Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

10 year old daughter wants to fly

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

10 year old daughter wants to fly

Old 03-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Stanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 year old daughter wants to fly

Well let me says I LOVE RCU, and you guys are the best. I was going to rush out and buy what our LHS had in stock. But in no way do I want to purchase for the sake of convenience and give my daughter something that will frustrate her. I'm going to research the flyer's that you guys have suggested and will return with a new narrowed down selection for additional advise.

Thanks again
Old 03-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Just to add to Scars post:
When i got my electric Topic i brought the Hi-tec 3Ch 27MHZ set, i have a FF6 but run out of memorys and just wanted a simple set up, i dont mind the cheap tranny getting sand blasted on the dunes.
Always buy the best you can afford, if your looking towards glow and IC in the future then buy a 4ch set now, computer if you can afford it. you'll just be stuck when you get plane number two, three, four ect.
You haven't limited your self by choosing electric first time out, yes if the first was IC and then the second you could transfer the gear and engine, but then your left with an unflyable first plane
Old 03-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Ghostbear

Default Glow

Based on my 9 and a 12 year old daughters, I wouldn't recommend Glow UNLESS its as much for you as for her.

Glow requires a field, and instructor, and more and messier equipment than a simple electric like Soarstar or Slow stick.

I would be prepared for a girl at that age to be interested sporadically.

Anyway...
Old 03-28-2003, 07:31 PM
Stanger

Philly, the plane I purchase would strictly be hers, I have my own glows to choose from. Plus, once the box is in her hands, I don't think getting it back will be easy

Ghostbear, those are my thoughts exactly. And if she sticks with it, I have glow trainers I can pass down to her.

Scar, I appreciate all the advise I have received. Some experienced flyer's have recommended electric and some experienced flyer's have recommended glow. And all have been kind enough to suggest different makes, models, size etc. All I can hope is that when I make a decision, that all who has contributed to this thread, knows that it was greatly appreciated. And if I haven't chosen their make, model or color, that they are not offended.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

If its going to be hers forget a computer tranny with all its buttons and switches to play with ( cough cough knock off ), stick with the Hi-Tec set, simple, tough, almost child proof
Old 03-28-2003, 08:00 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I want to second the Slow Stick. Got my son one for Christmas and he had a ball with it. It was great because he wasn't tied to me via the trainer cord all the time. I could just give him the radio and batteries and turn him loose. He learned a lot really quick. He's now flying a Sig 4*60 and doing very well.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Slo Stick
Old 03-30-2003, 04:45 PM
fishdeth

I just got back from flying my Slow Stick at a local baseball park.
Flew 3 1/2 packs 6 cell 900 Mah NiMH till it was too dark to see.
WoW this thing is more fun than a KID should have... let alone an adult !
What a stable, easy, forgiving plane this is.
I was doing a touch & go and when the wheels touched I hit the throttle & pulled the stick back (too much) & she went straight up... threw the stick forward & she leveled out & flew away !!!
Amazing !

IMHO This should be EVERYONES first plane.....

Question : Where do ya'll rout your antennae ? I am using a Hitec RDC 3500... BIG with a long antennae wire.
I ran it back the shaft to the end & around the end & back up the fuse about 16" fastened with zip ties.
I am getting a lot of glitches & have to pull the throttle back & reset the SC.
Is this setup OK, or would you suggest something else ?

Thanks,
Jim

PS... I did my first couple of loops today... BOY that wing flexes alot !
Old 03-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Ghostbear

Default You might try

I have a Merlin which is similar to your plane.

The antenna routes along the fuselage then trails behind the plane. You probably need to make sure its going to be fully extended in flight.

As to the wing flex, I took some electrical tape and light thread and made some rigging from the landing gear struts out to the end of the wing. It cut down on the flexing and made it easier to do loops.

Something like that might work for you.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
CRASH10
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: 10 year old daughter wants to fly

omg don't waste your money on an aerobird type plane they stink and not so easy....Get her a slow stick from towers they are easy to fly you cant hurt them and when you put lights on them they rock at night.....
Old 05-17-2007, 10:35 AM
opjose

I started my 10 year old daughter out on an electric foamy, but it was too responsive for her and she lawn-darted it on her third day out.

She has been flying a GLOW ( yes that's right GLOW ) Alpha 40, and now takes the club flight training classes.

She loves this. She has commented on how much easier the Trainer is to fly which has given her lots of confidence.

Her instructor started her off doing nothing more than running the plane up and down the field during her first session, doing ground donuts, etc. She had a blast.

Her second session had her flying the plane most of the time.

The large size made it easy for her to see and increased her confidence.

I expect that she will be flying the Alpha for quite a while, even after she gets her "Prop" ( our club gives out propeller plaques for certification... ).

Don't overlook the bigger high wing trainers.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:14 PM
fishdeth

ORIGINAL: fishdeth

I just got back from flying my Slow Stick at a local baseball park.
Flew 3 1/2 packs 6 cell 900 Mah NiMH till it was too dark to see.
WoW this thing is more fun than a KID should have... let alone an adult !
What a stable, easy, forgiving plane this is.
I was doing a touch & go and when the wheels touched I hit the throttle & pulled the stick back (too much) & she went straight up... threw the stick forward & she leveled out & flew away !!!
Amazing !

IMHO This should be EVERYONES first plane.....

Question : Where do ya'll rout your antennae ? I am using a Hitec RDC 3500... BIG with a long antennae wire.
I ran it back the shaft to the end & around the end & back up the fuse about 16" fastened with zip ties.
I am getting a lot of glitches & have to pull the throttle back & reset the SC.
Is this setup OK, or would you suggest something else ?

Thanks,
Jim

PS... I did my first couple of loops today... BOY that wing flexes alot !
OMG !!! Look what I am flying today !!!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34283.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	691733  
Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 PM
jetmech05

My daughter solod at 9 on a 4 channel Kadet LT-40. It's great
Go have fun Dad
Old 05-28-2007, 07:11 AM
2HI2C

My 9 yr old son learned to fly on the H9 PTS P-51. He took over after about 10 or 12 flights, He has been flying for a yr now. Still has it.

Name:	Mk25193.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	692802  
Old 05-28-2007, 09:47 PM
darneir

i started flying when i was 12, 2 years ago, my dad tried to start me out with a little more than i could handle a 4 channel ducted fan SU-27 Flanker, unfortunatley i destroyed it, i didnt understand the areodynamics and flight mechanics like i do now, he later got me a flight sim, G3 real flight and that helped greatley, our second plane was a red hawk 3 channel powered glider i learned great off of it, about 12 flights before i toasted it as well, then we tried for a 4 channel EPP Foam Biplane, i flew it once and smack straight into a basket ball court but that was my own fault for flying in the wind, anyway i suggest a flight sim, and somthing similar to a red hawk, not like i have much room to talk tho, 2 years of flight experience isnt much to go on, just the kinda stuff i learned on. good luck, i still have yet to fly a Nitro powered plan they are a little to expensive for us at the moment.

Name:	Ki19157.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	693357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67437.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	693358