Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FLYING TIMER

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FLYING TIMER

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLYING TIMER

I don't know where to post this as it isn't a beginner's question really but I can not find a flight timer to keep track of my flights. I have checked Wal-Mart, hardware stores, etc. but can not find anything other than these huge cooking timers that are much too big.

I was just wondering what you guys use to time your flights and where you got it from? I am looking for a simple timer (NOT WATCH) that can be clipped to a pocket or such that is no bigger than an average watch. So what do you use?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: FLYING TIMER

I use the baking timer from Wal-Mart. It's got a clip on it that you can clip to your pocket. I set it for the time of the flight that I want and it beeps when I should land. My Airtronics RD6000 and my new JR X9303 both have countdown timers built into them. Some watches have countdown timers on them, but you'll just have to look for one that has it. I used to use one on my watch, but it's awkward to hold the radio in one hand and try to reach across to the watch and start the timer. If you're dead set against using a cooking timer your choices are pretty limited. I used one for about 7 years now, so I don't see what's wrong with using one.

Ken
Old 05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Almost every computer radio on the face of the Earth has a built in flight timer and most will trigger an alarm at a pre-set time interval to warn you when to land. Since I can't vouch for every computer radio on the face of the Earth, I will only state definitively that my Futaba 7C has a built-in timer.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the instructors has a timer that tells you in voice , how much time you have left. I thought at first it sounded weird, but after seening it work , it was pretty cool.
He gave me the website, but I can`t find it , but will do some digging an post a link. Who would of thought.? a talking timer , female voice , thru me a curve ball, I was craning my neck around looking for someone that was`nt there. Sound like one of my old girlfriends. Never could turn my back on her.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Almost every computer radio on the face of the Earth has a built in flight timer and most will trigger an alarm at a pre-set time interval to warn you when to land.
Heh. I dunno about that. Most of the current models, perhaps, but not the low-end models and not most of the older models.

Where I work, we got little belt-clip timers that might work well. Where would you find them? Office supply catalogs? Perhaps sporting goods stores? They'd probably clip onto a transmitter pretty easily. Or you get one without a clip, and glue it to something you can clip onto your transmitter.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
bigedmustafa

Hence my next statement:

"Since I can't vouch for every computer radio on the face of the Earth, I will only state definitively that my Futaba 7C has a built-in timer."

Besides, I thought everyone on the face of the planet had already bought DX7s, and the DX7 has a timer on it.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
bruce88123

I don't use one. Who needs it? Got an easy to use one in my 7UAFS but seldom set it. I just fly til I feel like landing of the tank runs dry, whichever comes first.

Ya'll scared of dead sticks or something? Just another fun challenge,

Carry more fuel than you need and land before you run out. Simple.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine from Radio Shack. Glued a clothes pin to the back and I clip it to my antennae.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Almost every computer radio on the face of the Earth has a built in flight timer and most will trigger an alarm at a pre-set time interval to warn you when to land. Since I can't vouch for every computer radio on the face of the Earth, I will only state definitively that my Futaba 7C has a built-in timer.

My Futaba 9CAP supper has a really neat timer system. One you can set to start timing on throtle up. You can set them for count up. count down, total time on a model, just about anything you could want. Well one thing is missing, Volume. My hearing isn't the best and even setting at my desk, I can't hear the thing. I can hear my buddys JR go off when I'm flying next to him, but not mine. I ended up using one of the old clock work bell timers. Wind it up and set it to 12 minutes and when it went "DING". you had time to get back to the field and blow at least two landings before really needing to get it down. With the 4* I'm flying now, I can get close to 18 minutes at near full throtle on the bench, so I get tired, or to wound up to ever run out of fuel with it. For now anyway.

Don
Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Alex7403

Hi Tigerdude,

I was thinking to take an old digital wrist watch with a timer, take the band of and to glue it on my new tower hobbies 6XM transmitter on top of the tower logo.

This is what I like about this less expansive transmitter, I wont feel 14 channels bad when it will catch a scratch… [8D]

Alex
Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 AM
oldman1958

hi
I wear a Casio digital watch, I call it flying watch, It has a count down timer function, and most important of all, you have a choice to hear the beep or feel the vibration in your hand waist when time is up. You know, I don't have eyes on the watch during flying nor somtimes it is too noisy that I can't hear the beep so vibration alert is a perfect match to me. I've been wearing it for years.

Hope you can have one too

Old 05-09-2007, 04:10 AM
belgarath

I was just going to read but...you have a cell phone?... they have alarms in them...just a thought
Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Dsegal

I also use the 7C transmitter but the flight timer, which I have set for throttle up above idle, does not tell me the total flight time of thermal hunting models. For that I clip a Radio Shack digital timer to the antenna which gives total flight time while the transmitter timer keeps track of run time of the (electric) planes's power pack.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Look a little harder at Wally-World in the kitchen appliances. It took me awhile to find it but I did find a nice little digital timer there. It's about a 2 1/2 in square by less than a 1/2 in thick. Small & flat enough to attach to the back of my radio if I want to with velcro or double sided tape. It takes a couple of small AAA batteries & seems to do the trick quite nicely.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
The Toolman

If yer just starting to learn, believe me, you'll be ready to land/let the teacher take over an land before most planes ever think about running out of fuel.

I was so nervous when I started, 8-10 minutes had me wore to a frazzle. I usually had 1/2 or better tank of fuel left in my plane.

Ronnie
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

timers?..in wallyworld there everywhere,,,in the kitchen section,,in the bicycle section, for tiny clocks/timers for the handlebars,, in sporting goods,,look up the stopwatches that hang around your neck ,,in the exercise section, timers for doing workouts...but I prefer the instant rush of a deadstick (a good thing cause I have some sucky engines)...so I dont care how long the flight is, I fly a lot of 1/2A , planes too small for landing gear that run an average of 3 minutes and deadstick everytime...Rog
Old 05-09-2007, 10:45 AM
sw1241
My Feedback: (1)

Bed Bath and Beyond, have a bunch on the wall, epoxy a clothes pin on the back, good to go,
Old 05-15-2007, 06:59 PM
garyo1954

Thought about this thread today when I checked my real mail. AARP sent a free gift for comparing insurance rates.

The free gift is a pedometer, with a clock, COUNTDOWN TIMER, and calorie burner. It's shaped like a half moon, small and lightweight to clip on your belt. And it buzzes when the timer reaches zero.

I don't know if this offer was for members only are for anyone comparing rates.
If you are still looking for one, you could google their homepage.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

got my timer from Radio shack it had a clip on the back that worked pretty good after dropping it a couple of times the clip snapped off so I just use a rubber band on it to hook it to my radio has a nice and loud beep, I like landing under power.
its pretty small about 2.5sq X1/2 like elenasgrumpy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56227.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	685254  
Old 05-15-2007, 07:22 PM
LT-40

I use my cell phone. It has a good timer on it, and I can set it to vibrate or sound. Both work well.

LT-40