Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gap sealing......

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gap sealing......

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
firestone1121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gap sealing......

How critical is this? have a h9 st50 and was wondering HOW its done. i know to use clear monokote or tape but how does it get attached? what does it look like and wat adhesives are used? there is SLIGHT warpage on the ailerons so halfway thru the wing there is a small gap and wanted to seal it. this is my first arf so i dont wanna screw it up ya know? is it overkill? i think i heard somewhere that exceesive gap may cause flutter so im not gunna risk it. any info would be GREAT! thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gap sealing......

It won't necessarily cause flutter. What it does is makes the maneuvers you do with ailerons more precise. RC Ken, I think it was him, or Minflyer, posted a picture that shows how the air bleeds from one side of the wing to the other because of the pressure differential on the top as compared to the bottom. It will leak through gaps in the ailerons and cause the ailerons to be less effective. An average flyer will really never know it or notice it. Mostly those that do precision aerobatics, Pattern flyers for instance, will notice the difference.

Mainly, using a piece of clear monocoat (or whatever coat you use) the length of the aileron plus a couple of inches, and slightly smaller in width as the V shape in the top or the bottom of the aileron to wing gap is, then carefully fold it in half length wise so that it fits into the gap, then iron it in from the middle out, to both sides (from the middle) using a small covering iron. They make them for trim that works out just great.

DS.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired
...... RC Ken, I think it was him, or Minflyer, posted a picture that shows how the air bleeds from one side of the wing to the other because of the pressure differential on the top as compared to the bottom. It will leak through gaps in the ailerons and cause the ailerons to be less effective. An average flyer will really never know it or notice it. Mostly those that do precision aerobatics, Pattern flyers for instance, will notice the difference......

In my [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm]Pay It Forward build thread!! LT-40 build [/link] thread I addressed sealing gaps in the thread. You can find the sections in the build by following these links.
Aileron gap sealing starts here:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5398504[/link]

Rudder/Elevator sealing starts here
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5589251[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25720.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	734826  
Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 AM
rlipsett

Make sure when you seal the gap that the hinge is fully deflected before attaching the gap seal. Gap sealing is usually a good idea small 3d aircraft that use ca hinges. It reinforces the hinges and helps to reduce the occurence of flutter on large surfaces with extreme deflections. and cosmetically it looks neater
Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

As mentioned before in another thread, it does nothing to cure flutter. Flutter occurs with loose hinges or hinges that are not installed properly, not by the gap.

The gap sealing prevents the differential in pressure allowing air to pass through the gap from the lower side to the higher pressure upper side of the ailerons thus making the ailerons more effective.

See: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6162543/tm.htm

and read on down a bit. This is all covered in pretty good detail.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 AM
bruce88123

Solid installation and sufficient quantity of hinges and good control linkage setups prevent flutter and help with response. Gap sealing tends to make the plane a bit more responsive and IMO little more.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 PM
firestone1121

wow guys thanks a lot! i love coming here you guys help so much and so unselfishly i appreciate it!