Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Zurich Sunglasses - Junk?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Zurich Sunglasses - Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:19 PM
garywi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zurich Sunglasses - Junk?

I bought Zurich Z2's (which now I don't think they make any longer), and the temples (ear pieces) keep breaking where they snap onto the main sunglasses.

I have ordered new ones twice.

I just take them out of the case, open up the temples and they break off.

Gary
Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Zurich Sunglasses - Junk?

Interesting. I`ve had two pair of the " old style " now for several years and never had any problems. I never fly without them.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I to have a set of Zurich glasses and I will not fly without them. I did have one ear piece break off a while back. I sent them back to Zurich and they repaired them no charge. Top notch glasses and top notch service, a winner in my book. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
garywi

I can't belive it. I have went through 4 temples (ear pieces), which keep breaking on my Z2's. The last two that Zurich sent me, the lady said "we are trying a stronger type of plastic, and they know they have a problem.

I have always bought expensive sun glasses for driving and sports, so I know how to take care of glasses. These Z2s are just junk.

Who else makes a similar set of glasses so I can buy instead?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 06:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gary,
I can't tell you about the Z2's because I haven't used them. But I do have a pair of the Z1's and like DavidAgar I won't fly without them. I have met the people from Zurich and I know that they give the best support around. Give them a call and see if you can switch out to a pair of the Z1's. You won't be sorry.

Ken
Old 01-27-2008, 08:26 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

I have a pair and so does my girlfriend. She loves them, as do I. In fact, I scratched my lenses up this past season and I intend to buy a new pair.

Julie's broke at the temple as yours did. Zurich said to send them back and they will replace them.. no charge.

Can't beat that for service. And, as Ken, I met the folks from Zurich. Very nice people. When I wanted a pair for Julie, I called them and caught them as they were actually leaving to go to an RC show as a vendor. The lady I spoke to said she would send me out a pair for her and to just call them the following week with my credit card info. They arrived the NEXT DAY!!! I called in my CC number on the following Tuesday when they were in the office. Not only are the glasses great, but the people are completely trustworthy and trusting souls!! Great to do business with for sure.

CGr.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
manks7477

ORIGINAL: garywi

I bought Zurich Z2's (which now I don't think they make any longer), and the temples (ear pieces) keep breaking where they snap onto the main sunglasses.

I have ordered new ones twice.

I just take them out of the case, open up the temples and they break off.

Gary

I know nothing about Zurich, but if you want a serious pair of sunglasses, check out Maui Jim, I have had many good pairs of sunglasses, and they are by far the best I have ever had, extreme conditions, haze, twilight, they are great. There are some things that are worth the extra money you spend on the, Maui Jim's are one of those things
Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
CGRetired

Zurich makes two types of glasses. One is regular glasses (with several tints available) and the other is a type that goes over your regular glasses, and in several tints. An excellent product.

http://www.zurichsunglasses.com/
Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 AM
flyingJ

I don't wear prescription lenses but still get an eye exam regularly. I told my Dr. about my hobby and asked his oppion about caring for my eyes while flying. He suggested buying good sun glasses with polarized lenses, neutral gray tint and UVa and UVb protection. After checking at "sunglass hut" and others I found some really great ones at a marina. The fellow there was telling me that being out on the water all day places a heavy strain on your eyes due to light reflecting off the water. The best thing was we took a few pairs that I liked the style of, and went out on his boat to try them. With out the glasses you could see a few feet into the water, with them on the glare was reduced and you could see several more feet into the water. I bought a pair that liked and they all had performed well, he said to wear them next time I flew and if they didn't perform the way I liked he would exchange them. With the light blocking of the lense I have a clear sharp image of the plane.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM
B.L.E.

I bought some Cocoons brand wear over your prescription sunglasses from Cabelas and I won't fly without them now. Polarized amber tint really makes the plane stand out in the sky. Not a single case of tearing eyes with them on. These cost about $40 and I think they were worth every penny. I was going to get some Zurichs but I couldn't find a local dealer.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 AM
stmcknig

I had the same failure with the temples due to the design flaw on the hinges which stresses the plastic, cracks it and ultimately makes it fall apart. I had the same happen to both temples and as with most of the other comments here I was doing nothing more than regular use, once a week for about nine months. So that's not even daily use......

I emailed their customer support, sent photos of the damage and indicated that it looked like a plastic problem. They replied back that they would happily replace them once I sent them $4.95 for shipping.

What?

It's a frickkin design problem and you're trying to scam me on the postage? These things would mail for under a buck and probably cost 50 cents. I emailed back to query this policy as a first time failure but received no reply at all.

Most other companies are honest enough to put their hand in the air on a design flaw (at least on the first enquiry/failure) and do the right thing.

I've consigned these to the As Seen on TV category and found a sturdier alternative. In their present form, I can't recommend them.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a pair of Z1s. I have also replaced both ear pieces. They sent them at no charge and did not give me any trouble. At the time they were less than a year old. Overall I would rate these a 5 of 10. I would rate them higher if they cost 40 or $50. At $70 they are a little pricey.

David
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
hulio516

I get my glasses from ...............

The Dollar General - $3 a pair.

They work just fine! [8D]
Old 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM
CGRetired

Hey, different strokes for different folks. I bought a pair for my friend (female) and she absolutely loves them. Great eye protection and a pretty good design.

I have a pair that goes over my prescription glasses and use them all the time.

CGr.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

I won't go anywhere without my Oakleys. I have 2 pairs 1 has a dark polarized lens, and the other has a light polarized lens.
I have had my plane fly directly in front of the sun during a contest and never lost sight of it. IMO after wearing cheap polarized
glasses for years while fishing, then buying some expensive ones THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. The biggest problem is the 110 dollar
pricetag for my glasses. but my eyes are worth it. I had not yet heard of Zurich before I bought mine, but I wouldn't hesitate to try them.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:50 PM
hulio516

I use these 3-D glasses when I fly my 3-D planes .....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50946.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1142099  
Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
CGRetired

Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I am posting this on behalf of Bruce Holden. Please contact Bruce directly as your comments posted to this thread will likely go unread or at the very least unanswered.

http://www.zurichsunglasses.com/Contact/contact.html

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Subject: Zurich Pilot - Temples

I don’t blame you for being upset at the breakages of the “Pilot” style Zurich sunglasses. I would be too, if it happened to me.

Please allow me to give you a peek behind the scene of this manufacturer. As an Optician, it was my dream to make sunglasses work better and last longer than other sunglasses (even expensive ones) on the market.

Twenty-three years ago I started out with the “Original” style sunglasses with the same goals. After the first 3 to 5 years, I finally got all the “bugs” worked out, and my dream was eventually realized. Now I can say that the “Original” style sunglasses accomplishes or performs all that we promote them to do.

Our sunglass styles are not based on the latest fashions, like other brands of sunglasses. Zurich’s are made to protect your eyes from sun damage and to cut extreme glare, so that you can track your plane in the sun. No other sunglasses attempts to do the same.

As Dr. Steinberg, O.D. (leading Optometrist) points out on our website, the RC airplane hobby is especially “dangerous” for the eyes, far more than any other sport or outdoor hobby. Therefore, RC modelers need more protection than most. We are very serious about eye protection, as well as, cutting that bright glare so that you won’t lose your plane in the sun.

About a year or so ago, we became aware of the breakage problem on our new fashion style “Pilot” style sunglasses. We had engineered the Pilot style to be highly break resistant. We were greatly disappointed when the breakages started to occur. We began the process of trying to determine the reason for the breakage, and to resolve this problem.

Unfortunately, about this time I became seriously ill (in January of 2008), and was at death’s door. All my initial investigation, research and funds came to a screeching halt until I recently recovered. THANK GOD!!! I am now 100% well and continuing to solve the breakage problem … which should not have occurred, according to the design engineer who assured me that the temples would not break.

My original dream and my promise to you, as our customer, is that I will correct this problem as soon as I can. I too, want to stop the breakage and offer a quality product as promoted.

Meanwhile, we will NOT charge for replacement temples or for shipping. You will get free replacements – no cost to you at all until this problem is resolved. Please contact us for any other concerns or for replacement of the Pilot temples. We really do care about the quality of our products, and we care about you, being satisfied with our products.

Thank you for reading this, and for your understanding and consideration.

Bruce Holden
Owner/Optician
Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 PM
stmcknig

Nathan,

Thanks for posting this - I appreciate Bruce's explanation and I have contacted him as requested. On the optical quality I had no complaints but it's pretty hard to wear them when the temples keep self destructing. Hopefully, the design changes will resolve this.

I'll repost to the group once we see how the movie ends....
Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 AM
BobMaine

I'll be interested if/when they get the ear pieces fixed. Anyone know the prices on these glasses? And best place to buy them?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 AM
goliathman

From Zurich web page:

"If you need replacement temples (ear pieces), they are free. If you see one of our representatives at any show or event, you can receive a pair at no charge. However, if we need to mail them to you from the Zurich office, we charge a small fee of $3.95 for shipping/handling.

If your Zurich lenses are broken, we need to see them. Send them back to the Zurich office along with a check for $8.95 for return shipping/handling. Make sure you write clearly your name, address and phone number."

They cost $60. I tried to fit a pair at Nall last year but the vendor was being very rude about fitting them over my glasses and I had to walk away from the A-hole.

I’m guessing the cost is in the coating, but they looked and felt cheap to me and there’s NO way their worth $60.

Heres a link for Cabela's http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0023941 $45.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
goliathman

Well they sure do have a quick responce time.

Dear goliathman,

I am sorry our rep was so rude to you at Joe Nall. Unfortunately, he is not normally rude. During that time of year, he found out that he had a progressive throat cancer, and he was not feeling well at all. He since had chemo and radiation treatment, and he is doing better now. I am very sorry for his treatment of you, and we have heard of others too.

It sound like you are talking about the "Original" style sunglasses, which fits over prescription lenses (RX). Our Original Zurich will fit over most RX lenses. For smaller RX frames, we do have a "velcro shelf" adaptation to our temples to make the RX frames fit better inside the Zurich.

When broken, we offer free replacements (lenses and temples) at the shows/events. However, back in the office, we have overhead costs to cover - that's the reason for the nominal fee. In these hard economic times, many small companies go out of business. We've made a conscientious effort not to raise our sunglass prices (even though our raw materials and production costs has risen) in 10+ years. So, the nominal fee charged for office expenses is very fair.

Our sunglasses are all made and coated in the USA. Our material used is the best optical quality for lenses, including the coatings. Our lenses have pure optics, just like the RX lens quality - which is the reason for the higher costs. Our sunglasses mold (in making of our lenses) are optically ground and polished for clarity. Think about how expensive RX lenses are (RX sunglasses too) ... that's because of the optical grounding process. It is labor and machine costs involved. These processes are very costly here in the USA. However, the quality is here too.

Our coatings are the best in the industry, which is only scratch resistant, and not scratch proof. Since they can still be scratched, you need to treat them with reasonable care. Only use cotton cloths to wipe them with and only use mild dish liquid soap to clean them with.

If you own a pair of our sunglasses, and you are having problems with them, please let me help you. If you are just inquiring out them, please let me know what other questions you may have.

Best Regards,
Esther
Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
stmcknig

Just to update everybody that Bruce did email me and I sent off the broken temples with the glasses. I received back a new pair although I don't see any obvious changes to the design so I can only hope that a more durable plastic was used otherwise I can expect these to fail again I would think.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

To all Z-2 Pilot Zurich sunglass customers,

As I mentioned in a previous note, we have been working to strengthen the Z-2 temples because of breakages. After several months of challenging work, the new generation of temples are much, much stronger than those previously made. They are definitely superior.

We are sorry that the breakages occurred and will be happy to replace any of the old sets that our customers may have. We will also send them with no shipping charges for the rest of this year. You will be glad to know that your Zurich Sunglasses are as strong as we have reported them to be. They work better and last longer than ordinary sunglasses.

A big hearty hanks to our loyal customers and friends who stood by us during these trying times. We will do our best to make it right.

Bruce Holden
“Extreme Glare” Sunglasses
Zurich International
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: TideFlyer

Interesting. I`ve had two pair of the " old style " now for several years and never had any problems. I never fly without them.
+1. I've had mine for two seasons and wouldn't use anything else. They've been abused a bit, but have never broken. Have you brought this to the manufacturers attention? What did they say?