Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

In this hobby what was your favourite moment

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

In this hobby what was your favourite moment

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Dave trimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In this hobby what was your favourite moment

what was your favourite moment in this hobby (except your solo flight because thats everyone favourite).

Mine is when i had my first flight in San diego and a guy named skip couldn't get my plane up cause of engine trouble, he let me take his trainer up and then someone offered me a CMP hellcat that was for sale and to help decide skip tookme up with his (which was the same arf) up and haded me the controls, after that flight i bought it and put a lot of work into it. When my parents and i returned home to canada it was my favourite story. Oh, i also bought my trainer at a flea market down there.

so what is your favourite story of this hobby, Dave Trimmer
Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: In this hobby what was your favourite moment

Well Dave, I'm going to buck what you said and vote for the Solo Flight. Not my solo, my student's solo flights. Everytime I have a student solo I get to relive that thrill. And I would have to say that it's probably just about my best.

My second best would be every time I maiden a new plane that I have built!!

Ken
Old 03-11-2007, 10:29 PM
rc-plane

The solo of course but other than that,

Its every time the plane you just spent all your time working on (and spent your $$ on) breaks ground for the first time and flys GREAT!!

Thats what is great for me!

rc-plane

Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 PM
mambarider

The first time I got to fly on my own with the two instructors that taught me.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my favorites happened back in the early 80's. I had already learned to fly "full house" as we called 4 channel back then. But a friend had a little single channel Cessna powered with an .020 engine and a wing span not much over a foot. He had not flown it yet and we got together at a private airport where we both worked. We cranked it up and set it on the runway center line. We turned it loose and it rolled down the runway until it eased into the air. It gently climbed to altitude where, after several flights, we learned how to actually roll and loop this rudder only plane. Finally the engine would quit and it would gently glide down and we'd have to carefully time every little turn until it gently settled onto the runway again. We put a lot of flights on that little marvel.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc-plane

Its every time the plane you just spent all your time working on (and spent your $$ on) breaks ground for the first time and flys GREAT!!

Thats what is great for me!

rc-plane
I agree 110%. There is absolutely nothing like watching something you've put so much time and effort into perform for the first time. I maidened my GP CAP-232 today. Watching it roll down the runway so straight, lift the tail then leave the ground was a nice feeling. Bringing it back in one piece was even better. Of course, this also has an ugly flip side when things don't go so well.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

would have to be when i saw the look on my youngest daughters face the first time she had solo control of her trainor.she cut those pretty eyes at me and i was so proud.the second thing i would have to agree with ken when you see your hard work take to flight for the first time,the satisfaction of something you molded with your hands.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
hogflyer

I'd have to say two moments - I'll have to agree with Ken on a student's first solo flight, and the first time I had a plane fly that required absolutely no trim adjustments.

Hogflyer
Old 03-11-2007, 11:05 PM
BigBadJon

mine was my 1st deadstick,was beyond succesful. landed perfect on the runway like i planned it. lol
Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yesterday went to a new field I had not flown at met a couple of the members there and introduced myself and was quickly invited to fly.
I did bring a plane with me but was a little nervous to fly in another clubs field, but as soon as the engine was tuned and my plane was buzing the field I was fired up! few loops and rolls just the basic pattern, later my timer goes off and I landed with out a hitch taxi over to my location and cut the engine, afterwords I was invited to come fly again and potentally join there club wich I am thinking I am they have a awsome runway perfect for warbirds and seem like a nice bunch as well as my other club members also belong to this one.
my favorite moment seems to be the last time I fly go figure
Old 03-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

My greatest moment was standing on a stage at Vance Air Force Base, Enid, OK., pinning USAF Pilots Wings to my Son's chest in front of his Commander, the Chaiman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, his Grandfather, his Mother and his Brother...all the while remembering how this great hobby and our love of airplanes influenced him to achieve a higher goal.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Deadeye

My favorite moment? The next time I go out to fly.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:39 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

My favorite was the first flight of my first scratch built RC, and I do mean scratch built. Starting from a blank sheet of paper and doing everything from design to build to successful flight is a journey truly worth the immense effort.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

A few years ago at our clubs fly-in. I flew about 15 different planes. I brought 4 of my own and was having one of those days where everything goes right. One of the guys ask if I wanted to fly his 35% Carden Cap. This was my first giant scale flight. What a treat it was. I had a perfect flight and the plane performed like a champ. After that several other flyers ask me to take a turn at theirs. What a great day. At the end it was topped off by Mike McMurtrey complimenting my flying skills. I am getting pumped up to go fly just thinking about it.

David
Old 03-12-2007, 11:10 AM
opjose

Favorite moment:

Successfully and perfectly landing an Ultimate Biplane that had lost aileron controls at a good distance away from the field.
3-4 minutes of pucker factor when this happened as I could only fly the plane in long loops until I got it upright and level.

The round of applause from amused onlookers was the icing to the cake.

A memorable experience.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 AM
richrd

The best ??? This sport has toooo many. First fight of a kit build, greased landing on a sunset summer night. Looking at your son’s grin after winning a pylon race for the first time. WOW what a hobby
Rich
Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 PM
AVGJohn

Took my brand new Sig Kadet Jr. to the field and all the old timers wanted to know how many flights I had on it. "Never flown an RC plane before" I told them. Every one of them laughed at me, offered no help whatever, and one asked me where my trash bag was to haul the wreckage home. I fired up the engine, climbed to about 300 feet and in my panic accidently killed the engine. I circled around several times and glided to a near perfect landing although I did crack the prop on an obstruction. Those SOBs all stood there as stunned as I was satisified. I never went back to that place but found another field, got help, and after the eventual required crashes that always come, became a pretty good pilot and instructer. But that first time miracle that almost never happens still makes me smile.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
sp2pilot

A dead stick landing from nearly a 1000 feet out from the fields boundry, I had just climbed to about 450 feet and was pulling back the throttle on my 50CC Extra 260. It started dropping and I realized I had no engine, before I actually heard it die, It was so tiny out there and I made myself stay calm and rolled the wings bringing the plane straight towards me. There was a 10 mph wind at my planes back and as I let it nose down a bit to gain some airspeed it practically fellout of the sky, I did not give in to the panic and pull up I just let it continue to fall keeping the wings level and when it was about 80 feet from the ground I gently added elevator and it leveled out 10 feet off the deck and came screaming at me at about 60 mph. I banked to the north and pulled up to about 70 feet and made a nice 270 degree turn rolled level and touched down on the first 10 feet of the runway, I was still rolling at about 25 MPH so I just used the rudder to counter the 90 degree crosswind and let it roll a good 100 feet down the runway before I let the tail wheel touch down. It was beautiful. One of the members of the club had watched the whole thing and said he was holding his breath the entire time. I think I was too.

I was so dang proud of myself
Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Dave trimmer

These are awesome replys and i hope they can keep coming. I can't wait to become an instructer to help others in this hobby. I agree though that there are lots of great moments, even in the 1 year ive been in it.

Dave Trimmer
Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Every day I go to the field adds to my favorite moment. If I had to choose one it would be the maiden of my newly repaired tigerII
for some reason I have a bond with this plane. I took out put it on the stand and had to work a bit to get it tuned, Once she was running good I taxied ariound a bit and had my buddy stand behind me (to help trim) as I readied for takeoff, slowly added throttle and pulled the nose. plane immediately dropped the right wing, so I had to counter. Once I was about 100 feet up my buddy started inputting left trim I got it to fly wings level and found she needed some up elevator, got it to fly straight and pulled a 45 degree climb
hard aileron into inverted and rolled under for a half reverse cuban. I would have gotten no points in a pattern contest but man was I proud.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Skyhigh Bev

[color=#FF0099]Favorites so far:

1) Fellow pilots having the confidence in my skills to just hand me their transmitters to their planes including a 46% Ultimate biplane, and an F-16 turbine jet.

2) The first time my fingers didn't shake on the sticks even once during a flight!

3) Being chased all over the sky by a friend in a game of aerial tag.

4) My first night fly, which true to what my instructor, Dave, told me, did feel like the thrill of my first solo flight all over again.

5) Every time I get to trim out a buddy boxed plane for a new pilot.

6) At least once every time I fly at the field....the joy of realizing I'm controlling the third dimension.

7) Knowing I have the respect of my fellow pilots, and the friends I've made.

I know there are more, ...I just can't think of all of them at the moment.....

Bev
Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 AM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: acobra

My favorite was the first flight of my first scratch built RC, and I do mean scratch built. Starting from a blank sheet of paper and doing everything from design to build to successful flight is a journey truly worth the immense effort.
I have to second that one.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
sfsjkid

Great idea Dave! Here is one of mine.

Our club was invited to fly at our city's 50th aniversary celebration. We though we had a large enough area to do some buddy boxing with visitors, but quickly found that this was not the case and limited ourselves to demo flights with helis and aerobats. The celebration was held both Saturday and Sunday, and there was a kid that seemed extremely interested in our aircraft judging by all the questions he had for us in the flight area Saturday. When I had to visit our display area, in a separate part of the park about 500' away, I saw him there again. I thought he had enough after lunch but sure enough, he was back that afternoon, and then again Sunday morning. The wife of a member suggested that we do a special buddy box session for him, and everyone agreed. One of our instructors took him up, did pretty well for the first time, and I have never seen anyone so happy. I still remember his face to this day!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 PM
andrewtexas123

ORIGINAL: sfsjkid

Great idea Dave! Here is one of mine.

Our club was invited to fly at our city's 50th aniversary celebration. We though we had a large enough area to do some buddy boxing with visitors, but quickly found that this was not the case and limited ourselves to demo flights with helis and aerobats. The celebration was held both Saturday and Sunday, and there was a kid that seemed extremely interested in our aircraft judging by all the questions he had for us in the flight area Saturday. When I had to visit our display area, in a separate part of the park about 500' away, I saw him there again. I thought he had enough after lunch but sure enough, he was back that afternoon, and then again Sunday morning. The wife of a member suggested that we do a special buddy box session for him, and everyone agreed. One of our instructors took him up, did pretty well for the first time, and I have never seen anyone so happy. I still remember his face to this day!
Wow that kid is really lucky! What plane was he taken up on?

I dont have any favorite parts yet as i am just getting in to the planes!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
sfsjkid

He got to fly an Avistar. Horizon was kind enough to donate a RTF trainer for our raffle, to which our club added a free year's membership. We were all rooting for him to win, it would have been a picture book end, but it was not to be. Hopefully we'll see him soon since he did have a job babysitting and mentioned that he was going to save up!

I'm sure you'll quickly have stories to tell!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.