the same, you stalled the wing. In a "spin looking spin", you stall one wing much more than the other, and get that fast rotation, while the less stalled wing still produces some lift to hold the nose up. When falling out of a turn, you usually end up with both wings stalled almost the same, just a little differnece to get some rotation going, but not enough to pop the nose up. The result looks like a diving spiral, but you're still stalled. In these cases, the ailerons sometimes work backwards, since when you try to roll left, you increase the AOA on the right wing, and decrese the AOA on the left. But if the right wing is stalled, increasing the AOA over there just makes the stall worse, and instead of increasing lift over there, lift decreases. In this way, holding left aileron to get out a sping going to the right can actually make the situation worse. It does depend on the plane though.

As someone who pulled this dumb-thumb maneuver several times and blamed everything but myself before figuring it out, I can vouch for the absolute accuracy of this post. I only wish I had someone to analyze my first "low, slow, too-much bank" crash. It would have saved me a couple of rebuilding jobs.

Rick
Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: zeuglodon

ORIGINAL: Montague

ORIGINAL: smithbrl
Montague
Thanks for your input. What should I do the next time this happens?
Thanks Cecil
When a plane drops nose-down out of a turn, then you've probably stalled the wing by getting the AOA too high. The way out is center the controls, let the plane build up a little airspeed, then pull out gently. The problem here, obviously, is that this kind of crash happens most often when turning to final, low and slow, and there isn't always enough altitude to make the save. Sometimes, once the plane gets too slow, you've crashed and just don't know it yet.

The good news is that for most models, you actually don't have to build that much airspeed back up, most sport planes will get enough airspeed almost instantly, and you can just release the controls, then almost immediatly start pulling out.

The key is the pull as gently as you can, since if you pull too hard here you'll just stall again and be back where you started, just lower.

Obviously, higher wingloadings and rearwards CGs make this kind of thing worse. I see that the plane is question is a .40-size plane with a .75 in it. How's the all up weight compare to the kit recommended rage? half a pound on the heavy side, but still flys great? Wouldn't surprise me. I have a .40 size Sukhoi with a S.T. .75 in it that's a alot of fun, but is really nasty if it gets slow.

Btw, while you might not think the plane was in a "spin", and it probably wasn't in a fully developed spin like you get when you do one as an acrobatic maneuver, the effect is the same, you stalled the wing. In a "spin looking spin", you stall one wing much more than the other, and get that fast rotation, while the less stalled wing still produces some lift to hold the nose up. When falling out of a turn, you usually end up with both wings stalled almost the same, just a little differnece to get some rotation going, but not enough to pop the nose up. The result looks like a diving spiral, but you're still stalled. In these cases, the ailerons sometimes work backwards, since when you try to roll left, you increase the AOA on the right wing, and decrese the AOA on the left. But if the right wing is stalled, increasing the AOA over there just makes the stall worse, and instead of increasing lift over there, lift decreases. In this way, holding left aileron to get out a sping going to the right can actually make the situation worse. It does depend on the plane though.

As someone who pulled this dumb-thumb maneuver several times and blamed everything but myself before figuring it out, I can vouch for the absolute accuracy of this post. I only wish I had someone to analyze my first "low, slow, too-much bank" crash. It would have saved me a couple of rebuilding jobs.

Rick
Me too. I put my second 4*60 into the ground three weeks back. Strong down the runway wind. Slow down wind approach. Turn to final, get confused as to orentiation of the plane. Turn back down wind with little ground speed. Watch my plane turn into a lawn dart. Look for a half hour in the oats to find the wreckage. Go home and buy new plane. Flew new plane, 3D 40 size this morning, Pulse rate down to about 120 now that its dinner time. Sure miss my 4*

Don
Old 06-15-2008, 12:18 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Everyone, just to let any interested I am selling my Four Star 60.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=405882[/link]

Thanks,
DTB