Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 PM
j_jones84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice!

Im graduating from my Super Cub very soon after I got it. It's really a blast, but I just hate that I can't fly it much. What I would call a steady breeze (Not super windy) just really has it's way with this light little plane. I'm looking for something (Preferably RTF as I have never built a kit) under $300 (Preferably around $200) that can fly in a steady breeze. Not really interested in trick manuevers other than a simple loop or barrel roll.

Anything come to mind? I might just check out the for sale section here after I get an idea of what plan I'm actually looking for.

PS: Has anyone ever used the ACT on the HobbyZone products? It's pretty much garbage in my opinion. I had a much harder time with it on rather than off.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:48 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Looking for advice!

J jones, Before the storm of reccomendations start. Where do you see yourself going with the hobby?
Are you thinking of staying electric or going Fuel powered. Are you a member of or plan on joining
club (highly reccomended). Do you have a certain size plane in mind or does your current flying area
restrict you to having a certain size model? eg. Maybe you fly in a football field. Are you willing to
join a club and pursue flying with an instructor? If you provide these guys with a little more detail
the responses will be tailored to your requests.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd say go glow if you always have a breeze. After more info I may be able to get some recommendations together for my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 PM
j_jones84

Thanks overbored77 for giving me insight into what I need to consider.

I see myself doing this on the weekends. I dont see myself ever spending over $300 on a plane, I see myself being content with a non aerobatic plane. I dont ever see myself joining a club. I dont particularly enjoy tinkering/upgrading. I do repairs and adjustments as necessary evil to get in the air. As an example I have a BladeCX2 I bought off of ebay with a bad servo. I replaced it and now my swashplate is very out of balance, and I am dreading putting it back together. Eventually I will do my best to interpret written instructions and wing it, just to get it in the air. That's one reason I am more prone to RTFs. I imagine it would be different if I had a real person that could assist (Club, LHS) but I dont. My other hobby is shooting and I kind of relate this to than in the sense that I have some nice guns, good quality, even possibly used for some higher end activities... but I just enjoy plinking with them on weekends.

Electric vs. Fuel.

Not sure, fuel seems more complicated.. more parts to break down.. more things to learn (I can charge a battery.. but I dont mechanic well). But it also seems more powerful. Power would mean heavier planes, meaning more wind I could fly in? But that would also mean it would be more rigid and more apt to destruction upon crashing, though I believe this would be the same for electric or fuel.. due to the nature of the more advanced aircraft.

Size of the plane doesn't really matter. Expecting something with at least a 40" wingspan... but anything bigger would be fine. Smaller would too I suppose, but I'd be afraid of losing orientation too quickly due to the fact it would appear to be a black dot sooner.

Size of flying area. Have some flat, treeless property available for me to fly at probably encompassing 18football fields, but one football field sized area very close to my house that would be awesome if I could utilize ($3 a gallon for unleaded =/)

As for flying with an instructor.. I'll give it some thought, but leaning towards no. I've mastered my trainer (Though it practically flys itself so thats not saying much) and I really just want to toodle around in the air.. do a few loops, barrel rolls, flybys and land. If the Super Cub could just fly in the wind I'd probably stick with it until I was ready for some aerobatics.

Hopefully this wasn't too wordy.. it seems like the beginner topic is so popular many posts are on the dreaded second page before you know it. Thanks in advance
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: j_jones84

Thanks overbored77 for giving me insight into what I need to consider.

I see myself doing this on the weekends. I dont see myself ever spending over $300 on a plane, I see myself being content with a non aerobatic plane. I dont ever see myself joining a club. I dont particularly enjoy tinkering/upgrading. I do repairs and adjustments as necessary evil to get in the air. As an example I have a BladeCX2 I bought off of ebay with a bad servo. I replaced it and now my swashplate is very out of balance, and I am dreading putting it back together. Eventually I will do my best to interpret written instructions and wing it, just to get it in the air. That's one reason I am more prone to RTFs. I imagine it would be different if I had a real person that could assist (Club, LHS) but I dont. My other hobby is shooting and I kind of relate this to than in the sense that I have some nice guns, good quality, even possibly used for some higher end activities... but I just enjoy plinking with them on weekends.

Electric vs. Fuel.

Not sure, fuel seems more complicated.. more parts to break down.. more things to learn (I can charge a battery.. but I dont mechanic well). But it also seems more powerful. Power would mean heavier planes, meaning more wind I could fly in? But that would also mean it would be more rigid and more apt to destruction upon crashing, though I believe this would be the same for electric or fuel.. due to the nature of the more advanced aircraft.

Size of the plane doesn't really matter. Expecting something with at least a 40" wingspan... but anything bigger would be fine. Smaller would too I suppose, but I'd be afraid of losing orientation too quickly due to the fact it would appear to be a black dot sooner.

Size of flying area. Have some flat, treeless property available for me to fly at probably encompassing 18football fields, but one football field sized area very close to my house that would be awesome if I could utilize ($3 a gallon for unleaded =/)

As for flying with an instructor.. I'll give it some thought, but leaning towards no. I've mastered my trainer (Though it practically flys itself so thats not saying much) and I really just want to toodle around in the air.. do a few loops, barrel rolls, flybys and land. If the Super Cub could just fly in the wind I'd probably stick with it until I was ready for some aerobatics.

Hopefully this wasn't too wordy.. it seems like the beginner topic is so popular many posts are on the dreaded second page before you know it. Thanks in advance

Yup... That's what I said, (almost exactly), 2 years ago, before I got into aerobatics, 3D and gassers.

Plan ahead...get a second job now.

P.S. 'Mastering' a trainer is a myth. You have FAR to go.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I first tried teaching myself to fly on an electric airplane, because I assumed that glow powered airplanes would be expensive, fragile, and complicated. I didn't have much success with my Aerobird Challenger, however, and I ran into a local club that let me try flying a glow trainer with one of the flight instructors. Boy was it eye-opening!

I found that the glow trainers were much better fliers in breezy conditions. I also found glow trainers easier to control, they just seemed to respond more positively and more consistently to my stick inputs. After flying for five minutes on a buddy box, I was hooked.

I bought a glow trainer and went through the club's flight training program. Once I started getting the hang of my glow trainer, I discovered that I could also fly my Aerobird Challenger a lot better than before.

I was surprised at the durability and inexpensive cost of operation that my trainer provided. Balsa and monokote bounced back nicely from less-than-ideal landings, but severe landings were easy to avoid because of the enhanced stability that the larger, heavier plane offered. Once I'd purchased my RTF glow trainer and field equipment, there weren't any additional costs except for a gallon of fuel every six or eight weeks and the occassional propeller.

Unlike yourself, however, I had no problem joining a local club and getting some help learning to fly. I enjoyed going out to the really nice club field that was just a few miles from home. I too had no building or mechanical experience, but Nebraska is windy all of the time, and I decided I'd rather fly my plane than stare out the window and wish the breeze wasn't so strong.

There will be a learning curve if you decide to try glow aircraft. You will need how to fuel up and tune your plane. You will need get some help from an experienced pilot who can show you how to safely operate and maintain your aircraft. Maybe you'd rather not make new friends who share your interest in flying model aircraft.

If you must stick to electric aircraft, I'd advise you to check out some of the excellent and affordable electric flying wings that are available as ARFs or RTFs. They handle wind well, can be flown fast or slow, are affordable, and are a relatively easy step up from a first airplane.

Check out some of the following aircraft:

-Great Planes Slinger/Mini Slinger ARF
-Phase 3 Swoop RTF
-Parkzone F-27 Stryker B/C RTF
-Phase 3 Phantom ARF
-Great Planes Miglet/XPD-8 ARF
-Great Planes Synapse ARF/Receiver Ready
-Thunder Tiger Velocity ARF

All of these are high quality, inexpensive electric flying wings that need either little or no assembly. All of them can fly in much windier conditions that your Super Cub. All of them should easily fall well below your maximum budget.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 AM
j_jones84

Thanks a bunch bigedmustafa for the suggestions on RTFs... now at least I have somewhere to start. I think I may just stick with battery power for now, due to the fact that it seems like less of a hassle.

Lot to research still thanks.. still looking for any advice on certain types of planes, manufactures etc.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: j_jones84

I dont see myself ever spending over $300 on a plane
I never thought I would either - but life has a way of emptying your wallet

Have a look at the Fantom from Phase 3
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Warbird Joe

J Jones. Battery may seem like a lot less hassle but when it comes to the financial side of it electric costs sooooooooo much more. I just started flying in December of 06 and thought I would just buy a plane and have a good time flying loops and rolls. Wow, was I dead wrong. I have that trainer doing everything it can possibly do in aerobatics. It is sooooooooo much more fun instead of cutting circles in the sky. My personal opinion is that you get a better appreciation for flying and the hobby. So anyway, I decided to build to a Stryker frame and upgrade it. The only thing original on it is the fuselage and $400 later I have a faster airplane and spent more money on one plane then I did starting up in glow. And the other downside is I can only fly it for 9 minutes and I have to charge the battery. However, the battery has to cool down. You are looking at about 30 - 45 minutes then 2 hours to charge. So my other option is to go and buy 1 or 2 more batteries at $70 a piece now you are over $500.

I love to fly the Stryker but man oh man is the electric side so much more expensive. You have to buy a charger, power supply (unless you know how to convert a computer power supply. thank god guys at the airfield know how.), a balancer, and etc. Plus there is just no better sound than that of a glow engine. Just my two cents worth. good luck with your choices and selection.

One more thought though. I would highly recommend going to a field and getting an instructor. You will get soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more out of this hobby and probably strike an even more love for it.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
j_jones84

Thanks for the response hdwideglide03

Glow is cheaper? I had no idea, figured it would be the other way around. What about fuel costs?

As for flight time.. what do you get out of a fuel tank? What about engine cooldown? How do you know when you are getting low on fuel?

As for all the planes suggested.. they look cool. They seem very streamlined and fast. I imagine they will cut through the air, and wind like a jet. I was really interested in the Cessna type planes rather than the jets though. Do they make those types that fly well in the stronger breezes or does the airfoil on those cause too much havoc?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
tubamike78

are you still looking for another airplane to handle the wind? might i suggest the electristar.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXNVC0**&P=ML
you'll also want the battery and charger combo
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSLB1&P=M

this is the same size and power as a .40 size nitro plane. it is made out of balsa and plywood with monokote covering. it will be able to handle the wind no problem and you will be able to loop it, rool it, fly it inverted, and much more. i like to fly it into a steady breeze and reduce power to get it to hover in the air.

here's a video from youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIF-D-FzACE
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 AM
rctrax

I would be willinmg to bet that you are talking electric and there is your answer. Just about all the electrics are "park flyers" and hence very suseptable to wind.If you vere into engine driven planes they would be heavy enough to penetrate a good breeze. That's why all these small cheap plastic and foam kids toy types are not a viable source of equipment for the sereios flyer who wants to do some serious flying.There are just too many times that the wind is too strong for those small toys
Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Try Glo you won't regret it,, it handles the wind better and also maintains the same speed until your ready to land or run out of fuel... I fly both glo and electric, but prefer any glo over electric,, but thats my personal preference.

I also build, so the cost of a nice plane is very inexpensive,, although the Arf's and RTF's have come down in prices over the years,, and are actually comparable to a kit in cost now by the time the kit is completed with wrapping, engine, and all, but I buy all my kits for about $70 - $150.00 I have never spent more then that for a plane in over 35 years, they are all 20 - 60 size, Not that I haven't wanted to buy a larger plane by any means. I was given a US 1000 which is an Awesomne plane, I hope to be getting into some 1/4 - 1/2 scale models soon and then some jets.... This hobby is the best!!!

But there is nothing like a home built from Scratch or Kit because they are by far the Strongest and most durable planes you will ever fly. only if you build them that way,, Its a lot easier then one might think. Just follow the steps 1 at a time, you can't go wrong.

Carl goldberg Eagle 63 started me,, but there are a ton of great trainers out there now a days,, Nexstar 40 is also a good beginner..
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
rctrax

I have never needed to fly longer that 15 mins or so I rarely run out of fuel, but in the event I do dead stick is no big deal and it is good practice. As far as knowing when your low on fuel I just never worry about it. I just take off, fly a while and then land. engines don't need cool down Just filler up again and go. Almost continuous flying as long as you want to. Almost any glow plane will handle wind much better then a little electric. Of course there are big electric planes the will compare with most any glow plane but now you're talking big MONEY.These types require components that cost way more than glow. And you still have all the hassel of charging and waiting between flights where with glow you just fill her up again and go.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I first tried teaching myself to fly on an electric airplane, because I assumed that glow powered airplanes would be expensive, fragile, and complicated. I didn't have much success with my Aerobird Challenger, however, and I ran into a local club that let me try flying a glow trainer with one of the flight instructors. Boy was it eye-opening!

I found that the glow trainers were much better fliers in breezy conditions. I also found glow trainers easier to control, they just seemed to respond more positively and more consistently to my stick inputs. After flying for five minutes on a buddy box, I was hooked.

I bought a glow trainer and went through the club's flight training program. Once I started getting the hang of my glow trainer, I discovered that I could also fly my Aerobird Challenger a lot better than before.

I was surprised at the durability and inexpensive cost of operation that my trainer provided. Balsa and monokote bounced back nicely from less-than-ideal landings, but severe landings were easy to avoid because of the enhanced stability that the larger, heavier plane offered. Once I'd purchased my RTF glow trainer and field equipment, there weren't any additional costs except for a gallon of fuel every six or eight weeks and the occassional propeller.

Unlike yourself, however, I had no problem joining a local club and getting some help learning to fly. I enjoyed going out to the really nice club field that was just a few miles from home. I too had no building or mechanical experience, but Nebraska is windy all of the time, and I decided I'd rather fly my plane than stare out the window and wish the breeze wasn't so strong.

There will be a learning curve if you decide to try glow aircraft. You will need how to fuel up and tune your plane. You will need get some help from an experienced pilot who can show you how to safely operate and maintain your aircraft. Maybe you'd rather not make new friends who share your interest in flying model aircraft.

If you must stick to electric aircraft, I'd advise you to check out some of the excellent and affordable electric flying wings that are available as ARFs or RTFs. They handle wind well, can be flown fast or slow, are affordable, and are a relatively easy step up from a first airplane.

I need to quote this post whenever anyone recommends one of those 3 channel SuperCubs as a training plane because they perceive it to be the cheaper route... u-huh...

Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
justindp

this is the first time I have registered for any website in my life, so bear with me if I'm doing something wrong. I recently purchased a blade cx2. In the process of trying to set the trims right i wrecked it! I've just received the replacement parts to fix it (top and bottom rotars, swashplat, inner and outer shafts) however before I start this process of fixing it I want to make sure that all is for not. reason... when looking at the heli from the side, the bottom rotar is not parralell to the top rotar as it was when I took it out of the box. Example,  the bottom left rotar is 3-4 inches apart from the top left rotar and the bottom right rotar is 1-2 inches from the right top rotar. Sorry if how I have explaned this is  too confusing because I just read it back and it confuses me. But if someone did understand my explanation please let me know if somthing else mite be wrong with my heli. I probably won"t be back online till tomorrow but any advice on this would be greatly appriated!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Well you brought a 3 year old dead thread back to life! LOL

You might try going to a heli thread to get some help. Good luck with the heli. Scoot
Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM
justindp

thanks scoot but as i said i am new to both these venues, Helis and talking online, in fact you are the first person ever to contact me on the web. However, I'm not sure what you meant by trying a heli thread.  If I seem too high maintenace just let me know and I'll ease up some!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Follow this link and repost your question there.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_165/tt.htm

The link is to the Helicopters Beginner's thread. They will be able to help you out. Your question here is posted in the Airplanes Beginner's forum.

Ken