Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Flights - Last Night

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Flights - Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 AM
manks7477

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flights - Last Night

I have been in this hobby for a while, but most of my time has been spent building. I had about 15 flights logged, but none for three years, and never with a real instructor. Well last night I finally got back into the air, 5 flights and no problems at all. This was with a brand new PT-40 I built over the winter. First flight - instructor did the take off and trims, once it was set I took over - no problems at all, nice easy circuits, everything was smooth, the elevator needed to be adjusted a bit as I could did not have enough trim to hold it level. I had the plane on a trial approach and the engine cut out at the end of the runway, about 10 feet up, the instrutor took it over and landed it, no problems. MY NEW PLANE FLYS!!!! Great feeling all the way around. I charged the plane up, and made a couple of small trim adjustments, instructor took off, retrimmed, and landed, then I did the take off myself - no problems at all! 10 Min of flying all is well, I was doing some high speed circuits, then slowed it down to and did some slow speed work, making several approachs. On one approach the engine cut out again, "I got it" I said, and calmly did my first Dead Stick - PERFECT! The plane was now trimmed well and I was full of confidence, flights 3, 4 and 5 were great, I had the plane the whole time, taking off, doing touch and gos, loops, rolls, some wing overs, and a bunch of approaches. I need to use a bit more rudder on my take offs, and a bit less elevator on my touch and gos, but generally the progression was very fast. I think I will solo next week and it will not be long before I have my wings!

The only real issue I had was my motor lagged when I transitioned from a low throttle setting to a higher throttle, I understand that this is an adjustment I have to make on the low end, I will do that this weekend and be ready to go into the air next week. I am now thinking - how long before I can get my .40 Corsair flying!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Flights - Last Night

Good to see you're finally back in the air. It does sound like the engine is a bit rich at idle. OS is famous for sending engines out that way. A rich engine will run but a lean engine won't or will eat itself.[:'(] Your instructor will help you fine tune it.

The Corsair is still at least a few days away. More like next spring. Don't rush it, enjoy the trainer.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Ken
Old 05-23-2007, 09:29 AM
manks7477

I know the Corsair is a while away yet, I tested the trainer out a bit last night, and I am sure that it will be enough for me for a while. I have a small fleet of trainers right now - one I got from a guy who was getting out of the hobby, my original trainer that I converted to a tail dragger and a nice little .25 ship that I bought from another guy for $20 and built. I figure I will start to work the tail dragger into the mix soon and get some experience with that, and if I really NEED to advance I can get a 4* 60 ARF to get some low wing experience later this year.

It was a ton of fun to get back into the air, and as much as I want to get my more advanced planes in the air (Cub and Corsair) I know that there are a bunch of steps I have to take and if I do not the 100 hours I put into the Corsair will be reversed in a matter of a couple of minutes. I am willing to invest the time to do this hobby right.

I also have a 1/4 scale Chipmunk that is now built and needs to be covered - I would like to be able to fly that plane pretty soon after it is finished - so I am anxious to progress enough by next spring to fly the Chippy.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way cool manks . Congrats on the maiden .
Your LS needle does sound a little rich. Is this a fairly new engine ? May just need more run time.
I`m building a TP Corsair .60 , which won`t see airtime till next spring. Just moved into low wings , 4 Star and a Twist and have a long ways to go before the Corsair gets her maiden. You may want to consider getting a low wing after you get bored with the trainer , before you tackle the Corsair.
Sounds like your first day back was a success, take off, landings and deadsticks are very important to learn to deal with early on.
Welcome back, Happy landings
Old 05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
manks7477

The engine has had a few tanks run through it (3 last night alone), I think it is broken in enough.

I think it is the LS needle that needs a very slight turn.

I will be getting a low wing before I get into the Corsair or Chipmunk - no worries about that.

Cheers!

A