Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ok, I have to ask about Hitec Servos

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ok, I have to ask about Hitec Servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:43 PM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ok, I have to ask about Hitec Servos

Gee I on the other hand have been very pleased with those gears. Had a bad accident with one of my planes and the servos that were not karbonite were stripped. That is about all I use anymore. I do have some metal ones on my larger torque servos.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Jburry

From what I've read on them (a fair amount, actually), they are a very strong gear when it comes to transmitting the normal aerodynamic loads. Their weakness seems to be revealed when they'er subjected to extreme cyclical loads, like the vibration induced in the control surfaces of many gassers. It's neither the shock loads nor the sustained loads that are the problem, but fatigue from vibration.

When they were first released a couple years ago, Hitec listed them as suitable for gassers. They no longer do. Speaks volumes to me.

Another problem early on with them had nothing at all to do with the strenght of the gears at all. Modlers were lock-tighting the servo arm screws in place. The locktight chemically weakened the output shafts, causing shaft failures.

I haven't got any right now, and am in no rush to get some. In the bulk of my planes, nylon gears have served very well. I'll use MG's when the loads warrant it. I'd use karbonite gears if I was given a planefull of them, but don't see the need to purchase them myself.

J
Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
goirish

Hey Jburry

ya gotta step out of the box and try them. I mean after all, I tried the resin gears.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:34 PM
StevL

I understand the karbonite gears have been broken fairly often with a lot of the 3d guys flying profiles. This is before most of them decided on either nylom or metal.

I read somewhere that thread lock will make the karbonite very brittle, but I never knew you needed thread lock on karbonite?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: StevL
I read somewhere that thread lock will make the karbonite very brittle, but I never knew you needed thread lock on karbonite?
You don't. People used it in error and broke their output shafts; then blamed Hitec.