Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Good luck

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Ghostbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good luck

The Beginner,

You're link didn't work, for me anyway.

My 2 cents.

Please get an instructor. I've been watching our club president fly his helo for the past few months and he (one of our best pilots), 1) had it fly away and crash - took ten guys three hours to find the pieces of it, 2) Nearly cut my head off - I was standing in the pits when a bit of wind pushed the model off balance and he managed to clear our heads by a few feet (I was just about to dive under my car.

Looks like fun, though...

GB
Old 08-28-2002, 12:22 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Hello, i'm new to RC Helicopters, looking for help please

First option is always to find an instructor. The assistance in setting up the heli will make things go much easier. Hard enough to learn to take-off... harder still if the darn thing isn't trimmed out and you don't have a clue how to keep the beast from flipping over while trimming it.

The way Sikorsky taught himself to fly the first helo (no one knew how...) was he tied it with short lengths of chain to blocks or stakes, which allowed very little movement. When he finally got to where he could keep all the chains from going tight, he lengthened them, so he could go a bit higher... and started over.

that system would work for an R/C heli if you CAN'T find anyone near you to give instructions. (and then move to a hoola hoop style training gear until you get better.)

don't foget to get a gyro and put it in on the tail rotor... else, you will have a VERY hard time.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:11 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

I would get Real Flight G2 sim with the add on that has the Raptor 30. I'm a self taught heli pilot, but I was VERY proficient at flying airplanes before. The Raptor on Real Flight is very simmilar to real life, but the sim will let it slide back and forth ALOT more than it ever could in real life.

How much open space does your warehouse have? While you learn, it should be 50 FT on either side, MINIMUM. Plus, you need to have excellent ventilation because helicopters smoke alot more than any airplane. I can fog up my front yard with my chopper in about 5 minutes if there isnt any wind. The slick conrete floor in the warehouse will help you with learning to fly it. The concrete will let it slide alot, almost as much as real flight, so you can get better with holding it in one place without actually lifting it off the ground.

The best way to learn is to get an instructor. It's very hard to learn by yourself without any previous flying experience.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:00 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a teaching method which once was called "Two pilots - Two sticks". I use the same method for teaching fixed wing flying. It has proven to work so well that I have no problem letting anyone at all fly my heli. Usually, within a couple of hours of instruction my students can either learn to hover for a few seconds to a few minutes, or be able to go home and safely practice and learn within the next couple of days.

Maybe there is someone else who uses this method who could teach you to hover ASAP.

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors