Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:06 AM
TopherGreen81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Build

Well I was moving a little slow for a build thread on my Seniorita so here is what I have so far. I am about to order the electronics and the engine in the next few days. Any suggestions on the engine will be great. The pictures aren't that great took them with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55721.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	680757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47125.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	680758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55495.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	680759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv61063.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	680760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn77132.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	680761  
Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: First Build

Will you have ailerons?
If no, then I would go with a OS 25.
If yes, I would go with a 40 engine.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 AM
TopherGreen81

I have thought alot about the ailerons but it being my Trainer I don't know if it would be a good idea.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 AM
pt40crasher

An airplane with ailerons will be more useful to you in the long run, I think. You could always build them and imobilize them until you think you are ready. .02
Old 05-09-2007, 11:15 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, put on ailerons. There is absolutely no reason to leave them off and they actually make the plane easier to fly.

DO use an instructor. I would say that with or without ailerons.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
hogflyer

I guess I view ailerons on a trainer differently than most. Having learned on 3-ch, and still having several 2 and 3 channel powered planes and gliders in the stable, I see nothing wrong with building it 3-channel if that makes you feel more comfortable. The Kadet series started off 3-ch and they fly great that way. Just do what your comfortable with and don't let anybody here pressure you into something you don't really want.

I also train people with aileron equipped planes and find, to me at least, it doesn't matter. Student's I've trained on rudder/elevator planes have had no issues flying aileron equipped planes.

And make sure you have an instructor to train you, and especially do the maiden flight.

Hogflyer
Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 AM
pt40crasher

By all means do what you want to!

Sincerely,

Crasher
Director of Fun
Old 05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
jollycub
My Feedback: (5)

Senioritas are a nice airplane. I had a Seniorita without ailerons and it flew well. A friend of mine gave me a damaged wing from a Seniorita that he had. With the help of the LHS, I put ailerons on it and flew it. I never flew airplane with the wing without the ailerons on it again. The ailerons made a world of difference, even with the dihedral.
A funny thing about the wing we put the ailerons on, when we stripped the old covering off of the wing, we noticed several pieces of lead screwed on one side of the wing. We didn't think a whole lot about it, and the hobby shop owner counted ribs to cut for the ailerons. We cut both ailerons the same size, and when we tried to fit them on, one of them wouldn't fit. Upon further review, one side of the wings had one more rib than the other. (Come to think about it, I should have named it Adam and Eve). That was the reason for the lead weight. And it still flew very well.
Like the gentleman above me said, "Do what makes you comfortable", but the ailerons sure help. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 PM
TopherGreen81

The only site that I have found on putting ailerons on my plane doesn't really have much detail about what to do. This is the only reason I'm worried about putting them on, I don't have enough expierence to just wing it(no pun intended). So if anyone has any detailed info I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks
Chris

Here is the site http://users.adelphia.net/~pjburke1011/kadflap.htm
Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
B.L.E.

With or without ailerons, the Senorita is a great flying plane. If you are going to go 3-channel, use the right stick on the xmitter for the rudder and fly it as if the rudder is ailerons. All you have to do is plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel of your reciever.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
TopherGreen81

Alright more questions my instructions say optional sidethrust, should I use side thrust or not? Also the LE of the wing is not sheeted would it be a good idea to sheet or should I just leave it as is? Thanks for all the help guys. I hope to have a finshed plane to show you all in a week or so.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:23 AM
bruce88123

You never told us, that I saw, what engine you were going to use. The bigger the engine, the more you need engine sidethrust.

Wing sheeting? I'd say no. Especially at this point. There is more involved than just slapping on some sheeting. It has to start and stop somewhere. Then it needs to be blended in at the leading edge. Then you may need cap strips to make it look right. Then the trailing edge is too thin. Then the ailerons, if used, don't fit right again. All this needs to be planned in earlier for best fit. My .02 anyway.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
TopherGreen81

Sorry bout that, I am using the O.S. .25 FX and no ailerons for now.
Thanks
Chris
Old 05-11-2007, 10:37 AM
bruce88123

Nothing to be sorry about.

A little side thrust never hurts.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:32 AM
pt40crasher

At this point in your build, your wing looks good so I say you go with 3 channels and save the ailerons for the next build. It would suck to ruin the wing trying to cut ailerons if you are not exactly sure of the plan. Good looking airplane and I;m interested to here about your 1st flights. Worry about side thrust later. It is as simple as adding washers between your eng. mount and firewall. Good luck!

Crasher
Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM
TopherGreen81

Ok I am now at the covering stage of my build. I have watched the videos that MinnFlyer made very helpful but still little gun shy on this. So my question is, is there anyone in the Huntsville,AL area that would be willing to show me personally, using all my tools so you would just have to bring yourself, how to cover properly? I may be just worrying to much but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks to any who reply.
Chris
Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM
TopherGreen81

PLease tell me the hardest part to cover is the wing tips. I am so frustrated I have ran out of curse words bout an hour ago my finger tips are burnt to extra golden crisp and I only got a part of one wing tip done. Does it get easier or do I need to stock the frig with COLD BEER to settle the nerves?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Schultz
My Feedback: (1)

The more covering you do, the easier it will get. But the cold beer still sounds like a good idea.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:34 PM
telejojo

it gets easy after you have done a couple,don't worry to much about what it looks like it will fly and you can always take it off and do it again.Do you you fly at RCRC? I flew all mourning and it was HOT,but that is better than cold..............
Old 06-24-2007, 12:51 AM
nailbenderdude

I built the Seniorita this spring, "stock", without ailerons. She flies great. I put the rudder on the right stick(aileron). I used an OS .25LA, which seems to pull her around fast enough for me.....as long as the wind is under 15mph. Otherwise, she likes to "hover" against the wind, and trying to land is pretty nerve-wracking. She doesn't want to come back down.
If you want to build a wing with ailerons (like I do), Sig sells a stock wing kit you can modify with the ailerons. Just remember to cut the dihedral by at least half.
Good luck!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 AM
TopherGreen81

ORIGINAL: telejojo

it gets easy after you have done a couple,don't worry to much about what it looks like it will fly and you can always take it off and do it again.Do you you fly at RCRC? I flew all mourning and it was HOT,but that is better than cold..............
I Plan on flying at RCRC I have talk to them and wayne is going to train me I hope. Maybe I will see you out there. Here is what I got done on the wing so far I think I am going to put a large yellow strip in the middle but I think thats an ok job for the first try.

Name:	Rp43002.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	710549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82174.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	710550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16051.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	710551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke92008.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	710552  
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 AM
TopherGreen81

more pics

Name:	Om33787.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	710553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25717.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	710554  
Old 06-25-2007, 08:21 AM
bruce88123

I usually do the center section first but your wing is doing fine. Slug down a couple of more beers and keep on going.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Spitfire222

From the pictures, it looks like you're doing fine! Here's a little tip: you might consider trimming off that 1/4 inch or so of clear material that is at the edge of the Monokote. (I noticed it in one of the wing pictures) It makes for a cleaner covering job. Be sure to have plenty of #11 blades and single-edge razor blades available, as Monokote tends to dull blades quickly, and having sharp blades helps to make clean cuts.

Also, you might consider putting stripes on the bottom of the wing only instead of a stripe that goes around the entire chord of the wing so that you can differentiate the top and bottom of the plane in flight.

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 AM
TopherGreen81

ORIGINAL: Spitfire222

From the pictures, it looks like you're doing fine! Here's a little tip: you might consider trimming off that 1/4 inch or so of clear material that is at the edge of the Monokote. (I noticed it in one of the wing pictures) It makes for a cleaner covering job. Be sure to have plenty of #11 blades and single-edge razor blades available, as Monokote tends to dull blades quickly, and having sharp blades helps to make clean cuts.

Also, you might consider putting stripes on the bottom of the wing only instead of a stripe that goes around the entire chord of the wing so that you can differentiate the top and bottom of the plane in flight.

Keep up the good work!
I am doin the the yellow strip the center of the wing the part that you see uncovered right now and the bottom will be yellow with black stripes going front to back all the way across the stripes. The stripes will be 3 inchs wide. Thanks fo rthe tip about the clear material I was wondering why its was there and hopeing that it would not be that noticeable oh well I will know that next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.