Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Older Saito FA80 help.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Older Saito FA80 help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 AM
N429EM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older Saito FA80 help.

I recently acquired an older model Saito FA80. The paperwork I got with it is limited. It's nothing like the manual, available for the newer model.

Does anyone happen to have an electronic version of the older manual, they would be willing to send me?

Also, my current predicament, I've tried a 7mm and an 8mm aluminum spinner nuts. Neither one fits. LHS couldn't determine the nut size from the sample I took in. Any owners know what size this is?

One more. Since this is my first 4-stroke, I'm a little green. Is it acceptable to jam the aluminum spinner against the prop nut? Or, is there a better solution for securing props to 4-strokes?

Thanks,
E J
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Older Saito FA80 help.

Check with the guys in the "Club Saito" thread... or post a new queston here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_114/tt.htm

I am not sure what you mean by jam the aluminium spinner against the prop nut???
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's the link to the online version of the manual for that engine. It covers most of the smaller Saitos, but it should have what you are looking for.
[link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/SAITO_Small-Medium_single_cylinder_Manual.pdf[/link]

According to [link=http://www.tru-turn.com]www.tru-turn.com[/link] website your engine should use a 7mm adapter.
[link]http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?exact_match=on&p_id=tt0717a&ppinc=adapt0717a0716a[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 04-20-2007, 10:50 AM
N429EM

Thanks, for the redirection, Mr67Stang.
I meant to write aluminum spinner nut.

Ken, thanks, but that manual does not cover the earlier models. The specifications are not the same as what I have.
Even the recommended props differ between that manual and the paperwork I got with the engine.
I bought a 7mm aluminum spinner nut at LHS, and it did not fit.

I've posted my ??? in Club SAITO. Maybe someone there has some insight.

Thanks, guys,
E J
Old 04-20-2007, 08:45 PM
delman

My saito instruction booklet was printed in 1995 for my ''new' 10 year old saito 91s. The part number is the same for the 80 as the 91. It is 7 mm but I had to run a 7x1 tap into the dubro spinner nut before it would go on the shaft - threads must have been a little off between the nut and shaft.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Simi Mike
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with the rest....I went out and measured the shaft on my twenty-something FA-80 and it is a 7mmX1.0.
Mike
P.S. Great engine!!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what information are you looking for that is not in the newer manual ?

The valve clearances are the same as well as the initial setting for the gap on the needle valve. The only thing not covered is the choke plate. On my GK80 I don't use the choke plate - just put your finger over the exhaust when priming the engine.

I suggest putting in the carb upgrade kit, the engine will run smoother. You may also want to consider using the newer muffler and manifold for easier installation, especially in cowled installations.