Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OS 1.20 AX bearings

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OS 1.20 AX bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS 1.20 AX bearings

Has anyone experienced pre-mature bearing wear on the new OS 1.20 AX engines?

The one I have on my Venus II seems to have rather noisy bearings. A friend that I fly with told me that he has already replaced one of the bearings on his OS 1.20 AX engine. His engine is newer than mine is, and to answer one question before it is asked, yes, we both use after-run oil.

DS.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:51 AM
alan0899

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 1.20 AX bearings

G'day Dick,
I have not had a 120AX, but I have worn out the bearings in my 160FX, & in Kim's 46AX, I replaced them with stainless bearings from Boca bearings, & have had no more problems, thanks to a tip from Bob Pastorello.
When you think about it, there is a huge load placed on the bearings in our "little motors", especially if the props are not as balanced as they should be, so they do wear, so it seamed like a good idea to use stainless & of course they will rust, even if after run oil is used, I use it after every flying session, & it only takes a few small spots, of rust, to ruin bearings.

Hope the weather is getting better, where you are, Dick.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Allan.

Probably so. The Venus II engine was bought last summer or fall, and has, oh, perhaps 30 ?? flights on it. I did fly it pretty much most of the winter except for when the weather took a turn in February and most of March. It just has a rough sound when turing the prop in the free-wheeling timing (before compression). The bearings are not that hard to replace nor are they very expensive, I just wondered about this short life, was all. The engine runs great other than this bearing noise.

The weather is definitely getting better. I was out two days last week, which means that flying season has begun [8D]

Dick.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Dick, if you want i'll throw them in for you.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
alan0899

G'day again Dick,
The problem with using a motor, that has bad bearings, is the fact that it will get worse & worse, until it begins to seize, then the outer race will spin in the crankcase & stuff the motor, & also bits of bearing will break loose & cause havoc inside the motor, blowing plugs & stuff.

I've seen motors keep running with stuffed bearings, until the inside the head & the top of the piston, looked like it had been sandblasted, the bearing cage had come apart & bits were all through the motor, the owner only knew there was a problem when the motor stopped, as he was on final approach to land, the plug had blown, so we suggested he check out the inside of the motor, & found lots of little ground up bits of bearing cage, that poor Enya never ran again.

I just check them every now & then, by rocking the prop at 90 degrees to the crankshaft, if there is movement, I replace the bearings, it is usually only the main (larger) bearing that is a problem anyway.

Keep em flying in the soft stuff, Dick, & keep away from the hard edges. The ground.