Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Parkzone T28 Trojan: A new "best" electric trainer?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Parkzone T28 Trojan: A new "best" electric trainer?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone T28 Trojan: A new "best" electric trainer?

Parkzone is launching a sport scale electric version of the T28 Trojan, a low-wing primary trainer used by the military from the 1950's through the 1970's:

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4400

This plane, for just over $200 street price, will include a 5-channel 72Mhz radio system, brushless outrunner and 25a ESC, and an 1800Mah 3S LiPo pack all right in the box.

This plane boasts 4-channel control, including a steerable nose wheel. It's more powerful and manuverable than the Hobbyzone Super Cub and it's way, way less expensive than the Hobbico Electristar.

Could this finally be the ideal $200 brushless powered trainer that the whole world wants? I don't know, I haven't seen one fly yet!

This should be a good trainer airframe, and a lot of folks will like the low-wing design and the warbird-like details. I guess we'll have to wait and see. They're also doing a PnP version, so maybe a few folks who have already solo'd will try this bird out and report back on what they think as well.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 PM
pt40crasher

Default RE: Parkzone T28 Trojan: A new "best" electric trainer?

Looks neat. Wonder what the pnp will cost. It is a shame their servos suck so bad.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 AM
bigedmustafa

I looked at Horizon's website, and they're showing the RTF at $219.99 and the PnP version at $159.99. My local Hobbytown USA actually sells the Parkzone stuff for a little less than Horizon's display prices, so it will be interesting to see.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

i'm definately gonna get the pnp version when it comes out. i build a lot of planes over the winter and get pretty fatigued with but i'm always interested in new planes especially if they're already built. i like the specs on this, it's pretty big and comes already built with a decent looking brushless motor and esc, so i can quickly get it flying. some of my planes take years to get built. also it's z-foam. the parkzone warbirds i think are nice looking models, but not that strong especially the wings. i've had the p51, which kept spinning and the wing folded, which was a shame as it flew otherwise pretty nicely, the spitfire, which i put a brushless outrunner in the stock gearbox and half the wing broke off on the second flight, and the fw190, whihc i've flown twice now, and that's pretty slow with the stock brushed motor, but flies ok and hasn't spun in yet. i'm not gonna buy anymore of the warbirds unless they're made of z-foam.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Xenogears

Do my eyes deceive me? Is that....landing gear??!!

Too cool. It's about time.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:42 PM
VictoryRoll-91

^^^I know really! Finally PZ figured landings are best on LANDING gear.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 PM
pie717

I have had the Hobbyzone Super Cub for about 5 months now. I have only crashed it two times breaking prop each time but breaking cowl in one. (you dont want to know how many times my dad has crashed his and what he paid to repair it) I fly at a park about 1000 feet away from my house. I recently bought an 8 cell pack adding a little power. I have wanted to upgrade to a faster more sporty plane for a while now. All I could find were planes that you had to buy the reciver,motor,servos,ect WAYYYYY TO MUCH FOR ME. (I'm only 13 give me a break) Planes to get working cost more than 500$ even when the plane was 50$. When I saw this I thought this was the best thing ever. It had all the feature the 600$ eflite planes had but it was better looking and cooler. I emediatly started saving. (Still doesn't come out to late june) I have enough money now and I'm tired or waiting for it to come out. I recently met a guy who gets together with other electric RC flyers at a field in back of the post office. He loked at the plane and said it was better than an electric f4f wildcat he worken on for almost a year. Well I'll send an update once I get it. By.

P.S. There's a video on the website now!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:51 PM
stockdaddy

Nice plane though i don't see how this be a good first plane trainer.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 AM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: stockdaddy

The full scale T28 Trojan was a primary training aircraft. The Parkzone model has plenty of built-in dihedral for self correction and stability. Having seen the Quicktime video that Parkzone put up on their website after my original post, their brushless power setup looks like it gets up and moves pretty fast if the pilot gives it full throttle. The landing characteristics look really good though, nice and slow and stable.

Using one of these to train on wouldn't be a whole lot different than using a Sig Four Star or Goldberg Tiger 2 as a trainer. If the student is buddy boxed with an instructor, this should be a good 4-channel plane to learn on.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:44 PM
ELTIGRE

news to me . sounds like a good seller. hope park zone does a good job on it.
the fullscale T-28 was actually an advanced trainer for the Air Force( A model) & later the Navy(B&C). as well as COIN fighter( D). full scale practices do not always tranlate well into modeling form.low wing will be more prone to damage & generally less stable although the Trojan has lots of dihedral.the full size bird is very stable& flies very well with enough power. but does not glide that well due to the big radial up front.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Bigtone

More Info Here!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5709888/tm.htm
Old 07-08-2007, 05:06 AM
jetmech05

I doubt this will be a good trainer... after all the AT-6 Texan, nor the T-34 Mentor make good trainers.
some gee whiz for ya I worked on T-28 B's and C's at Marine Corps Base Quantico in 1976. We had them for desk bound pilots to keep the profiecny up. The squadron was SOES Quantico and shared the air station with HMX
For those of you that know we had the very first 2 hangars the brick one on the left and the silver one on the right as you drove into the airstation
Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The web site states 'high performance". This is NOT an RC trainer, but a "scale" model of a full sized military trainer, not to be confused with something like a Nexstar, PT40, and so on. I would not recommend a new person to RC try to use this as a basic RC trainer.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:18 AM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

The web site states 'high performance". This is NOT an RC trainer, but a "scale" model of a full sized military trainer, not to be confused with something like a Nexstar, PT40, and so on. I would not recommend a new person to RC try to use this as a basic RC trainer.
Hehe, yeah, but it's marketed by the same company that wants you to believe an F-22 Raptor is an ideal first airplane. The marketing folks just figured the words "high performance" would sell more boxes than the phrase "low performance."

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the T-28 Trojan until the flight reports come in. It might be better suited as an electric sport plane, perhaps the next step after mastering the Hobbyzone Super Cub.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Major_Smackdown

I think this is a good candiate for a trainer if you have a training cord connected to an "instructor". otherwise probably a fine second plane. It actually has high performance as well as easy controlability. The stock setup doesn't give you any vertical climb outs but it does buzz the runway nice and quick. the landings are as easy and stall free as you could hope for. The stock radio sucks in my opinion - I bought 5 of these, and 3 I've flown so far are really interference prone. - yes the radio works but you should be in an ideal location. the elevator is a bit sensitive, and this baby can do tight inside loops and outside loops are larger or it gets a big squirrly. inverted is nece and gentle, just a little push on the down elevator. I've flown all sorts of planes and helis - and I'm really loving this T-28 as a "sport plane". with the stock prop you get 170 watts, I recommend the apc 10x10 thin electric - balance it first. I think you have to ream it out to 8mm as well. over 12 minutes of flight time and runs about 220 watts. I never flew the stock prop - but I think it's going to be a bit low on power - but probably high on flight time. this baby is a real joy to land over and over and over on a decent runway. it can take off in grass very well, and it does have a lot of down and right thrust so it doesn't torque over really much at all on take off. Highlights for me: 2 digital micro metal gear servos - nice hardware, nice color and graphics pre installed, large size for a foam airplane, on a calm day flies like a dream but handles a bit of wind too., landings on a smooth runway are way too much fun., included power system is great - and includes the 1800 3s - (27 amps) lipo and balancing charger. - flight ready in about 1/2 hour. I love it so much I got 3 for myself. my recommendation - ditch the radio before the plane, and get the apc 10x10 thin electric prop and have a blast.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:50 AM
F-15 Fan

I had the Decatholon, and that was fun to fly, although it broke in a crash.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: stockdaddy

The full scale T28 Trojan was a primary training aircraft. The Parkzone model has plenty of built-in dihedral for self correction and stability. Having seen the Quicktime video that Parkzone put up on their website after my original post, their brushless power setup looks like it gets up and moves pretty fast if the pilot gives it full throttle. The landing characteristics look really good though, nice and slow and stable.

Using one of these to train on wouldn't be a whole lot different than using a Sig Four Star or Goldberg Tiger 2 as a trainer. If the student is buddy boxed with an instructor, this should be a good 4-channel plane to learn on.
The Stearman was also a primary trainer but I shure wouldn't recommend it as an RC trainer.
There are quite a few Primary full scale trainers that don't come near serving the same function in an RC scale model.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Delta3

I went for a flight in a T28D on Saturday, was awesome, power, noise, oily and just wonderfull. At 7.30 am wasdoing barrell rolls over a range of mountains, oh what a feeling. Was an ex CIA plane that flew in Vietnam.There are 2 of them flying overhead a couple of days a week. They are just amazing

Have also built the small Nitro powered T28 from Black Horse and am nearly finished building a 91 size version. My son and I just love the Trojans

The small version is powered with a TT 54 fs and should go up in the next week or so. Its bigger brother with a TT91 FS is waiting for a servo reversing lead to finish off the flaps and is then ready to go.

Will keep you posted on on Trojans when the Birds leave the ground. As for the real thing if you ever get the opportunity have a flight. It is worth every cent
Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at Big Tone's Park Zone T-28 with his own creation of Flaps....this model exhibited an incident with a Smoked Brushless Motor and ESC that Park Zone provided......Toney installed his own Brushless and ESC plus an external BEC. The only thing he still uses from Park Zone is the 3-Cell, 1800mAH, 15C discharge, Li-POLYs and the charger that came with the RTF.

The Flaps he created just slows this RC Model and makes it look like the Full Size Aircraft!!!

Flight #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWIIrtdliRY

Flight #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK-5oK-idzg

Flight #3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNBpO0a_x6c
Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 PM
joco1

Received my trojan 2 weeks ago havnt been able to complete it yet because the y-harness for the alierons was missing i called and spoke with the guys at horizon hobbies they said they would send one out right away didnt come so i called back it was on back order for no reason, it was in stock all along....................17 days later i now have it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Been working so havnt installed yet!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's Big Tone's T-28 again and showing some in-flight pictures and look at those flaps!

His model slows down very scale like![X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84117.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	817316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75784.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	817317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11806.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	817318  
Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Cameldog

All,

I picked one up last week when I was in Florida!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Don't let the "Trainer" tag fool ya, this isn't by any means a plane for a beginner. Its fast, G-Darn fast and nimble!! With the HUGE brushless motor it took right off and hauled butt, double and tripple flips were not a problem, it handles great and for the $$$ you can't be upset at anything!! My last flight ended in a bad way [:@], broke the entire nose off, but with a little epoxy I was up again in 10 minutes [>:], the great part about the crash is the added weight made the plan fly even better. I'll be flying later today and will send pics and or video (If all goes well).

Cameldog
Old 05-19-2008, 01:49 AM
rusty gearz

I love this plane. Its basicly my third plain stepping up from the parkzone Cub, then P 51 mustang. Let me tell you I love this plane. I have always tryed to do inverted flight and crazy menuvers with my other planes but they just didn't have the power

The T-28 has the power, it has the flight time, and its incredibly stable in the air.

Landing gear/ steering nose wheel is A+++ im my book

Also if your have Realflight G3.5 you can download a really nice version of the park zone plane at the Knife edge Swap Page. I do most of my practice there, so when i go flying each week i feel very comfertable trying newly learned manuvers and tricks :P

[link]http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=125&sort=name&productfilter=&letter=P[/link]

my 2 cents, its EASILY worth the money with brushless and lipo GREAT PLANE
Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Rogue Sub

Default RE: Parkzone T28 Trojan: A new

I was sold this plane at the hobby store as a good trainer... I do not recommend it for that purpose. I can fly planes in real flight no problem but this bad boy is pretty fast and needs good airspeed to keep stable and aloft. I have crashed it quite a bit now and am coming to the conclusion a real trainer is necessary. I am excited for the day I can fly it though.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Parkzone T28 Trojan: A new

I trained someone on the hobbyzone cub first and then he moved on to this. The T-28 would have been to much as a first plane but he's doing fine as a second model.. Took it off and landed, etc himself first time out. I disagree on the speed of flight of needed... the Realflight version glides like a brick, and and we flew it there first in order to know what to expect... but in actuality it will land at a crawl and can fly quite slow if needed.