Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Low-wing Trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Low-wing Trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 07:30 AM
DjDrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low-wing Trainer?

I've been flying about 1.5 years with Zagi's but I'm ready for a bit more speed and power. I'm interested in most all areas of aerobatics so naturally the Cap 232 stood out. Almost everyone says it's way too fast for a first gas plane, so I had to buy it. Deal is done, it hangs from the ceiling right now. But now I'm considering a more modest trainer or a profile plane for an in-between, to get me ready. My question is how bad is it to really fly a low-wing? Some people make it sound like flying with half a wing or compared to running with jello. Is it really this tough?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2003, 08:15 AM
DJSE7EN

Default Look At This

look at this thread might help you

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...048&forumid=22
:
Old 02-27-2003, 01:16 PM
TerrellFlyer

Find an instructor to buddy box you with the Cap then you'll have a [shore nuff] answer.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Trainer Aircraft

You're no different than everyone Else who's started in this hobby. You want high performance right now, and don't like the looks of trainers. Dj sent you to a good thread. My advice is to start up through the ranks like everyone else who's flying RC. Well, some have bought something really hot at the LHS, then they have gone out to the field and crashed the hot plane in a million bits, then gone back to the LHS to buy a trainer. Then they made the call to an instructor.

Get a high wing trainer. High wing trainers naturally want to fly in a normal attitude. That is why they basically stink for aerobatics. This is called self correcting tendencies. They won't get you out of every bit of trouble, but if you get into a harry situation - just let go of the sticks and the plane wants to fly somewhat right. Mid wing and low wing planes lack this self correcting tendency. They go where you point them and to get it out of trouble - you have to fly it out. It takes more attention to fly them, but in the long run it's more fun because the plane is more responsive.

Everyone has their own favorites for trainers, but here are mine.
#1 Midwest Aerostar kit or ARF from falcon trading.
#2 Anything from Sig is good.
#3 The Hangar 9 Solo Sport is a heck of a bargain at $100 and flys great.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Heath
My Feedback: (1)

I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but I'd say if you've got flying experience with a Zagi, you could skip the trainer step, probably. Talk to an instructor and go fly your zagi with him and see.

I probably wouldn't jump straight into the cap, though. Low wings aren't impossible to fly, but they are definitely harder than the high wings, to take off and land, particularly with a tail dragger. Got to where I can do touch and go's in my sleep on the trainer. Then, got on Realflight at the LHS and tried a low wing and it took me about an hour of crashing before I could put the low wing tail draggers down consistently without problems. Once in the air, there really isn't much difference. But a cap is built for aerobatics, which means its unstable by design. I've put many a virtual cap into the ground, where the slowpoke, or four star float around much like the trainer.

So, I'd suggest building a Sig Four Star 40 or 60, Tiger II, or maybe a GP Supersportster. They're fun to fly, don't look bad, and would give you a nice progression to prepare for the cap. Just use an instructor when you first start flying it and you'd be find I'd think.

But again, I'd just go talk to and fly the zag with an instructor and see what he thinks.

Good luck,
Heath
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Jaguar-RCU

Did you ever crash your zagi? Don't try that with your cap. I suggest at least an Aivistar or perhaps TigerII. Run some gallons of fuel through one of those, then the Cap. IMHO YMMV
Old 02-27-2003, 09:29 PM
BingoFlyer

If you can find one the Bingo is very easy to fly and will give the low wing experience that you will need for the Cap. Ace used to kit the Bingo but I have not seen one in a while (built mine from RCM Plans).

A Sig 4*60 is very similar to the Bingo and would work also, I just like to have something that there is not going to be four of five others at the field.

I also think that you could skip the high wing trainer if you can handle the Zagi an because of the size difference I don't think the speed would be that apparent.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Woodsy

Have a look at www.spadtothebone.com there are some easy build low wing planes for a few $$