Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The wind is calm

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The wind is calm

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:21 AM
eatmydust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The wind is calm

I'll be launching my maiden in about 20 minutes!

Wish me luck! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Default RE: The wind is calm

Good luck and good flying! What bird are ya maidening?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:56 AM
eatmydust

ORIGINAL: Primodus

Good luck and good flying! What bird are ya maidening?
It was a slow stick! Well it still is, it's just shaped a little different now.

I tossed it at about 2/3's throttle. It was climbing way too fast. So naturally I panic and and grab the elevator control. Only problem is I pull "down" on the stick so now I'm doing loops. I totally freaked out at this point and crashed it. Part of the problem I think is I've been flying the Nextstar on the sim for too long. I usually steer with ailerons and not the rudder. Then I buy the SS and I have to steer with my left hand which I'm not at all used to doing. I had wondered if that would be a problem.

Anyway, I need a new wing, motor mount and lipo. The lipo was mounted behind the motor and got crushed a little bit on impact. I'm not going to use it anymore. As a matter of fact I left it in the field. I'll go back later to get it and see if it didn't explode.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:59 AM
eatmydust

Guess I could plug my rudder servo into the aileron connection on the receiver next time. Or maybe I should just relearn and adjust my bad habits?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:17 AM
2HI2C

There are several discussions about teaching yourself to fly & 9 times out of 10 (no 99 out of a 100 times) this is what happens. Sorry you lost your plane. Fix it & get some help and it will be a lot more fun.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:41 AM
rwright142

Like 191557 said, this is what happens most of the time without instruction. I've seen a lot of people leave the hobby because of this - they quit because they don't think they can do it. But, with some instruction, you can do it. Find a club, get an instructor, then when you have the experience and weather like you have today, you will be successful and we'll all get the share in your joy.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:44 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the damage. Real flying just isn't like the sim.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Bummer on the crash. I'll second the notion to have an experienced flier close when you try again. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2007, 12:52 PM
B.L.E.

Definately plug the rudder servo into the "aileron" channel if you are flying 3 channels. I do all my 3 channel airplanes that way.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:00 PM
bayward

ORIGINAL: eatmydust

Guess I could plug my rudder servo into the aileron connection on the receiver next time. Or maybe I should just relearn and adjust my bad habits?
Yes, make a habit of using the rudder on the right aileron stick on a three channel setup.

Bob
Old 04-15-2007, 10:20 AM
eatmydust

ORIGINAL: bayward

ORIGINAL: eatmydust

Yes, make a habit of using the rudder on the right aileron stick on a three channel setup.

Bob
Thanks everyone!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:06 AM
waross

I agree with everyone who said get an instructor. Seems eatmydust likes the advise on setting up a 3-channel but I haven't heard him say he'll get an instructor.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
kyle1
My Feedback: (1)

lets see $58 for AMA and prolly $100 for a year at a flying field, $0 to get an instructor to help you out. $158 is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new plane every time you crash, which will be a lot with out a instructor
Old 04-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Mr67Stang

RCKen should sticky this thread as as a reference for all those people that say, "I don't need an instructor; I have a sim."
Old 04-15-2007, 03:11 PM
bayward

I think most RC newbies will agree that an instructor is the best way to go. With that said, I will add that there are people out there that prefer to learn on their own. Even when they know there is a different way that can produce easier results.

I am an RC newbie that chose to learn on my own. I am a member of AMA and have a friendly club with an excellent flying field less than twenty minutes from me. I simply preferred to learn on my own. Did I bang up some airplanes ? Absolutely. In fact I am rebuilding a balsa wing kit right now while I am typing this and watching the race, that I ran into the ground a few weekends ago.

Maybe Eatmydust wanted to learn on his own also, or maybe he did not have an accessable instructor.

Bob
Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
eatmydust

ORIGINAL: waross

I agree with everyone who said get an instructor. Seems eatmydust likes the advise on setting up a 3-channel but I haven't heard him say he'll get an instructor.
I was just surfing through my old posts here and found this one. Boy, what a difference a year makes. Or even a few months.

After I replaced my crash parts I was succesful in my 2nd attempt to fly my SS. I was so thrilled I went and bought a Mini Ultra Stick and quickly busted it all to pieces. So I started driving past the local flying club everyday. There was never anyone there. Finally after about a month of this I found an old guy sleeping in his car at the field. I woke him up and asked "are you a flier?" He says, "yes are you?" I explained that I was just a wannabe. He says" I'll teach you how to fly. I bought the Eflite Cub with a 62 in wingspan and flew it succesfully after a minor mishap on my maiden. No damage! The old guy, Bob, said it took him 3 years to get to where I was in a few months. I always helped him start his nitro powered planes and one day he brought out this huge Telemaster with an 8 ft wingspan. He flew that plane for awhile and offered to sell it to me. I bought it and he gave me a another one. A 40 size low wing speedster. Not sure what kind of model it is but I've flown it and it's pretty fast.

Anyway, I now have 7 or 8 planes and maybe 8 or 9 heli's. Crazy how things happen so fast lol!

So waross, I did eventually get an instructor and am a member of the Knox County RC Flying Club which was formed in 1981. We just had our first meeting of 08. There are 5 members there that have been flying together since before 1981 and one member has been flying models for 45 years. My instructor, "Old Bob" he calls himself has been flying for 30 years. Great bunch of guys. My dues are paid and I flew a heli in the conference room to the delight of all 11 members after the meeting Thanks again to everyone. C'mon spring time!
Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
bruce88123

Nice to get feedback and see you are doing well.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Missileman

Same here. Joining a club has enriched my life tremendously. The friends I have made and joy of spending time with them far outweigh any AMA or club fees, not to mention that I learned to fly without a single crash. In fact my trainer was traded to another member for an SE5 and it is now on its third student.
I always strongly endorse learning with an instructor.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:14 PM
rceric

There are other important things you learn from an instructor besides flying. The most valuable things are the things you can't learn on a simulator. Like how to break in and then tune an engine. What spare parts to carry in your flight box. How to fix things when they break "the correct way" and countless other little tidbits..