Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Anyone notice

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Anyone notice

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 07:25 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever seen one of these before???

How much does it weigh, and what's the wingspan? Also, don't use the servos if they are old. Take all of the radio gear, and scrap it. Sure, they might work, but why take the risk on a nice plane?
Old 08-24-2002, 10:14 PM
FHHuber
Banned

What it is? Not sure.

Can it be made airworthy? Looks like it doesn't need much if anything other than the radio update...

Since it looks like ascale model... do a search for the AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) thier website has a link for searching for info on a plane by the wing number.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:30 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

looks to me a little bigger than a 60 size
Old 09-01-2002, 10:23 PM
FHHuber
Banned

going by size alone for engine size... bad idea. If you went by size alone for putting an engine n a Sig Kadet Sr... you might stick a .91 into a plane intended for a .40.

compare the aircraft weight with the weight of similar design aircraft of similar size to find one that has an appropriate engine size. (allowing 12 oz roughly for engine if none is present... or stick in lead where the engine belongs till it ballances, and you'll have the appx engine weight to help in the guess.)

You can guess about engine size a lot... but that model seems to have an engine in it already... what size does it have? What prop is that on it?
Old 09-03-2002, 11:46 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Its definitely not an Air Camper. I have a set of blueprints for the Pietenpol Air Camper and the wingtips are all squared off, pluss its a two place tandem. The aircraft pictured has a single place cockpit. The cowling is reminiscent of one you'd find on a production line aircraft, not the simpler design normally found on a home-built of the era that plane appears to belong in.

Yes, you can measure the engine mounting screw spacing and get a rough idea of what engine size was intended. The bolt spacings of typical .40 class or .60 class engine have remained within a small range for a long time. This of course assumes it has beam mounts and used a glow engine. If it used a gasoline engine, or had a backplate type mounting, it might be harder. If it had a set of bolted on beam mounts and they've been removed... all bets on bolt spacing giving a clue are off.

The combination of bolt spacing and an approximation of the engine's weight would be a very big help.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:06 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

What size prop is it? You could figure out what size engine was on it before
Old 09-04-2002, 10:45 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a Heath Parasol?

RCPAUL
Old 09-24-2002, 12:27 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Default Anyone notice

The cowl is upside-down. There is no way that is the thrust line way down there.
Now it is starting to look DeHavilandish isn't it. Almost looks like a Tiger Moth, minus a wing of course. Not to good at identification of old planes though, could be way off base with DeHaviland guess.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:09 PM
GIFLYRC

Hi gang!

My vote goes to the Heath Parasol.

Best bet is to look it up at your local library.

Be aware that old models tend to be dried out with dry rot, glue joints that aren;t getting it anymore.and I won;t mention how many I have seen the wings fold on, after 1 or 2 flights.

Your best bet is to strip the covering and go over the structure reglueing and repairing any damaged areas you can find.

It is a very nice looking model and I'm sure that you will be rewarded with a fine flying aeroplane!

Good luck,

Roger