Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 60 Size Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Great Planes 60 Size Cub

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 10:43 PM
RENORACER
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes 60 Size Cub

I am nearing compleation on this 90 in. Cub, and am using an OS 91 FX for power. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how this plane will fly , And if it has any bad tendencies. I would really appreciate any input on this as I am not a very experianced flier.

Thanks RenoRacer
Old 09-07-2002, 07:57 PM
RENORACER

Thanks for the input, Does any one know what type and size prop I should use. On the first run in, I had a 13x8 wood prop and it didnt seem to be getting the rpm it should. (all tho I did have a hard time holding on to the plane.) It seemed to be plenty of power, just didnt rev real high. Could this be because the engine is new and not yet broke in. The 91Fx I am hoping will be enough power as I am at a pretty high elevation. (approx. 5000 ft.)

Any Thoughts?

RenoRacer
Old 09-08-2002, 08:30 AM
FHHuber
Banned

The .91 FX should be PLENTY of power. (left stick works... use it.) Watch out for the excess power causing torque-turn problems on take-off. Slow application of throttle will help prevent problems.

The larger engines, swinging long props won't turn the high rpm like the .40's. Getting the blade tip speed up over 500 mph is a bad idea, even if the engine could push the prop that fast. Makes a lot of noise, puts some strange loads on the engine, and doesn't really add any thrust. (Mach effects are starting to show at that speed)
Old 09-09-2002, 06:47 AM
RENORACER

Thanks again for the positive note. I am also unhappy with the way the cowling is. I would like to change it to a Super Cub type cowl. Any one have any ideas on where to get one or is it possible make my own, and if so, how to go about it.

Any input greatly appreciated

RenoRacer