Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK--COMMENTS

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK--COMMENTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK--COMMENTS

I don't wish to be stepping out of line here,But it would be great to see at lest one thread per forum for people like me who are in the sport just for the fun of it.People who are just starting out and people like me ( retired ) and on a buget.My point being you can have just as much fun flying a $70.00 ARF trainer as you can flying a $800.00 dollar model.I have been playing with RC planes for the last ten years or so,and building planes from 13 years old till now ( I'm 64 ).I'm not trying to impress any one,and don't want to have to get a loan on the ranch to have fun with a model.I don't expect a $50.00 dollar 40 size engine to run or last as long as a $400.00 one.But when you wear it out you put it on the shelf and buy another one.
I will make one point here---I just bought a helicopter ( VORTEX 4 CH---$89.00 )and I will add this was a new adventure into something i had not done yet.While I was waiting for it to get shipped to me I wrote a thread on helicopter forum just for some advice seeing I was new at this game.I did get some good advice,but a lot suggested these are just junk and you need to get a helicopter that was well over ($400.00 ) to have a good one.Most (60%) said get a simulator first before you try and fly.Well I got the heli,I have been playing with it for several days and flying it mostly in the house.It is fun as hell,tricky to fly for me because I'm a beginner.But I'm doing better ever time I fly.I took this heli up to a friends house last night and let him fly it and it was a pleasure to watch someone fly it who knew what they were doing.He agreed with me it was a great fun flying helicopter and could not be beat for the small amount of money for it.The radio that came with this model feels and looks just about like a typical 4 chanel futaba radio.This is the whole point I'm trying to make,their are products out there you can have fun with and not have hundreds of dollars tied up in them.For the people with deep pockets or the one's who simply must have the best,this is not your cup of tea.I know for me if you was to watch me fly,it would probbly make no noticeable difference in my flying if I was using a 4 CH $120.00 radio or flying with a 12 Ch $2,000.00 radio.I know there must be a lot of people in RC flying that feel the same way as I do. BIGMIG
Old 04-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Master Chief
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK--COMMENTS

The "Moonlight Bunny Ranch" is not the most bang for your buck!!!! but the strykers are pretty fun for the money, especially if you can dog fight against some buddies.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:44 PM
2HI2C

I am old school myself. My most expensive radio is a $159.00 JR , My cheapest is a $99.00 JR & it does everything I need to do. I do my mixing with my thumbs not my radio. I have gone from building to ARF because I enjoy flying now more than building. I really like my Evolution engines (5) they all run great, I have 1 - OS FL .70 sweet engine. 1 - MDS 2.18, 1 - Old OS .40 FP & 1 - Old HP .40 PDP. I suppose if I had money running out my ears if would be cool to have stuff I didn't know how to work. But it I had any more fun with that expensive stuff than I do my cheap stuff I couldn't stand it.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Villa

Hi BIGMIG
Like you I'm retired and on a fixed income. Been flying RC since about 1972. About 5 years ago I discovered SPAD planes and now that is all I fly. Are you familiar with this type of construction? See the SPAD section further down on RCYnivers or at spadworld.com. To the left you will see my SPAD Canard that I designed, built and fly. Compared to an ARF, I have about $30.00 in it. Been flying it about 3 years. Also have a SPAD Flying Lawnmower and a SPAD twin engine Pusher/Pluller, and a SPAD J3-Cub with a 71 inch wingspan. None cost more than about $30.00.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

I'll add to the list a pair of planes to get sport speed on the cheap.
1) Diamond Dust and OS .32SX
2) GP Viper or any balsa and foam Q-500 with an OS .46FX (I understand the TT.46 does well too)
Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Sorry guys, I was reading two threads at once and thought this was in the extreme speed forum. I guess thats what I get for multitasking.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheapest bang for your buck is free flight hand or catapault launched gliders, either indoor or outdoor. Only real expense is travel to contests.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:31 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I appreciate your sentiment there, BIGMIG. If you put a $65 Super Tigre GS-45 ABC on the front of a $99 Hangar 9 Super Stik .40 ARF and install a $115 Hitec Laser 4 radio system, you can fly for years and have a blast doing it. Too many times we want something bigger, shinier, and more complex instead of appreciating the elegant simplicity of a really fun .40-sized sport plane.

I don't know how many "what radio should I buy?" threads I've seen over the last few months where people have recommended that somebody with no RC experience who is just getting into the hobby and wants a radio for their first trainer should go out and buy a Spektrum DX7 because "it's the only radio to consider." Wow, a 7-channel computer radio with fixed wing and helicopter mixing options is the ideal first radio? A beginning pilot shouldn't even consider options that are less than $350?

I think the helicopter version of this paradox is something that you've already experienced:

An $85 helicopter can't possibly fly as well as a $200 helicopter, and even if it does parts will be hard to get and it won't be upgradable when you want to fly 3D later. The $200 helicopter is OK, but it's not as upgradable as the $299 helicopter. The radio that comes with the $299 RTF helicopter isn't as cool as having a $300 radio to fly your $299 helicopter with, so you should convert it to a seperate radio and then buy $250 or so worth of aluminum and carbon fiber upgrades for it. So, the best starter helicopter will be a $300 ARF with $250 in upgrades and a $300 radio, you know, just to get started with... you can do the brushless upgrades and get metal gear digital servos once you learn how to hover...

Just buying the $85 helicopter and having fun with it never crosses their minds.

I guess it's always easier to recommend the best when it's somebody else who's going to pay for it and it's not coming out of your own wallet!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 PM
sw1241
My Feedback: (1)

I am middle road, have a bunch of cheap stuff, a couple of mid range gassers( not for 3d, just sport flyers), did however just spring for a DX7 today. Point is that i am close to retirement and am trying to collect equipment and tools to be able to continue to fly when i don't have a job to go to, and when i drop the Southern Calif Life and go to the Ozarks to live, I have a Os 91fx that i planted and broke the crankcase, replaced it w a magnum 91 crankcase and it flys like a dream, cost to repair $22.00, i am teaching myself to hotwire foam (got a ways to go on that one) so i can build my own sport flyers when i need one. Bottom line! while its nice to see the realy big dogs play w their multi thousand dollar machines and don't forget the jets also, and we have a mfg. rep in our club that has all the baddest choppers and can fly the rotor blades off of them. I still go home at the end of a flying day feeling great about being able to beat around the sky w my stuff.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 PM
iron eagel

As far as I am concerned, we are all in it because we enjoy airplanes. To me it is not about the money, it is about the fun.

I have been fascinated by flight and airplanes since I was an infant ( at least that is what my parents told me they operated a restaurant next to an airport and I was there often and would spend hours just watching the planes come and go). One of my earliest memories is watching a piper cub take off and I did try to build my first airplane at six years old.
I have flow full scale and models both for over 40 years, and still enjoy both. I can tell you this I can have just as much fun with a $29 air hog as with a $100,000 full scale Piper.

It not about how much you spend, it is about flying.

And to be honest I get most of my enjoyment out of building them. Taking a pile of balsa and making a plane out of it, then to be able to make it fly period.

I have suggested multi channel radios to beginners only because I had gone the route of 1c, 3c, 4,c and 7c radios over the years and wish I started with one that could have done it all. But like I told them it is about what you want or can spend on your hobby, you can spend a little or a lot. I would rather they had a radio that would last them several years rather than having to replace it in a couple of months because they want to fly something that needs five or six channels. As far as I am concerned the radio is one of the most important things to an rc pilot, and that is where you should spend a bit more. The plane can be a wingdragon, stick, lt 25, tudor or B-17 or even an B-52 or a helicopter all with one radio.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:58 PM
BIGMIG

You hit the nail on the head and thats why I wrote what I did.I know there is a heck of a lot of us out here flying that feel the same way.We aren't trying to Impress anyone or trying to keep up with the next door neighbor,we are just having fun and doing it inexpensively. BIGMIG
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 PM
AIRDEL

As a Newbie who is just in my first year (started last fall). I have already stuck some money into things that I am currently upgrading.

My advice would be this: Start with something inexpensive, to get your feet wet, or better yet take some lessons with someone else's plane, once the bug has bit then upgrade or buy better to start. The worst thing I believe a person could do is to go into debt for a hobby(obsession). I keep a fund for hobby, and my wife and I share this for our pasttimes. (She likes the 4 wheel vehicles) I prefer 3 wheels and a runway.

Right now my big upgrade is a new radio. I like the looks of the JR 7202. I believe this would be an investment in my last transmitter.

Just my 2 cents worth. (and probably not worth the cost)

Del

Old 04-17-2007, 01:46 PM
DEFORCER

im kinda like u but i do have expensive toys, i have spektrum gear and a lot of planes, but do it just for the fun, i actually prefer cheaper aircraft but my dad is hooked onn this hobby, reason which is why i have so many planes, i buy a lot of walmart and toys r us planes, and if they are on the verge of destruction i light them on fire and fly them or strap a quarter stick with a 9 inch fuse to it. my dad is a big pyro and we got so many fireworks in our attics that are now illegel.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I grew up in this hobby, so it has been a life-long passion of mine. There were many years where family and bills came first, and there was no time or money for a hobby.

Then came many years of scrimping and saving, buying used equipment, getting whatever deals I could.

Now I have a good income, and I can buy a lot of things, and occasionally I do splurge a little, but deep down I'm still a cheapskate and love getting a good deal - And I know a good deal when I see one.

A Seagull Decathlon is one of those deals. Great flying plane for just over $100 and all it needs is a 4-channel radio and engine.

This past weekend at Toledo I saw another great deal that just hit the market. SIG announced a new flight simulator. It's the FMS simulator packaged with a TX and cord for under $40. Sure, it doesn't have State-of-the-art graphics and all the bells and whistles of a $200 sim, but heck, most people just need something to practice on!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think a good .32-.45 sized profile plane, [especially if you scratch build] is the most complete fun and best flying experience for the dollar. The Morris Sudukhoi showed me a whole new world of flight and can be set up as easy to fly [and more importantly land] as any plane. Planes like this will give a guy something new to master skill wise anytime you are ready to take something new on.

A .32 powered Diamond Dust delta is a close second for WOW factor, very easy to land and can also be set up for easy handling. The OS .32 is a great investment, easily worth what a sack full of LA engines cost. The .32 is happy to putt around as long as you want or will take many years' worth of full throttle abuse.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Lomcevak Duck

I love my OS .32 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, maybe for a Jett...
I bought it in 1998 and it's been run hard every season. It's almost worn out now, leaking around the head and loses so much compression during a hard run that the prop will windmill on a deadstick approach
But you're right about it being very versitile. It's been on a Jerry Smith fun-fly, a GP Viper, several spads, and now a Diamond Dust. It's been literally dug out of the ground on several occasions and has a crack in the crank case near the carb that lets so much air in that it's hard to kill it with the throttle all the way shut! But when it finnaly gives up the ghost I'll buy another one just like it.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Flyboy76

NOw that is getting mileage out of an engine. I have only been in the hobby a short time (3 years) but have managed to acumulate several planes and some engines lots of servos, some recievers ...... etc. etc. but now i have gone back to the principal of how many planes do i really need so i have been selling some stuff to guys in town (which is great as i am getting more people interested in flying) and have broken it down to a simple formula.

1. Floatplane - euro-models .46 beaver for when i am at the lake and need a fix
2. Sig Somethin Extra - goes with me everywhere
3. World Models Super Chipmunk - my favorite plane
4. Little Toni - haven't purchased yet but really love the look of the plane.

I have come across many more planes that i would love to have but buying them and building them and then having them hang from the ceiling because i can only fly one plane at a time doesn't really make sense. I have made a pact with myself that i will never have more than 7-10 planes at one time for this reason. I am interested in building some spads just to try it out and would like to try choppers in the future as well. I love this hobby and hopefully i can get more people in my town to get into it as well and form a club.

Flyboy76
Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

To: Flyboy 76

Back pay from a job or a nice tax refund helps. I've got some hobby tools I've had stored away for over a decade. The heat gun and iron still work, same with the dremel moto saw. Trying to find a deal on ebay sometimes does also help the pocket book. I just sold a plane on ebay because I don't need it around too. Arf's are nice but I might try more scratch building.

By the way. See you Rider fans on September Long Weekend (if we don't have a fun fly that is). Go Bombers!
ORIGINAL: Flyboy76

NOw that is getting mileage out of an engine. I have only been in the hobby a short time (3 years) but have managed to acumulate several planes and some engines lots of servos, some recievers ...... etc. etc. but now i have gone back to the principal of how many planes do i really need so i have been selling some stuff to guys in town (which is great as i am getting more people interested in flying) and have broken it down to a simple formula.

1. Floatplane - euro-models .46 beaver for when i am at the lake and need a fix
2. Sig Somethin Extra - goes with me everywhere
3. World Models Super Chipmunk - my favorite plane
4. Little Toni - haven't purchased yet but really love the look of the plane.

I have come across many more planes that i would love to have but buying them and building them and then having them hang from the ceiling because i can only fly one plane at a time doesn't really make sense. I have made a pact with myself that i will never have more than 7-10 planes at one time for this reason. I am interested in building some spads just to try it out and would like to try choppers in the future as well. I love this hobby and hopefully i can get more people in my town to get into it as well and form a club.

Flyboy76
Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Great Planes Big Stik 40,the cheapest 40 sized engine you can find(look at swap meets),and a cheap 4 channel radio system and your in business.It's a cheap set up,but oh what a kick in the pants at the field!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Just because you spend the "big bucks" for the best of everything doesn't make you a better pilot. We had a young man at our fly in that flew the crap out of his airplane. Can't for the life of me remember what he was flying (old age CRS syndrome), but it was a 3d plane of some sort. Did all the maneuvers you can imagine. Went to him afterwards and asked what kind of radio he had. A 4 channel Attack with no gyros! Equipment doesn't make the pilot, but the pilot can make the equipment look good. I too am a cheapskate. My workshop is full of swap shop dollar box items. Good thread BigMig. If you have deep pockets, go for it. But for those of us that don't, don't make fun of us who fly on a budget.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Steak is actually a better buy than hamburger.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Missileman

I fly both airplanes and helis. I certainly appreciate the biggest bang for the buck issue.
One of my favorite planes to fly cost me only $125 ready to fly (used) (Hobbico Brighstar w/TT Pro 46 and 4ch Futaba)
On the heli side however, I bought numerous cheap helis (at least 6, all under $200 some under $100) all are in piles of scrap waiting for parts from Hong Kong or just sitting there waiting for me to decide if I really want to repair it. It wasn't until I bought a T-Rex (minimum of $500) that I had any success at all with standard heli flight and now have over 60 flights in (I did have no problem with the blade CX coaxial heli but it is very limited in what it will do and a different animal all together)
So I can see why you got the advice you did from the heli section. You had good luck with an $85 heli and I am glad but based on my own experience that is really not the norm.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:45 PM
stockdaddy

The Thunder Tiger GP 42 is only $62 which gives you the best bang for your buck.

There are free sims out there and you may also try buying one used, then practice on it for 2-3 months and resell it. Counting the shipping and reselling it, would probably only cost you $25 to buy something like G2.

The hitec optic you can buy for around $110 used maybe $75. This is good for just everything you could want. I do advise getting into computer radio, makes things easier.