Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

Old 03-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Alex7403

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

Hello,

Remind me why do we build and fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

I never saw those electric powered planes (didn’t fly long time).

Dont get me wrong I like the smell of 2-Stroke engines!

As a concept the electric planes should be at lease cleaner and easier to maintain.

Is there an electric engine that gives the power of O.S. 91 Fx or 46 AX FS 120 III ?

Its easier when the plane is big, I can also see how my effort is flying.

I'm just bombarded with ads for EP, wondered if im missing something, seems not.

Thanks

Alex
Old 03-20-2007, 02:40 AM
rxAxilleas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

i have the same question . hobby fliyng isn t only flying. it is the procedure , the sounds, the smells , the engine maintenance and repair and many litle things that has to do with real planes and real engines
achilles
Old 03-20-2007, 03:19 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the wrenching and actually burning fuel,is what I like,also instant power not having to charge a battery just fill the tank and go,burn it while ya can times are a changing,electric is getting better and fuel burning is getting less P.C.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:37 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love nitro planes but now I am so much more into electric, they are now running up to 100 cc planes! Of course at that level the batteries will cost an arm & leg with perhaps a kidney & liver thrown in.

The power is so linear and I love it as there is no more grime and vibration. But then I will not say its better than nitro ... to each their own. As much as I love engines, I have moved to 95% electric. I got EP planes of 80" 78" and 74" ready to be converted, also have some 40/60 sized planes then comes the 400 sized ones for fun! So for me I can go to the air field with many planes but only need to stick batteries into them to fly.

A little secret, leaving batteries aside ... I can set up 3 50cc gas planes in electric form and its so much cheaper than buying 3 DA50s ... As I said, leaving batteries aside!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:12 AM
perttime

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am an electric flyer now but I think one or more glow planes are also in my future.
Just because

Cost of larger electrics is still a bit high, and I think ".40 size" already counts as a large electric. The power is available, no question about that.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:10 AM
B.L.E.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: alex7403

Is there an electric engine that gives the power of O.S. 91 Fx or 46 AX FS 120 III ?

Alex
Yes, yes, and yes.

http://www.hackerbrushless.com/motors_c50quad.shtml
Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 AM
rxAxilleas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2999$ ??????????????????????
Old 03-20-2007, 06:51 AM
B.L.E.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They don't exactly give away those 200cc gas engines for those 47% TOC planes either.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:55 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thats why I'll be stickin with glow and dabbleing a bit in electrics....Rog
Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
koden

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The life expectancy on those expensive LiPo batteries is only a few years. Even if never used. Though if you factor in the cost of fuel over time, it may even out.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 AM
foosball_movie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm fairly new to the hobby, but one of the most attractive things I have found is the process. Fueling the plane, priming the engine, applying the starter, tuning, cleaning up after a day of flying, etc. I'm even looking forward to cleaning my engine in the winter using the anit-freeze method. The process is huge part of the hobby for me. Taking an electric plane out of my truck and simply walking to the runway doesn't seem as appealing. It would be like going to a baseball game and not getting a hot dog or a beer and only watching the 7th inning.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:59 AM
opjose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I drag out my electrics when I only have a little time to spend at the field... otherwise for a full day out, it's glow/gas only.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Flak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"From the left is a beautiful P-51D Mustang at full throttle making a low altitude photo pass". "Ladies and gentlemen, get your cameras ready". "Uh no, his engine is running, but it's an electric engine". "Folks, wait, where are you going"? "Please don't leave, we have many more of these magnificant aircraft to fly today". "Quick guys, get something in the air that is loud and runs on fuel, or the show's over"! Folks don't go to a NASCAR race to see the race; they go to see the crashes!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
sscherin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I keep thinking of trying electric but the startup costs always stop me.
The big cost being the batteries.

Even a little .40 size would take $300 for 2 batteries, charger, ESC and a motor.

I can get a good .40 glow motor for $60-$100

Now I'm looking to get into 120 sizes planes with gas engines..

Going electric there is big bucks mostly for the batteries.. $400 motor. $250 ESC, $800 batteries!!!! (2x 6s 6000mah)
Tank on another $800 for a 2nd set of batteries unless you like waiting around for an hour between flights.

Double that for a Giant scale twin like the 1/5 scale Lightning I want to build someday.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Stevel182

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

According to Webster...
Hobby:
Noun
Definition:
A pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation or pleasure.

According to Steve:
A pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation or pleasure that empties my wallet and makes me add on to my garage so I can engage in it more often.

Further:
If you like Electrics, build one, buy one, but fly it. Whatever makes you happy, it's your hobby or your idea of it. Electrics are neat and tidy and there is some danger in them, so that's fun, sort of.
Personally, I like glow.

Glow is cool. There have been so many fuels, and I have tried most of them. Anybody used Duke's Purple?
Wow, am I really that old?
But I digress..

Glow airplanes sound great, smell great, look fantastic. Glow, well it's messy, you have to clean it up, it's dangerous and it burns.
What's not to like?
There's nothing like a great looking airplane with a big honkin' glow motor bolted to the front of it, ready to swing prop and eat sky.

I like to tune engines, I like to build airplanes with a fuel Tank. I like to fill, and clean, and tune and prep my airplane, because when it's in the air, it's uniquely mine. Even if there are a hundred like it, it's tuned my way, it's cleaned my way, and it's prepped my way. Electrics just don't have that. They don't have that "sound", that smell, that smoke trail in the sky (not from a smoke system). Electrics are just too sterile. No personality.

Remember, it's a hobby. It's supposed to make you happy, and feel good. Hobbies like this take away the grind of everyday crap, like work at the office, office politics, your boss, whatever. Do what you like. I'll respect you even if you fly an electric, or a sailplane, or a foamy, whatever. We're brothers either way. I like stuff that flies, and you like stuff that flies. We already have more in common than most people.

Just my opinion. I have an electric. It sits on a shelf. It reminds me why I like my glow stuff.

Sorry. Did I rant?

Fill it
Start it.
Tweak it.
Fly it.

But mostly,
Fly it.

Stevel
Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nothing like the smell of burnt castor oil in the morning
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Skyhigh Bev

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stevel182

According to Webster...
Hobby:
Noun
Definition:
A pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation or pleasure.

According to Steve:
A pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation or pleasure that empties my wallet and makes me add on to my garage so I can engage in it more often.

Further:
If you like Electrics, build one, buy one, but fly it. Whatever makes you happy, it's your hobby or your idea of it. Electrics are neat and tidy and there is some danger in them, so that's fun, sort of.
Personally, I like glow.

Glow is cool. There have been so many fuels, and I have tried most of them. Anybody used Duke's Purple?
Wow, am I really that old?
But I digress..

Glow airplanes sound great, smell great, look fantastic. Glow, well it's messy, you have to clean it up, it's dangerous and it burns.
What's not to like?
There's nothing like a great looking airplane with a big honkin' glow motor bolted to the front of it, ready to swing prop and eat sky.

I like to tune engines, I like to build airplanes with a fuel Tank. I like to fill, and clean, and tune and prep my airplane, because when it's in the air, it's uniquely mine. Even if there are a hundred like it, it's tuned my way, it's cleaned my way, and it's prepped my way. Electrics just don't have that. They don't have that "sound", that smell, that smoke trail in the sky (not from a smoke system). Electrics are just too sterile. No personality.

Remember, it's a hobby. It's supposed to make you happy, and feel good. Hobbies like this take away the grind of everyday crap, like work at the office, office politics, your boss, whatever. Do what you like. I'll respect you even if you fly an electric, or a sailplane, or a foamy, whatever. We're brothers either way. I like stuff that flies, and you like stuff that flies. We already have more in common than most people.

Just my opinion. I have an electric. It sits on a shelf. It reminds me why I like my glow stuff.

Sorry. Did I rant?

Fill it
Start it.
Tweak it.
Fly it.

But mostly,
Fly it.

Stevel
[color=#FF0099]Everything Steve said.........DITTO!
Bev
Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM
sfsjkid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know if this will serve as a reminder but generally I fly nitro/gas on the weekend, electric during the week in between work (the park is 5 minutes away). I also will fly electrics on the weekend if I'm feeling lazy. My choices are based on cost, I seem to have 3 ranges,

1) Anything smaller than a .40 sized nitro is electric. I might go bigger as cost of lipos go down. I have about $700 in batteries, which at say $15/gallon is about 46 gallons of glow fuel. I don't know if one can say electics are cheaper.
2) 40 to 120 sized birds are nitro powered. Love the sound, power, etc.
3) Anything above 120 gets gas, since I would tend to go through a gallon or more of glow fuel in this range. Little or no mess and good stability.

I find it hard for me to limit myself to either side.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:20 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flying electric aircraft normally leaves me feeling like I'm flying the world's coolest paper airplane. It's not that it isn't fun, it just feels like something is missing.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Happy Feet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: alex7403

Hello,

Remind me why do we build and fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

I like the mess it all makes. Fuel spills everywhere. CA glue and epoxy just gets everywhere
Old 03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
B.L.E.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Flak

"From the left is a beautiful P-51D Mustang at full throttle making a low altitude photo pass". "Ladies and gentlemen, get your cameras ready". "Uh no, his engine is running, but it's an electric engine". "Folks, wait, where are you going"? "Please don't leave, we have many more of these magnificant aircraft to fly today". "Quick guys, get something in the air that is loud and runs on fuel, or the show's over"! Folks don't go to a NASCAR race to see the race; they go to see the crashes!
I hate to break this to you, but, even when it's hard to find a parking spot at the local flying field, it's quite likely that the only person who is watching your plane is you and someone who's waiting for you to land so that he can fly.
By the way, the last time I saw a full scale P-51 make a photo pass, it did not sound like a chain saw or a lawnmower.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
kenny norris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if your a man go glow if your a sissy go electric. where i come from real men like real things they can work on and see the difference. electric is for people who are not mechanically inclined and thinks a ceiling fan is something you fly.hope this helps you out. kenny from albany ga
Old 03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
oldhippy1
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I GREW UP ON NITRO AND WILL STAY THAT WAY!

Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Missileman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both for me.
Batteries aside setup cost are about the same. Consider those expensive batteries as buying fuel up front.
Cost per flight on average is very close to the same.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:46 PM
orenda635

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've found that bigger planes are better with gas/glow. Smaller planes are better with electric. I've got a couple of electrics but I'm not seriously into them. I've never had much luck with them to tell the truth. Batteries are very costly, then if you start going to the realm of brushless, the motors cost more and require expensive speed controls.

I wonder, why doesn't anybody run diesel anymore? It's powerful, clean, the fuel is relatively cheap. No special equipment required. In the six years I've been in this hobby, I haven't come across anybody running one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.