Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/6 WACO

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig 1/6 WACO

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Jay D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 1/6 WACO

Has anyone tried the new waco from SIG. I'm kinda new at this, just finished the Hanger 9 Corsair, looks great, hadn't flown her yet, almost their tho. I would love to try the waco, and Sig's Waco looks Great. Any advice or comments would help.

Thanks, Jay D
Old 04-20-2007, 05:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/6 WACO

Jay D,
The new Sig Waco is indeed a great looking plane, but only one problem with it. It's not in country yet. I talked with the Sig reps in Toledo last weekend and they say that it's supposed to be out later on this spring/early summer. So unfortunately there's not going to be anybody that's flown it yet. Hopefully they'll be in country soon as I'm sure there are lots of people like you that are anxious to fly this plane.

Ken
Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Jay D

Ken,
Thanks for the info. Sure hate to hear that tho. I've love the waco for ever and would love to get this one, but would be nice to have some feed back from someone. As I said, I'm a newbi but love to build.
Don't know who the best manuf. are but I know SIGs been around a long Time. I'm well pleased with the hanger 9 Corsair but don't think they have the Waco.

Jay D.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jay, look at the WACO that Cox has. The Sig model you're looking at is a WRE, it has an enclosed cabin and was a sort of "Cadillac" that would seat four people and had a cruise speed of over 150 kts.

The WACO that Cox has is a YMF (arguable, really a UMF), which is an open cockpit plane, and probably the prettiest of all the WACO's. It's available in both 1/6 and 1/5 scale. There are threads on both in the ARF forum, as well as a building thread on the Antiques forum. Check 'em out.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:12 PM
S. Christensen

JayD & khodges,
First, I wanted to let you know that the SIG Waco SRE ARF kit is being built as this message is being written. It is due to ship around the 15th of May and should arrive at SIG about the 15th of June. To all of you who have patiently been awaiting the availability of this beautiful model, we sincerely apologize for the delay. However, the delay was completely out of our hands.

Now a little correct history of the actual airplane might be interesting to some of you. The specific Waco SRE aircraft that the SIG kit was modeled after - NC1252W - was originally built by Waco as a Model E "Aristocrat", designated as a Waco HRE. When production of the Model E Aristocrat aircraft commenced in 1939, Waco offered four different engine options. Each engine option was identified by the factory with a 3-letter designation as follows:
ARE - 330hp Jacobs L-6MB, 7 cyl.
HRE - 300hp Lycoming R680-E3, 9 cyl.
SRE - 450hp Pratt & Whitney Wasp Jr. SB#, 9 cyl.
WRE - 420hp Wright R975-E3, 9 cyl.

The most popular of these engine options was the SRE with the powerful Pratt & Whitney 9 cyl. radial. In level flight the SRE could fly in a little in excess of 200 mph at full throttle and cruise a little less than this. This performance could be achieved while carrying 4 passengers and luggage. For the time, the Waco Aristocrat Model E aircraft were expensive, priced at anywhere between $14,000. to $19,000., depending on options and engine choices. Only 29 Model E aircraft were built between 1939 (the prototype rolled out in October of 1939) and February 1942. Production was ceased in February of 1942 to convert the Waco factory over to the production of the famous military cargo gliders.

Our orignial Waco HRE was among 15 Waco Aristocrat aircraft "drafted" by the USAAF for military purposes. The USAAF designated these aircraft as the UC-72 Light Transport. Our original HRE aircraft carried the military serial number of 42-68341. Seven of these "drafted" Model E aircraft survived the war and our particular Model E was sold to civilian ownership and registered as NC50857. It was then resold and re-registerd as N1252W. Mr. Claire Nutting then purchased this aircraft and registered it as NC1252W. Mr. Nutting rebuilt and re-engined the airplane with a Pratt & Whitney Wasp Jr. 9 cyl. radial, making it an SRE by definition. During the rebuild, Mr. Nutting gave his airplane a beautiful brilliant yellow overall paint scheme, with the typical Waco trim scheme done in gloss black with white pin-striping. Mr. Nutting owned and flew this drop-dead beautiful airplane for 34 years! Fortunately for all of us, this beautiful aircraft has been very well documented and part of this documentation is available from Bob Banka's Aircraft Documentation service in California - Photo Pack #5283. I used this documentation package, along with other very valuable information and photographs contained in the well-known and incredibly accurate International Plastic Modelers' Society (IMPS) Quarterly Publications; Fall 1982 and Winter 1982, in the development of SIG's Waco SRE ARF kit.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder but I firmly believe that even the ugliest Waco aircraft was none-the-less beautiful. And, in my humble opinion, the Waco SRE was truly one of the most beautiful of all Waco aircraft. I can also tell you without exaggeration that our SIG Waco SRE ARF model is maybe one of the absolute best scale model aircraft that I've had the pleasure of flying in my long career. It is honest in virtually any flight attitude and light and responsive on the sticks. In the air it is truly beautiful and I simply can't stop making those low, slow flap-down fly-bys. In the pits, let's just say that it never fails to draw a crowd.

I aplogize for interupting this thread but I wanted to make the above information available to anyone who might be interested in a truly beautiful and historic aircraft.
Scott Christensen
SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott,

What are the possibilities that this plane might be offered in kit form? I realize that it would require a total re-engineering of the model, but I would be the first in line to buy one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-22-2007, 08:03 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Scott,

What are the possibilities that this plane might be offered in kit form? I realize that it would require a total re-engineering of the model, but I would be the first in line to buy one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
And I might crowd him out of the way to get it myself. As well known as Sig is for the quality of their kits, it would be a real shame not to have this plane offered as a kit. As beautiful as the yellow/black scheme is, there are others also, and it should be "builder's choice" as to which one to do. At the very least, offer this ARF as an ARC also.

Feel free to "interrupt" any time with such great historic info. I like to know the history of all the scale aircraft I own and fly. All I have is scale models, and WWI and "Golden Age" are my favorites.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Jay D

Dear Scott,
Thanks so much for the info. Just don’t know how I’m going to wait that long for such a beautiful bird. I’m 63 years young and have loved the waco since I was a kid. We had a office across from the Addison (TEX) Airport and a gentleman their had one. I used to dream about getting in the pilot’s seat of that Plane (I’m a pilot) but never got the chance . Anyway I think Sig has out done its self with this one, and I can’ wait to be one of the first to own it. Keep us posted on the arrival date, praying it may get moved UP.
Thanks again, Jay D.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 PM
S. Christensen

Stickbuilder & Khodges,
Thanks for your nice replies. Honestly, I can't tell you at this time if SIG will get the Waco into kit form. I can fully appreciate your question as I have been, am and always will be a builder. But for now, I'm very well pleased with our Waco SRE effort and the resulting model. A ARC version of this airplane has been discussed here at SIG but no decision has been made. I think an ARC version has some merit and perhaps it "might" be pursued.

I have a question for both of you. I, as a lifelong "Wacophile", would dearly love to join the "WACO Brotherhood. How does one go about doing this?

JayD,
Thanks also for your nice message. Trust that I'll do whatever I can to speed up the delivery of our Waco models but the earlier information that I gave you is the way it sits at this time. Speaking of the real thing, I am a member of the Antique Aircraft Association in Blakesburg, Iowa and of course attend their annual Antique Fly-In for full-scale aircraft. Last summer at this event, I was privelged to see and crawl all over a Waco SRE that had flown in from Louisiana - NC58785, I believe. What a rush! This aircraft demonstrated beautifully the fit and finish of Waco aircraft in general and the SRE in particular. Man, what a nicely built and truly beautiful airplane! It's color was bright yellow with green trim & white pin-striping. In fact, that was the only problem with the airplane because for me personally, I just don't care for a yellow and green combination. That said, it was still a beautiful airplane. The other thing that struck me right away was the size of the thing! It is a very large airplane. Anyway, if you're only 63 years old and just getting started in R/C, I can practically guarantee you a very, very long life - this hobby has a very real way of keeping you young.
Scott Christensen
SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: S. Christensen

I have a question for both of you. I, as a lifelong "Wacophile", would dearly love to join the "WACO Brotherhood. How does one go about doing this?
You automatically qualify, because you love WACO's. The Master Chief (Stickbuilder) will give you a number. No secret handshakes or passwords.

Waco SRE that had flown in from Louisiana - NC58785, I believe. What a rush! This aircraft demonstrated beautifully the fit and finish of Waco aircraft in general and the SRE in particular. That said, it was still a beautiful airplane. The other thing that struck me right away was the size of the thing! It is a very large airplane.
Scott Christensen
SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.
I'll say large. The 1/6 version Sig is coming out with is the same (almost) wingspan as the 1/5 scale YMF, and it's big for a bipe also.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:19 PM
ag4ever

My mouth is just watering thinking about a SIG Waco SRE kit.

Can we start a thread to convince you to make the Waco SRE kit like RCKen got great planes to re-release the ultra sports?

I am kit no. 3
Old 04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
khodges

I'm gonna have one, ARF, ARC, kit, whatever. I'd rather build it myself, but if no kit......well, I'll just have to make the ARF into an RTRC (ready to re-cover), as it deserves fabric, nice as the factory cover might be. Solartex would be just right.

Scott, would a G-20 fly this plane okay, you think, or a G-26 be better? I feel the -20 will fit better, given how the -26 fits in the YMF.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
S. Christensen

khodges,
Many thanks for my pending induction into the hallowed Waco Brotherhood. Trust that I'll flaunt my membership relentlessly to my fellow modeling buds! By the way, thanks for letting me know that there are no additional hoops to jump through for this honor. At my age I have a tough time remembering car keys let alone a secret handshakes, et al.

Seriously though, I have to tell you that I'm flying my personal Waco SRE with a Saito 1.00 four-stroke. In my opinion, this engine is just about the perfect powerplant for the Waco and it is indeed featured in the Assembly Manual as the engine of choice. I can cruise comfortably at about 1/3rd throttle or so, at nice looking scale-like speeds. At full throttle, the airplane will pull just about any size loop you'd like. Icing on the cake is the wonderful 4-stroke sound coupled with the look of the model - for me, it's a genuine symphony for the ears and eyes.

I do not have either a G-20 or a G-26 to measure or weigh so I would be uncomfortable "guessing". But I can tell you that I am swinging a 15 x 6 prop on my Saito 1.00 and probably getting something like 9200 rpm or so. The Saito 1.00 - complete with the flex header and stock muffler - weighs 20 oz. I can also tell you that I did not have to reorganize anything in the fuselage to achieve the suggested 29% CG location. I can also tell you that the practical inside diameter of the fiberglass cowl is 7-1/2" and the distance from the firewall to the rear surface of the spinner backplate is 5-1/2". I would think that this information would give you some idea as to what will and what will not fit into the cowl. When I was setting up my Waco, the big deal for me was to try keeping the cowl as free from further openings as possible. The Saito 1.00 installation only required two small elliptical openings for the valve boxes and a small diameter hole for the needle valve extension. This left that beautiful cowl looking just like it should.

I hope the above information is of some help.
Scott

Old 04-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Stickbuilder

Scott,

Welcome to the WACO Brotherhood. If you will look in the Vintage and Antique forum, you will find the newest post on page 84 that gives the list of the Brothers. You will find your name there. Thanks for at least considering kitting the SRE. I personally like the YMF (not the UMF) best. To date, all teh so-called YMF versions that have been kitted, or ARFed have actually been the UMF version. That's right, they have all been mislabeled. The UMF utilizes the paired blisters on the cowl due to the design of the Continental radial. The YMF uses the evenly spaced blisters for the Jacobs radial. (Nit-picky ain't I???) Here is my latest version of the YMF (another one is on the building table) Scott, I wish you would come over to the YMF forum in Vintage and Antiques, and join us there.

Oh, by the way, You are now officially WACO Brother # 42. Will you be coming to Top Gun this year? If so, I will try to see you there.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28762.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	672420  
Old 05-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Jay D

Bill, I also am a "Wacophile", ( Scott, Great Word) and would love to be a member of this club. As I said before, I'm almost complete with my 1/6 Corsair and I love the Corsair, but to me the Waco is in a world by its self. I just bought a Waco Build by one of our Club members. Its from a Pica Kit, 1/6 Scale, Good building job, but need wheel pants, not sure where to get these or plans to build them. I had to have a Waco and when I seen this one I grabbed it. Scott I,m still going to be one of the FIRST to get the new Sig when it does come out, the wait is killing me!!!!!
Thanks, Jay D.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Stickbuilder

Jay,

The Brotherhood info is found on the Vintage and Antique forum, under WACO YMF. Inqquire there, and I will issue you a number

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Jay D

This Waco I bought has a Magum XL .91 4 strock, What kind of RPMs should I be looking for? High & Low for tuning the engine. Also how can I get the manual on this engine?
Thanks, Jay D.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006108

Well it aint the SIG, but this Cox Waco is already out & available. We have 4 of them at our field now & they are real sweet looking ARFs, & excellent flyers too! My friends that own them just love them. They really sound good with the gas engines in them too. Just an all around nice airplane!! I don't know what the price of the SIG will be but at $379 this one aint too bad.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006108

Well it aint the SIG, but this Cox Waco is already out & available. We have 4 of them at our field now & they are real sweet looking ARFs, & excellent flyers too! My friends that own them just love them. They really sound good with the gas engines in them too. Just an all around nice airplane!! I don't know what the price of the SIG will be but at $379 this one aint too bad.
I saw this bird when I was interviewing the Cox booth for the RCU Magazine, it's a sweet looking airplane that's for sure.

Ken
Old 05-14-2007, 11:42 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Jay D
This Waco I bought has a Magum XL .91 4 strock, What kind of RPMs should I be looking for? High & Low for tuning the engine. Also how can I get the manual on this engine?
Thanks, Jay D.
Download the manual from http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/210970.asp
My Magnum 91 RFS turns a 14x6 prop around 9500 (a bit rich) using fuel with 10% nitro. My brother uses fuel with 15% nitro and gets around 600 rpm more (also running rich) with the same prop. We have not tried other props because we've been really happy with the 14x6.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Didg

Scott,

How well would you think it would fly with an RCV 91CD.
It should fit in to the cowl ok without protruding anywhere and it'll pull a 14x8 ok, I've not tried a 15x6.

When it does arrive, are there any coming to the UK do you know?

Cheers,
Didg.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Waco Kid

Hello fellow WACOphiles, First of all I'm new to RC universe hopefully I can learn from some of you veterans. I have been conversing with Scott C. at SIG via e-mail since this plane came out and cannot say enough about how much help he has been, I'm waiting patiently for my new WACO. I purchased a foto-pak fron Bob Banka and it shows alot of detail. I would like to make this plane as close to scale as possible so I ask you; Where can I get stuff for the interior ei; seats, dashboard, and the steering wheel that's in this plane? Does anybody know? Thanks for any info you have. wayne
Old 06-22-2007, 03:17 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Waco Kid

Hello fellow WACOphiles, First of all I'm new to RC universe hopefully I can learn from some of you veterans. I have been conversing with Scott C. at SIG via e-mail since this plane came out and cannot say enough about how much help he has been, I'm waiting patiently for my new WACO. I purchased a foto-pak fron Bob Banka and it shows alot of detail. I would like to make this plane as close to scale as possible so I ask you; Where can I get stuff for the interior ei; seats, dashboard, and the steering wheel that's in this plane? Does anybody know? Thanks for any info you have. wayne
I doubt you'll find anything ready-made in the way of interior. What's wrong with scratch-building it? There's a lot of good builders here that are happy to share techniques and ideas. The other thing to consider in detailing the cockpit of a plane in this scale: sometimes this space is required for the Rx, servos and/or batteries to achieve proper balance, and you're limited by what you have to put where. Don't get me wrong, I think putting the scale cockpit in the SRE would look great, considering how beautiful it is, but from a practical standpoint, the only way to see it will be through the windscreen, as the windows are all under the top wing.

Just to get into the swing of things, think terminology: dashboard and steering wheel are good if you're talking Studebaker or Hudson, but instrument panel and yoke is more correct for WACO For some great interior (cabin, cockpit) photos, look on the Antique and Classic forum under the WACO YMF thread. Skylarkmk1 and I have posted pictures from the WACOphile's dream. Look on pages 110-current for the shots.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 PM
mcadamsp

Would having two WACO's qualify my for the WACOphiles club. I have had my Sportsman Aviation Sport Waco 60 for about 3 1/2 years now and just upgraded it to a Zenoah G20ei motor and I just finished the Sig WACO SRE with a Zenoah G26. It balanced out perfectly. I was a kit builders back in the late 60's early 70's then I was stricken with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. That has limited my ability to work on kits but the coming of age on ARF's has been a God sent for me as I can handle the larger parts and it does not take me 3 years to put it together..

Here are my babies

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36097.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	738997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19711.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	738998  
Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: mcadamsp

Would having two WACO's qualify my for the WACOphiles club.
All you need for membership is a love of Waco's of any type. I've also got the Sportsman UPF, it's a bit worse for wear and needs some TLC, but it surely is a fun plane to fly. I have a 1.00 Saito in it. Have you flown your SRE yet? I'd love to know how the G-26 works in this plane. I may get one eventually, and had thought of the G-20 for it. The -26 is probably way plenty of power, I'm using a G-26 in my 1/5 UMF Waco; it weighs over 18 pounds and the engine is a good match for it. My next Waco project is a 1/5 scale UPF kit from Ikon, and I'll also use a G-26, although for appearance sake, I may go with a Roto 25 or something similar. I plan to have an exposed dummy radial, and the Roto has a rear carb, less stuff to try and hide. Join us over on the Antiques forum, you're a Brother!

Is that a GeeBee-Y and Rearwin Speedster in the background of your Sportsman pic? Love those planes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.