Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Plane! Which between the two

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Plane! Which between the two

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:58 PM
RC_Feen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Plane! Which between the two

Well I bought a HobbyZone Aerobird 3 as my first plane. When I got home I found that the X-port button was broken. Took it back to the hobby shop the next morning. That was 5/7/07. The LHS ordered a replacement TX but it has not yet come in. I tied to get my money back on the Aerobird but they only do in-store credit. I was looking around the LHS and they have a HobbyZone Super Cub RTF that is on the channel I need to fly with my buddy. So here's my question. Between the Aerobird 3 and the Super Cub which would be better for me to learn on and take me to the next level of RC planes? If the Super Cub would be better suited for me then I'm thinking of paying the difference and getting the Super Cub. Just FYI, I have RC helicopter flying experience if that helps. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: First Plane! Which between the two

The Super Cub is much better suited to learn to fly with. It was designed from the ground up for new pilots who are trying to teach themselves to fly.

I originally started out with the Aerobird Challenger, and was quite frustrated with it. Some folks like the Aerobird, but I found it difficult to keep trimmed out and flying straight and I spent a lot of time pounding mine into the ground. By the time I figured out how to fly it, it was pretty much totalled.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:35 AM
RC_Feen

bigedmustafa....With that being said I probably should try to get the Super Cub since I don't have any RC plane experience? I like the looks of the Super Cub instead anyways! Do you think that the Super Cub is more durable than the Aerobird 3? I tried to fly my buddies Aerobird Xtreme and took off and then flew it right into the gound. The wind conditions were not the best that day either. Any additional info is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 AM
bigedmustafa

No electric plane is going to be easy for a new pilot to handle in the wind, that's one of the reasons that learning to fly on a glow-trainer, in my opinion, seems easier. Glow planes usually weigh more and have better control authority.

Once I learned to fly my Nexstar glow trainer, I was able to go back and start flying my Aerobird much better than when I was first starting out. The Super Cub is going to be easier to teach yourself to fly with than the Aerobird, so you should definitely consider making the switch.

I had problems with the tail boom staying aligned on my Aerobird after I crashed it once or twice, it started to flex and move around where it attached to the main fuselage. I also had problems keeping the tail controls trimmed properly, the cheap plastic screws and fishing line that were installed were imprecise, to say the least.

The solid controls, traditional "t" tail, and full fuselage of the Super Cub make it easier to control and easier to fine tune.

The toughest thing that you will have to remember is to stay patient and don't try to fly when there is even a moderate breeze. You will need near calm wind conditions to fly successfully until you get a few hours of flying experience under your belt and can control the plane with confidence.

Good shopping and good luck!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 PM
RC_Feen

Made the switch today. I exchanged my Aerobird 3 for the Super Cub and paid the difference for the Super Cub. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get it together and try flying it. Can't wait! Thanks!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:10 PM
bigedmustafa

Have fun, and best of luck!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Wish you good luck with the Super Cub. Personally, from what I've read so far, I think you're going to have problems with anything you fly. I recenty bought an Aerobird 3, I do have lots of previous expereince, and I'm just having a blast with it. It flies fine, has plenty of ability to get into and out of trouble, makes it fun. I can even just about thermal it. I've got 19 flighgts on mine, no bad crashes yet, and it's just a pleasure to fly. I will suggest what the hobby shop salesman told me. Read all the info in the manual and watch the CD. First flights on a day where there is almost no wind. I really like my Aerobird 3, but I do have experience. Good luck with the Cub. Best Regards, Tom