Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Magnum XLS 46---good engine or waste of money?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Magnum XLS 46---good engine or waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:03 AM
garland66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XLS 46---good engine or waste of money?

I bought a new Magnum XLS 46 for my also new Phoenix Extra 300S. I hope this engine runs OK. I have read mixed reviews on it. Please post any comments on experience with this engine. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Magnum XLS 46---good engine or waste of money?

Great little engine, just be sure to break in according to directions, no 4 stroking. Global Hobby Services are the greatest so don't worry about support problems.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Great engine, watch the remote needle valve though, they tend to leak air.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:16 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got three of them and have never regretted the choice one time on the 46XLS. Been running them for years with no problems and lots of power. I did have a 52XLS that gave trouble in midrange throttle but, Global stepped right up to the plate and replaced the engine no questions and this engine was about two years old.
I cannot in anyway complain about the Magnums. I also run Tower Hobbies and Saitos and have had no problems. I do have an OS40LA that is pretty weak but, to be fair, the engine was bought used and is several years old.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 AM
blkz2801

Im having a problem with XLS 46. I cant get the ting to idle. I want it to idle so that the model doesnt move. It just cuts out. I did the breakin to what the instructions say and it still wont idle[&o]. Anyone have any ideas in to y?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
blkz2801

Also there is fuel running out of the screw on the muffler. I tried tighting it but i donno. It didnt work
Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I've been very happy with my Magnum 2-strokes, but they're not O.S. engines. The remote needle valve assemblies tend to leak air, I usually just bypass them. The engines vibrate quite a bit, especially when new, so you need to use lock-tite on the muffler screws to keep the muffler from falling off in flight.

As far as a low, reliable idle, that will take at least a half a gallon of fuel through the engine before it will settle in. Just keep your idle set high enough so the engine will stay running and restrain the plane until taxi and takeoff. After five or ten good full-throttle flights, you'll be able to start dialing the idle back bit by bit.

Fuel running out of the muffler screw is also not unusual. I have a Magnum XLS .52A that I'm flying a lot right now that seems to drip exhaust oil from every seam in the muffler assembly. The muffler is as tight as I can bolt it together, but it still leaks and the exhaust tip actually spins around while the engine is at full throttle. When it turns in and points against the fuselage, my whole plane ends up lousy thick with castor oil all over it.

I am told that the Tower Hobbies muffler http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJB16&P=ML fits the Magnum XLS .46A, and it should cure the fuel leaks and even give a slight performance boost. I'll probably try one on my XLS .52A sometime.

That's the difference between a $60 engine and a $110 engine. The $110 engine doesn't leak through the muffler seams and the remote needle valve assembly works. Both engines are strong, reliable, and powerful once broken in and tuned properly. It's merely a question of whether or not you want to spend the extra $50 to avoid the quirks and minor inconveniences. I run both Magnum and O.S. engines and I like them both. The Magnums are just going to require a little more maintenence from time to time. My GMS engines have been the same way.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

BLKZ

I have not noticed the problem you describe with the 46XLS. The 52s however are known for what you describe. Adjust your high needle until the engine peaks out then back the needle off until the RPM drops 250 RPM. If you run high idle be sure to check your fuel lines for tight fitting. You don't want them loose as air will leak in causing the engine to run fast. If you have know air leaks, I would normally tell you to turn the low speed needle out not over a 1/4 turn. But since you say it appears to be flooding out the muffler at idle, I would try backing the low speed needle out a 1/4 turn first and retest your idle. If it is worse or no improvement then turn it back to where it was then go in the 1/4 turn and retest. I know this is hunting,,, buit this way you may see for sure which way helps your idle issue. Also, when complete you will have to retune your high speed needle. Avoid turning the lowspeed jet very much at a time as it is very sensitive. After the 1/4 turn adjustments on the low speed and you determine which direction helps your idle, you can make additional low speed adjusments at 1/8 turn increments to fine tune the low speed.

Forgive me if you have already performed this procedure, I,m just trying to help with this suggestion incase you have not tried this. I usually try to avoid adjusting the lowspeeds on the 2 strokes but on occasion it is necessary.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 PM
donhef

I've got 2 XLS 46's and I love them, once they get broken in and you get past the leaks (use red RTV sealant!). They are also GREAT parts for the internal side of the OS 46FX engines. I have had to replace the piston/liner assemblies in both of my 2 46fx's one I did with a Performance Parts ABC set up, then I got the tip from a fellow RCU'er abt the parts of the XLS 46 being an almost exact copy (same designer went from OS to Magnum, believe it or not!). I ordered and replaced them and that 46FX runs great, with even MORE power. Cheap engine? Maybe, but I'll tell you what. I'll get another one, no questions asked!

Happy Flying!

Don
Old 04-25-2007, 12:53 PM
BigBadJon

I personally havent had any real problems with any of my magnum engines.
have 2 magnum 46s.. great little engines
1 magnum 52... awesome engine
1 magnum 61.. good/decent
1 magnum 91. good
1 1.20 4 stroke.. have yet to start it heh. still working on the plane

i jumped up on pipes for the 52 and the 46s.. magnum 52 with jettstream muffler will make you drool. the 46s i put tower mufflers on. get a smaller performance boost. but the price makes up for it lol.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:56 PM
blkz2801

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

BLKZ

I have not noticed the problem you describe with the 46XLS. The 52s however are known for what you describe. Adjust your high needle until the engine peaks out then back the needle off until the RPM drops 250 RPM. If you run high idle be sure to check your fuel lines for tight fitting. You don't want them loose as air will leak in causing the engine to run fast. If you have know air leaks, I would normally tell you to turn the low speed needle out not over a 1/4 turn. But since you say it appears to be flooding out the muffler at idle, I would try backing the low speed needle out a 1/4 turn first and retest your idle. If it is worse or no improvement then turn it back to where it was then go in the 1/4 turn and retest. I know this is hunting,,, buit this way you may see for sure which way helps your idle issue. Also, when complete you will have to retune your high speed needle. Avoid turning the lowspeed jet very much at a time as it is very sensitive. After the 1/4 turn adjustments on the low speed and you determine which direction helps your idle, you can make additional low speed adjusments at 1/8 turn increments to fine tune the low speed.

Forgive me if you have already performed this procedure, I,m just trying to help with this suggestion incase you have not tried this. I usually try to avoid adjusting the lowspeeds on the 2 strokes but on occasion it is necessary.
I dont know if i have a air leak, i hope not. I just checked the motor and there just alittle play in the HSN. The engine came with the HSN in the regular place and i had to convert it to the remote location. I hope this motor will idle soon
Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM
blkz2801

Also, as much as the carb is open, the motor should be running a idle, but it feels like 1/4 throttle
Old 04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
JPMacG

Mine is not so great. First one would not shut off. Sent it back to Hobby Services. They very promplty sent me a new one (excellent service). Unfortunately that one doesn't shut off either. I flew it for about a year then started to have trouble with leaking at the needle valve. Fixed that with teflon tape. Now I think one of the bushings on the wrist pin is starting to go.

Unless you are really strapped for money, I recommend you go with a Thunder Tiger or OS instead. The money you save on the Magnum is not worth the headaches.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
rcdivot

If it runs anything like an OS 46 AX you're gonna love it!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Sneasle

I have one of these engines as well. I have mine on an Avistar and it runs quite well. Break it in correctly. I would recommend using a castor based fuel for the break in. Mine runs very well. It starts on the first flip and idles very very well. The throttle transition is also quite good.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

I had a magnum .46. Ran PERFECT for 10 gallons and then it ran away with my plane.

The only major drawback of lower priced engines for me has been that they are heavy. I don't think it makes much difference until you start 3D or practicing aerobatics.

I don't fly much glow anymore....mostly gas.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 AM
A6Ordie

I bought one just about a month ago. 60 bucks so what the heck. Broke it in as per instructions and this thing runs great, it idles well, transitions well. Was a bit hard to get started the first time. . Pulls a 7.5lb Spad around no problem with an 10x6 MAS prop. I imagine with a 11x6 APC it will jump a bit in performance. I liked the engine so much I got another for my Mach II Skyraider

I broke it in with Omega with synthetic ( its all I had ) and just ran it really really rich the first few tanks. Then just lean it a touch each tank after.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Sneasle

i put two different fuels through mine. I used both omega and cool power. Both were 15%, but I did run the synthetic slightly richer.

I am very happy with the engine. The manual recommends castor, but you should be ok as long as your oil content is high enough. Just adjust it properly so it doesn't go lean in the air. Best to run it on the rich side.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:16 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

ORIGINAL: blkz2801

Also, as much as the carb is open, the motor should be running a idle, but it feels like 1/4 throttle

blkz
Sorry for the delay in response, My Grandmother passed away tis week and my wife had surgery yesterday. As a result, I have not been on the computer in a few days but things are settling down now.

Back to the issue at hand,,, I was just thinking about your previous statement and remembered having one of my older engines with a high idle. It turned out to be a leaking o-ring on the base of the carb where it slips into the engine housing. The o-ring had cracked with age. I replaced the o-ring and it fixed my problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:24 PM
blkz2801

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

ORIGINAL: blkz2801

blkz
Sorry for the delay in response, My Grandmother passed away tis week and my wife had surgery yesterday. As a result, I have not been on the computer in a few days but things are settling down now.

Back to the issue at hand,,, I was just thinking about your previous statement and remembered having one of my older engines with a high idle. It turned out to be a leaking o-ring on the base of the carb where it slips into the engine housing. The o-ring had cracked with age. I replaced the o-ring and it fixed my problem.

Hope this helps.

Well I went out to the flying field today to see if anyone could help me with this problem. A very nice guy helped me for 2 1/2 hours and still couldnt get it to idle right. Well he said if i went out to his house, that he would swap my 46 for his os40 So i did and now she idles!!!! We set all the throws and even balanced her on his cg machine. Im going to fly her with him 2morrow, i cant wait!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

blkz

Sorry you could not get the Magnum to perform propperly. I've had goo luck with mine as a whole. If you've had yours less than two years send it to global. They have excellent customer service and I would be supprised if they did not replace it for you. Nevertheless I'm glad you got your plane lined out . Hope you enjoy your flight.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

Does anyone know if the cylinder/liner sleeve and piston from a magnum 46 will fit into a OS 46 FX crankcase?
How about rod length and wrist pin/rod diameters?
Tia
Red Baron Gary
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
bigedmustafa

I've heard that folks have bought Magnum engines as parts donors for their O.S. FX engines. There have been different revisions to both the O.S. and Magnum lines over the years, so I certainly wouldn't be able to tell you which parts match with which engine models.

You might try the glow engines forum, and see if one of the resident experts like Ed Cregger or Hobbsy can help you out with specific information:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_114/tt.htm
Old 05-09-2007, 08:52 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I find that even the cheapest engines on the market will run well when properly broke in & tuned by an experienced flyer. I've heard more people bad mouth my Tower .46 PRO engine yet a friend tuned it to a good idle & transition on the ground in about all of 3 minutes. Then I broke it in up in the air. It's never skipped a beat since & will out power my OS engines hands down!! It's got about 2 yrs on it now & more flying time than any of my other engines & is still the strongest running .46 size engine of the bunch. That includes an OS .46 FXI, an OS .46 AX. & an OS .46 LA. That cheap Tower engine will run circles around all of them. It keeps up just fine with my Tiger Shark .56 too!
Old 05-13-2007, 05:31 PM
dlan

What type (color) loc-tite are you using...?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.