Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

noob planes.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

noob planes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 11:33 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob planes.

There's probably several options at $300 to $350. No conventional kits/ARF's I can think of you can get in the air for much less.

However... visit ww.spad.org They've got plans (free plans!) for a trainer made from corogated signboard plastic and PVC gutter downspout. Costs about $15 t0 $25 in materials (including wheels and bolts) to build the aircraft itself. Add a radio similar to the Tower System 3000 4-ch, and a Magnum XL .40, (and a can of fuel and a glow ignitor) and you'll get in the air for under $250 easilly.

I recommend sanding the corogated and PVC where your are going to glue it, rather than the site's listed metod of "flashing" its surface with a propane torch. All you're doing is removing a thin film of oil or wax from the surface of the plastic. 280 grit sandpaper buffed over the surface will get it, and no risk of melting the signboard material.

There's a LOT of neat lookng designs at that site... most are NOT appropriate as trainers. The two pictured on the left side top of the opening page are good as trainers.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:09 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Default noob planes.

You should also look into a club near you, and see if someone has something for sale. I got my first trainer with the engine, radio, and plane, ready to fly for 200 bucks. It had never been flown either!!
Old 08-18-2002, 02:18 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default noob planes.

It only takes a couple of hours to fold up the coroplast and CA together one of those SPAD designs. sometimes... they're quicker to get in the air than the ARF kit planes.

The SPAD planes started out as essentially disposable aircraft for R/C combat They needed to be cheap, and quick to assemble due to the high potential for smashing the planes in mid-air collisions or due to the disorientating action in the Combat competitions. (twisting and turning so much.. you lose track of even which plane is yours sometimes. )

A neat siide benefit of the SPADs... they tend to bounce, not break.