Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First time on ailarons

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First time on ailarons

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 02:38 AM
Scalebuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time on ailarons

well the guys down the flying club wont give up on me... been flying for a long time but only on rudder

so i just decided to take the plunge and start using ailarons for the first time

is there anything i should be worried about?? i dont want to look a complete fool this week end and bury my plane LOL...

i have been practicing on a simulator the pat few days and im as good with ailarons on there as i am with rudder (just getting used to swaping the sticks round )...

any last minute adcise on these beasts ??

tnx in advance
Old 03-27-2003, 07:07 AM
Woodsy

Nope. I fly both with no probs, but there are some old timer fliers that get stressed out about flying ailerons.

ITS EXACTLY THE SAME, even easier to do stunts with ailerons.

the thumb that banked with rudder now banks with ailerons.

SAME, SAME dont even think about it
Old 03-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Scalebuff

but there are some old timer fliers that get stressed out about flying ailerons
Thats me!!!!! LOL...

tnx for the info though just sounds a bitt hairy right now
Old 03-27-2003, 04:04 PM
banktoturn

Gizz,

Don't worry about a thing. Actually, although there are other opinions on this topic, you have never flown a plane before. An airframe with only a rudder is not an airplane, but a slow and inadequate missile. Airplanes have ailerons, and that is that. This habit of recommending that beginners fly with rudder and dihedral rather than ailerons is baffling to me. The strong coupling of yaw and roll rather eliminates the possibility of learning to use the rudder to correct yaw, and does not really simplify flying in any way. Just my strongly held opinion. In any case, if you have been comfortably flying with rudder-only, I think you will have no problems.

Good luck,

banktoturn
Old 03-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Slug

Gizz,

Just a little concerned about your mention of swapping sticks around.

Your ailerons should be controlled by the same stick your rudder used to be.
The rudder now moves to channel 4 on the other stick. You will have to remember to use rudder for ground control (on the other stick !!)

Flying with ailerons is no more difficult than flying with rudder, fear not.

Simon.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Scalebuff

Slug,

ctualy thats what i meant to say as regards to "swaping sticks" never was good at english LOL...

tnx again guys for your comments ill take to the air this week end and burn up the skys
Old 03-27-2003, 10:54 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One piece of advice...

If you get in trouble, LEVEL the wings with the ailerons BEFORE pulling up elevator!
Old 03-28-2003, 01:39 AM
Scalebuff

U just had to come and spoil it didnt u "MinnFlyer" LOL ill keep that in mind
Old 03-28-2003, 02:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It may sound silly, but not leveling the wings first is probably (from what I have seen) the #1 cause of rookie crashes.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Unstable

from all the rookies mistakes I have seen its always a matter of them trying to get the airplane going in a diffrent direction before they get control of the plane... I always say that if you are in trouble, level it out *then* climb. once you are level then you can worry about the direction the plane is going
Old 03-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

You'll never want to go back. I learned on a 3 channel Kadet MKII. Later I butchered the wing and put ailerons on it. Waaayyyyy better with ailerons.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:20 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Don't Fear the Ailerons! It is Soooooooo!! much better.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Wildcard

Default No ailerons?

I don't know how anyone learns without ailerons. I have a LT-40 and the days you can fly in winter are few and far between, so when a sunny, but breezy day came around a friend and I went out to fly. I was so eager to get up and fly I forgot to hook up the ailerons. To make things worse, you guessed it, I forgot to do a flight control check. No sooner then I got in the air but, the wind was knocking it around so much I had a hard time keeping the wings level. The wind just kept pushing it further and further away. Not realizing that I had forgot to hook up the ailerons I just got it as close to the ground as I could and let the nose plant into the ground. :cry: I know I still have alot to learn, but I'm glad I started with ailerons. Brett
Old 04-03-2003, 03:22 AM
KCFlyBoy

I had the servo horn screw at the servo fall out in flight the horn came off and I had no control. Fortunately a buddy came running and shouted some suggestions on the way. He said move the left hand with the right. I had only used the rudder on the ground before and that helped me to keep it together until i got it down with minor damage.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Wildcard...
I had a similar experience while flying a scratch fuselage high winger with wings and tail parts from an old RCM Funster I built up as a camera ship. It had flaps, but when the camera was used it operated off the flap channel and they were locked in neurtral. This day I didn't have the camera. Like you, in a rush to fly, I made an error, I hooked the ailerons to the flap plug. No control check either! Once airborne I found I had a problem. Realizing what it was I let it gain altitude. I yelled out and the rest of the guys let me have all the air. Throttling back just above Idle I fed in a tad of Up Trim on the elevator. With some right rudder and some Up elevator I got the right wing tip to drop. Neutral elevator and a jab of left rudder brought it up. OK, then I knew I could fly it down. The great lift capabilities (similar to an LT-40 wing) helped get that 72" cabin job around the pattern, and into a wide flat turn onto final. Going to full idle in a flat descent I just guided it down to a soft T.D. Some of the guys, discovering what had just happened couldn't believe I got it down safetly on rudder only. Years ago we started flying on Rudder and Elevator only, no Throttle or Ailerons, so when my brain went into Rerun I reacted automatically. I didn't mind the pats on the back a bit.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Scalebuff

Well you guys were right

just got back and what a blast! felt just like rudder only i had a lot more control and actualy felt more stable

im actualy pleased i learnt on rudder though for the reason above as i know i could bring a ship in safely on rudder only

tnx for your help guys u dont know how much easyier it was on the field today after your comments, all take off's and landings were first class on the hole a damn good day ...

only thing was on the first landing the plane must have kicked a stick up or a lump of sheep dung as when i went to get the plane the was a hole in the top of the tail plane ... but once i had got my head round ailarons i wasnt worried just refueld and up she went again LOL, maybe i shouldnt have but hey its only a old plane if she went in it would just make more room in the hanger

tnx again guys

happy landings!
Old 04-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I'm glad it all worked out fine. I knew you would like it. Sounds like fun!
Old 04-09-2003, 02:18 AM
KCFlyBoy

Default I knew you would like it!

Originally posted by KCFlyBoy
Don't Fear the Ailerons! It is Soooooooo!! much better.
Ailerons are better!!!!!