Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My first Maiden!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My first Maiden!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 AM
capt17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Maiden!

Well for the past three months now I've been pouring my time and energy into a Venture 60 from BTE. (Same designer as the four star) I went to the field with my Aerostar 40 which is my trainer and also the Venture. I didn't know if I was going to fly my new plane or not but after a few flights with the Aerostar and with just a few buddies as observers I decided that I might as well since the wind was down. I fueled her up and gave it a really good chack and tool off into the wind. This was my first exerience flying a tail dragger so once that tail lifted, it was a bit different to control but nothing I couldn't manage. The plane needed 2 clicks of left aileron and that was it. I trucked around the sky at half throttle for about five minutes then decided to see how it would land. I did a practice approach and realized that this plane was more stable to land than my trainer! So on my actual approach she looked so pretty coming in, great angle, great speed and a nice touchdown. Success! My top end was very rich as I am still breaking it in but I think it was even too rich for that because it was seriously lacking in power and response. (O.S. 61)

It's second flight of the day was even better. I leaned it down a couple clicks and that helped a ton. I tried some rolls, loops, stall turns, and some inversted flight. It flies great! I couldn't be happier. This is a great second airplane. I need to increase my rudder throw a bit more to keep level flight when knife edging but all in good time. It's just so rewarding to put all that effort into something and have it work out so well.

On top of all that I was able to instruct my buddy with his first solo flight! What a great day!

Here's a picture of my new baby.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78880.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	680793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98507.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	680794  
Old 05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
foosball_movie

Default RE: My first Maiden!

Good stuff. I'm currently installing the control rods on my Venture 60. It's my second plane as well and first build. I can't wait to get her in the air.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
foosball_movie

I just noticed you chose to use the dual aileron servos. Any issues with these (operating, covering, syncing, etc.)? I went this route as well, but my trainer uses a single servo for the ailerons.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
capt17

No issue with the dual servos so far. As far as I know it seem almost easier to hook up and get right than the standard one servo for ailerons. You know by experience that the modification is quite simple and I think it's just wise to distrubute the aileron load on two servos than one center aileron servo. I have not tried the flapperon feature that this setup allows yet and to tell the truth, this model lands so well I don't know if I'll ever try them!

On a side note, I also installed a Mpi Voltage LED bar (Not sure the official name) in the cockpit to I can see my battery life easily. I think it looks cool. I think you can barely see it in the picture.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulation on the successful maiden - it sounds like you had a lot of fun. Now you've been able to experience something that fewer and fewer can experience - first flight on a plane that you built, not assembled from a bunch of parts made in China. Now that this one is flying, what's on the building board next?

Hogflyer
Old 05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
capt17

Hogflyer, once I get my skills down with the venture this year, Christmas might bring me a .61 sized F4U Corsair. I've always loved that plane and I am hooked. I'm finally getting the skills to handle a plane like that!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Insanemoondoggie

That's a beautiful airplane .Really nice work. Days like this , make the not so good days worth it.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
foosball_movie

I also installed a Mpi Voltage LED bar
Can you post a pic if you have a chance. I'm thinking about what I want to do with the cockpit and would like to see where you put the LED.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Big feet

Well done, It is always nice when a model flyies nice straight off the board.

Just for the info, flapperons are a nice feature to have if your model is slippy, I mean if it has low drag and just flyies on if there is no wind.
Once set up properly flapperons give you good drag and lift so the plane slows down faster, very helpful on calm days.
If you give flapperons a try be careful the first time you deploy them. If they both go down a different amount it is like an aileron input.
Test them at height and adjust until all is well. Once done you will find slippy models land much easier in no or low wind.

In relation to trainers / second models, my trainer was three channel. Don't know why, the bloke in the model shop recommended it and who was I to argue (or even know any better).
Having learn't to fly I got my second model of a guy in our club. I had seen him fly it day in, day out so I knew it was a good model.
Now, 4 channel was sooooooooo much easier to fly and the model was more responsive and could do more.
I have often considered using a pattern ship as a trainer on a buddy system to see how new pilots get on.
These planes in general fly much better than sport models. I think it would be an interesting experiment.

Comments anyone?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:18 PM
brooke

capt17, great to hear your maiden went good. Also, I really like the colors you used on the plane. Looks real good.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Mr67Stang

Beautiful plane! Congrats on the maiden. You are now official. You have learned the basics of R/C flight. You have built a plane from a box of sticks and sheeting. You have successfully flown that plane. Welcome to the ever shrinking club.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:13 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Cograts on a build & maiden well done!! You can't beat a Venture when it comes to a full build kit IMO. I had originally planned to build one too, especially after reading the way Bruce Puts those kits together. I just got lazy & never got around to it. You did a nice looking job on yours & only needing 2 clicks to achieve hands free flight only means you did a great job building it as well. Now you have something to be extremely proud of!![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-10-2007, 06:17 AM
rwright142

Congrats! I just maidened my Fourstar 40 so I know how you feel.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:44 AM
jmurphy18

Congrats! I am still building my trainer, but have decided to buy Venture 60 as my next plane once I solo. I have read the reviews and Bruce's site and liked what I read. Nice job on the build BTW! Like your color choice. Monokote or Ultracote?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 AM
capt17

It is Monocote. Never used the Ultracote but have heard good things Foosball, Here are some more pictures that might help you out on your venture build. PM me if you need more.

Name:	Om32827.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	681424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81980.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	681425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99195.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	681426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43183.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	681427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37758.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	681428  
Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
foosball_movie

Here are some more pictures that might help you out on your venture build.
Yes, there are a huge help. I was able to install the control rods last night. Kind of butchered the elevator exit slot, but the rods aren't touching. Thanks for posting the pics.

Name:	Hf97606.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	681472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27051.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	681473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89398.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	681474  
Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Wow - very nice looking build! Dig that covering job. [8D]

Definitely something rewarding when you build and fly a kit yourself. Congrats.

somegeek