Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Why use hairspray with rc models?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Why use hairspray with rc models?

Old 04-06-2018, 12:57 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use Balsarite for Film (not Balsarite for Fabric). Hairspray is not going to give you the desired result.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:42 PM
sonnytex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct. While awaiting a possible answer I tried some of my wife's hairspray on a spot and then ironed a test piece of monokote on. All that happened was that the monokote lifted off easily but, it did lift some of the old paint that remained from the old covering. Getting the old paint off has been the problem despite my efforts to clean the balsa. Acetone cuts the bulk of it but will not remove it from the grain. Thanks for your response.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:02 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sonnytex,

Someone on another thread suggested using Gorilla Tape. I've used it myself and it works after a fashion. It won't get everything off, but it seems to help. I don't want to hijack this thread off to another subject.

Let's get back to uses for hairspray. I'm lurking, looking for new ideas.

Bob
Old 04-07-2018, 05:47 AM
sonnytex

Hummm. Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I might give the gorilla tape a try for the lack of any other ideas.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:10 PM
countilaw

The hair spray just seals the balsa wood. It will make the nap stand up, sand it with 320 grit sand paper. The wood will be much smoother and when covered, the monokote will look better.

Someone mentioned that you spray the hair spray on TOP of the covering. I don't know what idiot came up with that idea. Must have been one of the "self proclaimed EXPERTS" on here.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Countilaw, could you be referring to my comment in Post 45 where I was talking about sealing a silk & dope covering so that excess dope would not bleed through unnecessarily?????

Bob
Old 08-21-2018, 04:58 AM
r ward

hair spray is simply water soluable lacquer in a spray can. any water based lacquer will do the same thing. being able to spray it on is just faster and easier. it only done to stop the absortion finish on raw balsa. i use brushing grade lacquer from any big box store, as a sealer all the time. two light coats and sanded gives a nice smooth surface for any covering. never had any adhesion issues with film or fabric/tissue. my planes are usually sealed and smooth like finish coat before I cover them. I also have a life time of experience finishing wood of all species. as with anything else,...preparation is what results in a good-looking finish. the few grams that a couple coats of lacquer weighs, isn't even worth considering when it comes to the appearance of the finished model, in my opinion.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:29 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Water based lacquer? Maybe so, I thought it was alcohol soluble shellac, but I guess it can be a lot of things depending on the brand. I like spray shellac to seal balsa because it's easy, doesn't warp the wood, and the stink dissipates quickly, but maybe I'll try brushing on water based lacquer. I've brushed on Minwax Polycrylic too. Would water-based lacquer be better?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think most hairspray is water based. It's way too flammable for that, and as quickly as the solvent evaporates it's gotta be something else.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 AM
r ward

the propellant in a can of hair spray is highly flammable, the hair fixative is water based lacquer that separates from the propellant, as the propellant evaporates after leaving the can. so the flame you see when you "flame thrower" a can of hair spray is the propellant,..... not the fixative. if hairspray was not water based, you would not be able to simply wash it off the hair. it would require a dissolvent to get it off the hair.
shellac is not clear like a lacquer can be. I have used shellacs all my life as a sealer in woodworking. it is actually a very ancient finish. it is also heavier than lacquer. shellac is not flammable either,...it is the alcohol solvent that is highly flammable. shellac is a solid that comes in it's raw form as flakes that need to be dissolved in a medium to be liquefied for brushing or spraying. alcohol evaporates quickly and does a good job of dissolving the solid shellac flakes, so that is what is used. water will not dissolve shellac.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:10 AM
r ward

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Water based lacquer? Maybe so, I thought it was alcohol soluble shellac, but I guess it can be a lot of things depending on the brand. I like spray shellac to seal balsa because it's easy, doesn't warp the wood, and the stink dissipates quickly, but maybe I'll try brushing on water based lacquer. I've brushed on Minwax Polycrylic too. Would water-based lacquer be better?
better off with regular lacquer......the water in water based Lacquer can warp surfaces and will raise the grain of balsa and require more sanding. Mautz, and Cabot ( there are others, but I use those two all the time) sell brushing grade Lacquer for woodworking . they can be thinned for spraying, as well.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:16 AM
r ward

a for "balsa rite",...I'm pretty that stuff is a water based Lacquer or regular Lacqer in a solvent for brushing viscosity.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:02 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't doubt shellac has a higher density than lacquer, but the nice thing about the shellac spray is you can easily put on a very light couple of coats adding very little weight, and then water based Minwax won't warp it. The stink is gone quick, and doesn't smell up the house. The spray can is also much easier than dissolving flakes, and it holds up well in the can, so you don't have to mix it up each time. In light spray coats, I see no color at all. So far, I'm liking this method very much, and I'm no longer dealing with toxic fumes.

Jim
Old 08-26-2018, 05:49 AM
j.duncker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a long time ago 50 + years but back in the days I flew control line combat some people were experimenting with using white polystyrene foam as a construction medium. I watched one being built and hairspray was used on the foam. I don't remember exactly why but I suspect it was to protect the foam.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:52 AM
r ward

some combat fuels had pretty high nitro content, some of the foams were not nitro resistant, hence the seal coat.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Mr Ward, what do you consider a high nitro content? I run 50% nitro in my boats routinely with no issues. Then again, I also have my boat painted with two part automotive paints that are covered with a few coats of clear
Old 01-11-2020, 10:09 AM
rcavi8or

they used to use hair moose cans for mufflers years ago,,,,
Old 01-12-2020, 11:32 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rcavi8or
they used to use hair moose cans for mufflers years ago,,,,
Moose = big hairy animal ya don't wanna get stepped on by .

Mousse = Women's hair product in a can of an appropriate size for a model airplane engine muffler ......